Can someone tell me when it's safe to install Lollipop?

Rebelvis

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I've been declining the update from Verizon for the better part of 2 months. It pops up the update screen every time I turn the phone on and I'm afraid I'll accidentally hit the "install" button.

Honestly, my phone works great right now and I've yet to hear anything about Lollipop that sounded like a must-have. Also, I have some apps...DJI Phantom, Foxfi...that work great right now and I don't want to risk them getting disabled. Finally, if part of the update involved totally resetting the phone, then forget it. No update should require you to essentially wipe your phone; that's nonsense.

I keep reading that new iterations of the update keep popping up (a sure sign the thing is flawed), so when if ever, can I go ahead with it. Anyone?

EMT3816

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
I was wondering the same thing, and came here today to post the same question. For the install window, if you wipe the cache partition from the recovery screen, then install the update, it will fail and not prompt you again for a while.

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Yeah the fixes are mostly out. Besides, if you delay it much longer, it will force itself.

Posted via the Android Central App

foxisbubba#AC

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Just did it yesterday. I have Verizon also and so far so good today.
I did follow the advice of others on AC and preformed a cache wipe and a full reset after installing the 1st update. Then I downloaded the 2nd update and wiped again. I didn't worry too much about battery life or performance yesterday because I knew the phone would be settling in for a good bit.

Today the phone is humming right along and the battery life is at least as good as it was and I anticipate it will be better once everything has settled down and after few restarts.

I like the new look and the notifications, feels like I have a new phone. I say go for it if you do a full wipe including your cache.

foxisbubba#AC

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Just did it yesterday. I have Verizon also and so far so good today.
I did follow the advice of others on AC and preformed a cache wipe and a full reset after installing the 1st update. Then I downloaded the 2nd update and wiped again. I didn't worry too much about battery life or performance yesterday because I knew the phone would be settling in for a good bit.

Today the phone is humming right along and the battery life is at least as good as it was and I anticipate it will be better once everything has settled down and after few restarts.

I like the new look and the notifications, feels like I have a new phone. I say go for it if you do a full wipe including your cache.

just a follow up for those on the fence on installing. Today is my 2nd full day on lolipop and I'm glad I decided to go through with the download and install. Battery life is excellent and I haven't noticed any lag or slow downs whatsoever. I took my phone off the charger at 6am today and I am still sitting at 62% with moderate use and 2 hours of screen time. Before lolipop I was having an issue with battery life at work because of signal strength at the office. I would guess battery life for me is about 25 to 30% better than previously with 4.4 KitKat.

I did wipe cache and perform a full factory reset prior to installing part 2 of lolipop and again after install which helped with stability I believe.
just my 2 cents, but its working great so far and it does kinda feel like a new device with lolipop changes and notifications.

deke40

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Huge download with only one small problem.

Did have a problem with Smart Lock Trusted Places malfunctioning but it was caused
By Google Play Services. Downloaded the 7.3.28 version from APKMirror and working again.

Rebelvis

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, but I think you're somewhat missing my point. First of all, what grand indispensable feature am I going to get with LP? I've yet to hear of one. Second, no damn update should force me to completely wipe my phone. People casually throw that out like it's no big deal, but that alone would waste hours of time getting my phone back to its original state...or close to it. Lastly, I'm glad the update (and complete phone reset) was no big deal for you, but clearly LOTS of people are experiencing significant, even crippling problems. Just look at the threads on this site.

So, I ask again; when, if ever is it safe to install Lollipop?

just a follow up for those on the fence on installing. Today is my 2nd full day on lolipop and I'm glad I decided to go through with the download and install. Battery life is excellent and I haven't noticed any lag or slow downs whatsoever. I took my phone off the charger at 6am today and I am still sitting at 62% with moderate use and 2 hours of screen time. Before lolipop I was having an issue with battery life at work because of signal strength at the office. I would guess battery life for me is about 25 to 30% better than previously with 4.4 KitKat.

I did wipe cache and perform a full factory reset prior to installing part 2 of lolipop and again after install which helped with stability I believe.
just my 2 cents, but its working great so far and it does kinda feel like a new device with lolipop changes and notifications.

deke40

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, but I think you're somewhat missing my point. First of all, what grand indispensable feature am I going to get with LP? I've yet to hear of one. Second, no damn update should force me to completely wipe my phone. People casually throw that out like it's no big deal, but that alone would waste hours of time getting my phone back to its original state...or close to it. Lastly, I'm glad the update (and complete phone reset) was no big deal for you, but clearly LOTS of people are experiencing significant, even crippling problems. Just look at the threads on this site.

So, I ask again; when, if ever is it safe to install Lollipop?

deke40

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
I did no wipe or reset and have had no problems with the update except the one I mentioned in my previous post.

I don't like the white background in "settings/gallery" but not a deal breaker. The "Trusted Places" addition was worth the upgrade in my opinion.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I am still running kitkat on both my S5 and nexus 7 2013.
Based on this thread it would seem those who factory reset are far less likely to have issues with the lollipop update. I am almost ready to make the jump knowing that the current release seems to be well received by those who are willing to wipe everything. As I am the type to use a device for a long as it performs reasonably I am wondering if there is a noticeable performance hit as far as lag, page loading and app launching are concerned?

Do you think at some point kitkat will limit me because it is out of date and not fully support?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa