Why no talk & surf at same time

dkjames71

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I've had my sprint Samsung Galaxy s5 for months now and I love it. Never really any problems. The one thing that pisses me off is that I can't talk on the phone and use my data at the same time. My previous phone htcEvo 4g LTE let me do it. This is was more like a downgrade in that sense. Is this the future of smart phones? Is it only a sprint thing? It really sucks not being able to look stuff up while you're on the phone.

Posted via Android Central App

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Only select vzw phones could talk and surf in the past due to being CDMA. Now that verizon has volte enabled they can. T-Mobile and Att always had that ability.

Sent from my T-Mobile Nexus 4 LTE using Tapatalk

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm with Verizon and I've have been able to talk and use the internet since I got the S5 soon after its release. IIRC I think I could do this with my previous phone, the HTC DNA, as well. If it matters I live in NYC.

kaicho

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Sprint uses CDMA...cannot work on this type of network. VRZ has both CDMA and GSM. ATT uses GSM.

Old Rocker using Tapatalk!

BadBoyBri

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
As it was explained to me:

AT&T recently sued Verizon and Sprint for patent infringement, on their Talk & Surf feature. AT&T won. So, from that point on, all newer Android phones, NOT on the AT&T network, can no longer Talk & Surf, unless you are using Wi-Fi!

Thats It! Thats why older phones can still do it, but GS5's on Verizon or Sprint can not! Not sure about T-Mobile.

I have a mobile hotspot, so by using my Wi-Fi, I can still Talk & Surf. But, if I'm out of range, I can't. Otherwise, you have to end your call to Surf, or send/receive pics.

Sorry, I dont make the rules! :-(

Posted via the Android Central App

Chris Bussie

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
This should resolve all issues with talk and surfing on the samsung galaxy s5. Go to your dial pad and punch in ##72786#. This will reset the provisioning on your phone. Your phone will disconnect from all sprint towers and reconnect. Once your phone has finished rebooting, it will do a hands free activation. After that is finished, smile and enjoy just like my last customer!!!!

Chris Bussie

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
##72786# will reset the provisioning on your android device. After a reboot and hands free activation, your phone will work like it's supposed to!!

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't know why carriers have to butcher phone features so badly. Just look at all the stuff that the Galaxy S5 can do, optionwise, then look at what was stripped out (for what reason???). I'm in Canada, and can talk while surfing (speaker or BT to chat and then read email, FB, etc...). What I can't do though is use multi-user. Why? Because I don't have it.

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
For some reason, my ATT phones have always been no talk and surf. May be the area I'm in, as when I start a phone call I drop to Edge. If I'm on Wifi, that's a different story.

jkayakj

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
The sprint lte phones can do talk and data at once.. With the triband spark phones ( which the gs5 falls under) they disabled it because the phones are single radio (aka the older lte phones would keep the lte radio on while making a call over CDMA, while the gs5 will drop the lte entirely and just have the CDMA which can't use data over calls)

Ariane Simpson

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
i'm with verizon and I added the advanced calling 1.0 and my phone and my parents phones weren't able if get calls or make them! I called support and they had to turn it off! My mom's and my phones are the galaxy note 5 and my dads phone is the galaxy s5!
Its stupid that we don't have this feature with these phones but did with our galaxy s4!
Took me 4 hours to be able to get calls and make calls again. New phones should have the feature of using whatever while on a call!

Sondra Sanchez

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
This should resolve all issues with talk and surfing on the samsung galaxy s5. Go to your dial pad and punch in ##72786#. This will reset the provisioning on your phone. Your phone will disconnect from all sprint towers and reconnect. Once your phone has finished rebooting, it will do a hands free activation. After that is finished, smile and enjoy just like my last customer!!!!
Oh yyeeahhh worked like a charm. Thanks dude

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I've had my sprint Samsung Galaxy s5 for months now and I love it. Never really any problems. The one thing that pisses me off is that I can't talk on the phone and use my data at the same time. My previous phone htcEvo 4g LTE let me do it. This is was more like a downgrade in that sense. Is this the future of smart phones? Is it only a sprint thing? It really sucks not being able to look stuff up while you're on the phone.

Posted via Android Central App

It's mostly a Sprint thing. I also had the Evo LTE and it was to my knowledge the only Sprint phone that could surf on 3G or 4G and call at the same time.

Some Sprint phones will do it on 4G still today. Basically now, if it's a Sprint Spark phone you are out of luck. The BlackBerry Q10 would do it on 4G only and I think the Galaxy S4 also. If it's a phone on Sprint that only uses the 1900 megahertz bands for 4G then you can talk/surf at the same time. I'm not sure what was so special about the Evo that it would do this on 3G.

Flicked from the BlackBerry Keyboard via the AC App on my S5

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site

Didn't know about this. I'll give it a go, thanks !

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why no talk & surf at same time

Didn't know about this. I'll give it a go, thanks !

Edit. This didn't work for the Sprint S5

Last edited:

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Edit. This didn't work for the Sprint S5

In fact, upon attempting this on another phone using the same code I was connected to a Verizon tower and told me that could not be completed. :s

Kinda weird.

Posted with the Android Central App on my BlackBerry Q10 via Android runtime...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo