"Interruptions" replaces "Blocking Mode" on 5.0 -- I don't understand it!?

Brady KEITH

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I've reviewed threads on other sites regarding how to use "Interruptions". I still don't get it.

I'm looking for "Blocking Mode" functionality, as follows:
From X:XX p.m. to X:XX a.m., I want the alarm to sound, but no other calls/notifications/etc.

How do I do this?

Thanks in advance. ;-)

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
i have a solution and it is not one you will find in a menu on the phone.

I installed MacroDroid and use it to quiet the phone at 2200 hours each night.

It stays mute as a dead log until I wake up and arouse the phone myself.

If you require it to wake up at a specific time, that is just as easy to do, you merely choose a specific trigger to get the job done.

* MacroDroid - Device Automation - Android Apps on Google Play

I will go thru it step by step for you. I am using the Premium version because it allows more than 1 Action per macro. You can use the free version which gives you 5 macros with only one function each. Still I can still accomplish what you want with the free one.

to create a new macro, you click on the PLUS sign.

Macro #1, we will name it "Quiet Hours"

Trigger: Day/Time Trigger
... select the days it needs to work
... set the time for it to activate, ie, 2200 hours and press OK

Action:Set Volume
... check off each that needs to be muted, I picked Notification; Ringer; System sounds;
... slide the volume control to the far left
... press OK

as this is the "free version" no more actions can be added, touch the Right Arrow

ignore Constraints, touch the Right Arrow

Enter the macro name: Quiet Hours 2200 and then press OK
........ it will go to the main menu

Macro #2, we will call it "Wake UP"

hit the plus sign

Trigger: Day/Time Trigger
... select the days it needs to work
... set the time for it to activate, ie, 0600 hours and press OK

Action:Set Volume
... check off each that needs to be un-muted, I picked Notification; Ringer; System sounds;
... slide the volume control to the far Right or lower as you choose
... press OK

as this is the "free version" no more actions can be added, touch the Right Arrow

ignore Constraints, touch the Right Arrow

Enter the macro name: Wake Up 0600 and then press OK
........ it will go to the main menu

Now, when the phone's clock reaches 2200 hours (10 PM) my phone mutes itself and I enjoy a full night's sleep without annoying phone calls or sloppy battery charge full notifications or stupid middle of the night SMS greetings or telemarketers or Facebook notifications, etc.

All is good until 0600 and Macro #2 activates and wakes the phone up.

At 0601 hrs Alarm Clock Plus goes off and lets me know to get my buns out of bed, take a shower, grab a biscuit/sausage and pop it in the micro and get off to work.

Enjoy............ works for me.

montanaxvi

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Not a fan of this new "feature" blocking mode did what I needed by allowing the wife and a few superiors at work to get through. Now the choices are limited to All, Favorites or contacts only. The problem with that being that favorites are chosen by default based on who you contact the most, which means for me the various agencies, subordinates etc. that I speak to multiple times on a daily basis show up as favorites and these are not people that I need to have getting through blocking mode.

I know I can adjust favorites, but as I already indicated, the list can be manipulated without your input based solely on how often you speak to someone.

MattE303

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I've reviewed threads on other sites regarding how to use "Interruptions". I still don't get it.

I'm looking for "Blocking Mode" functionality, as follows:
From X:XX p.m. to X:XX a.m., I want the alarm to sound, but no other calls/notifications/etc.

How do I do this?

Thanks in advance. ;-)

You can do this in Lollipop. On the S5, go into Settings->Sound and notification->Interruptions. Make sure "Events and Reminders" is checked, and Phone calls and Messages are unchecked. Scroll down to the "Set priority interruption period", specify the Days you want and the time range. That's it!

MsSGriff

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
If you scroll down, you should see "Set priority interruption period"...then Days, Start Time, & End Time. You can click on these three things to set the days and times. You do have to tell it what to allow by checking the boxes or not checking the boxes listed in your screen shot above. You can also click on the From you have shown to change it from favorite contacts only to all contacts or to all...hope this helps. I still have to mess with the contacts list to see if I can mark specific people as favorite.

DarkUltra

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
If you scroll down, you should see "Set priority interruption period"...then Days, Start Time, & End Time. You can click on these three things to set the days and times. You do have to tell it what to allow by checking the boxes or not checking the boxes listed in your screen shot above. You can also click on the From you have shown to change it from favorite contacts only to all contacts or to all...hope this helps. I still have to mess with the contacts list to see if I can mark specific people as favorite.

Thank you for your reply. Nope, theres nothing more on my Interruptions page. Maybe it's just the way it us on Galaxy S5 lollipop.

What phones and OS do you guys have?

tbjorn

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I suffer from the exact same bug. I don't have the option to choose a time for which to enable interruptions. It's on a Samsung Galaxy S4 with 5.0.1.

Maciej Florczyk

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site
Hi!
I have the same problem with Note4. There is no possibility to choose time and contact groups which I want to be muted. This means the phone is useless for me. I hope they will fix this asap. This is a huge step backward comparing to kitkat.

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
It was a lot easier to just downgrade (upgrade IMHO) to Kit kat.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mike Trevor

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I have had Samsung 2,galaxy 3 now the SG 5
I have the tablet 2014 edition - cos I liked the interface with my phone.
My wife is on Apple & I've slagged Apple off for years but now I will be waiting for my phone contract to end &I will be going to the Dark side Apple as this update is pants

What were Samsung thinking of "No mute!!!

Dreadful

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I have the option to change the times on my S5. I scrolled down and it's there. But that only gives me ONE choice. I used an App, Silent Time, and I could choose work day, night AND church time. And have interruptions by important people (for example, my elderly father, who's 70, had a stroke 5 years ago, and just had eye surgery). But the app doesn't work with this upgrade. I do not like this part of the upgrade. I can't have my phone on loud (or really at all) at work.

I'm not going to Apple. Sorry, there isn't enough customization for me and other things I just don't want to deal with.

Maybe someone will come up with an App that will fix this. :hint, hint:

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Android programming brought to you by the Healthcare.gov programmers!

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
If you want a more powerful app go to the play store and download Agent. It features a "blocking mode" which you can configure Sunday through Saturday or pick days independently as well as who you can allow to get through during the silent mode. I have mine to always allow my wife to be able to contact me no matter what. That is just one of the things Agent can do. My other favorite is I can configure it to have my text messages not come through and send back an automated response well connected to my car's bluetooth. There are many more features to this wonderful app and I suggest looking at it and give it a try. By the way I am in no way affiliated with the developer except for the fact I use the app

2ndHalfCor

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendation, but it didn't work for me on my Note 3. I still get a notification that my "battery is fully charged" (so helpful! lol), that lights up the phone and wakes me even when the sleep agent is activated. The old blocking mode used to block all the notifications, but there seems to be unblockable notifications with lollipop. I hate it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888