Lollipop lockscreen notifications question

x1sspic

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I like to have SMS message preview on lockscreen. I have the settings set up for this. With kitkat the lockscreen didn't show other notifications, but with lollipop apps that have presence in the notification tray take up the lockscreen space. I have a gear fit and a weather app, so these apps are always on the top of the notifications on lockscreen. Any additional notifications show up as +1 etc, requiring a screenpress to expand and then show previews for all notifications. Because the gear fit and weather app are always on and the lockscreen only shows 2 notification previews with a + to expand for additional, text messages are never previewed without at least 1 screen tap. I want to be able to just glance at the screen with a new message to see preview and not have to tap away. I can turn the weather app off, but then lose the temperature on the top of the screen, and the gear fit notification can't be turned off without uninstalling. Setting them as sensitive just keeps the notification there without a preview. I tried setting messages as priority, but they still come in below the weather app and gear fit.

Is there any way that I haven't found to arrange notifications so that those apps are always on the bottom, or to have the lockscreen show more than 2 notification previews without having to hit the + button?

Thanks!

alil25

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I was having a similar issue with the weather and disliked it being on my lock screen. I don't like that I lost the temperature in the top bar but I like not having the big notification on my lock screen. I've noticed that I can see a message preview now where I couldn't before because the weather took up too much space.

I wish we could turn off the weather lock screen notification and keep the temp in status bar.

x1sspic

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
as a side note/update, I decided to upgrade from gear fit to a gear neo 2. The gear 2 neo manager notification does not populate the lockscreen like the gear fit manager did. I turned off the weather app notifications, so my lock screen is blank until another notification comes in (SMS, email etc). So not exactly a perfect fix, but by compromising and turning off the weather app notification and upgrading to a gear 2 I have achieved what I was looking for.

jreuschl

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Having same issue on the Note 4 update. Any way to prioritize on the lock screen what notifications show up/what order?

I even have Messages set as priority notification.

brandice75

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Some info that may help you... Go to Settings/Sounds & Notifications/While Locked, choose Show All Content; next go to Application Notifications, all listed Applications default to off, so you only need to address the ones you want back on, Music Player, Messages, Email, Gmail, etc.; under the ones you do not want the "preview" you show on the lock screen, select "Sensitive." This will put the small icon you used to see in the status bar during a lock screen in previous versions of Android Op Systems, but instead of up top, it drops it in a small bar below any notification not set to sensitive. The notifications not set to sensitive, but on priority, give you the preview on the lock screen, like maybe the weather. By showing all content on the lock screen, you get your Music Player controls back. Now the bar that shows the little icons on the lock screen that used to appear in the status bar can be swiped down to get a preview, and swiped back up to be consolidated as the little icons. I know that is still technically unsecured, but it sure beats not having the notifications there at all...

Last edited:

jreuschl

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Some info that may help you... Go to Settings/Sounds & Notifications/While Locked, choose Show All Content; next go to Application Notifications, all listed Applications default to off, so you only need to address the ones you want back on, Music Player, Messages, Email, Gmail, etc.; under the ones you do not want the "preview" you show on the lock screen, select "Sensitive.".

Here's an issue. If the phone just has swipe unlock set, then the sensitive option isn't available :(

Even if you select swipe pattern, it is NA.

brandice75

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I have a fingrprint w an alternate, or backup, password set as my security. IDK for certain if they upgraded the fingerprint scan software but it certainly seems more sensitive on Lollipop, over Kit Kat. Is that an option for you, use fingerprint instead?

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Here's an issue. If the phone just has swipe unlock set, then the sensitive option isn't available :(
Even if you select swipe pattern, it is NA.
I use swipe unlock too, and I just figured out how to do some prioritizing. As brandice75 said, go to Settings > Sound & notifications > Notifications on lock screen (on my S4; some have While locked), and choose Show all content. Then go to Application notifications and pick one you want to see on top of the list, and turn on Set as priority. (This impacts what happens if you use Do not disturb mode too.) This app's notifications will be at the top of the list on the lockscreen. Apparently, you can only choose 2; any more will always go under the + sign. But at least you can get message content to show.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emii