How do I fix unfortunately, google play services have stopped error on my Glalaxy S5 (cant do anything else)?

A

AC Question

unfortunately, google play services have stopped error on glalaxy S5 (cant do anything else)

So, I was doing some things on my laptop, and i needed to get into my Gmail account, and of course, have forgotten the password because its always open on my Galaxy S5 so i go through the motions to have it reset.

A few hours later, i go to get on Chrome on my phone and it freezes up and tells me that "unfortunately, google services have stopped" and gives me the option to say okay, or to report. I press "OK" not thinking anything of the error, and it immediately comes back, over and over and over again when it finally goes to a different screen that displays my gmail account name and asks me to enter the letters i see in the captcha so i do, and it takes me to another screen asking me to enter my gmail account, and when i do, it tells me that this account already exists...well yeah...because its the one i use obviously...and i cant do anything else but hit the home screen, and the cycle starts all over again.

I am SO FRUSTRATEDDDD. What the heck is happening? I cant do anything, literally anything, other than continually hit "OK" just to have it pop up again. I'm about to lose my mind! HELP! And PLEASE be very specific.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: unfortunately, google play services have stopped error on glalaxy S5 (cant do anything else)

Welcome to the forums.

Did you set the device up with Android Device Manager?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: unfortunately, google play services have stopped error on glalaxy S5 (cant do anything else)

Try going to Settings>Accounts, and remove your Google account completely, then add it back again. Does that help?

Also, go to the Google Play Services app page on Google Play Store (on your computer browser), click Installed, and see if your phone is listed as eligible for an update. If so, select it, then wait a few minutes for the update to start on your phone. Now see if the problem persists.

kathleenangelika

May 1, 2015
Visit site

this was my post btw. it made me create an account to reply

johna2u

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site

It was probably asking if you had an existing account or wanted to create one. You most likely chose create instead of existing. So when you tryed to "create" an account with your existing name it told you that account name already existed. Just back up and choose log in to an existing account.

Sent from my SM-T320

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Go to Settings>Accounts-Google>[your Google account] where you see all of your Google services and the checkboxes to select whether or not to sync them. Tap the Menu button there--you should see an option for Remove Account.

Makitez

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
wooo wooo hang on i used an app called freedom trying to get some free stuff at play store when i uninstalled it i had this problem are you a root user if so i have a resources zip flash n fix if not theres an app that the fredom folks made to fix this problem unfortunatly i dont have that but sure as i found it you can heres the flashable zip hang on post in sec

Hossein Kaabi

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
I had the same problem , i tried to use old backups and restored the phone but didn't help.
So I tried to disable location services and then problem gone.
I think the location services is working like a timer getting the current location every second or so and probably cause the popup saying "google play..."
For me disabling location services fixed the problem.
Setting > Location > Off

Last edited:

David Forster1

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Its to do with location services. If you turn the location service off then the error message will also stop. But what if you want to use maps? Go into the location settings and change the high accuracy mode which uses wifi and gps, to gps only. For me at least, this eliminated the error message and still allowed location to work for navigation.

MeaganOC

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
None of these "fixes" worked for me. I cleared the cache under Google Play Services, cleared the phone cache, turned off location services, deleted and resinstalled my Google account, reset app preferences and restarted my phone over a dozen times in between and after every one of these, combinations of these, and then some.

This "Unfortunately, Google Play services has stopped" error message still pops up every few second and it's driving me crazy.
About to throw the phone out the window. Any other suggestions out there are greatly GREATLY appreciated!

Sonny2Gunz

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
The only way I can get this to stop is to uninstall the android wear app. It's the only thing that works for me, but also has made my Moto 360 a fancy bracelet.

MeaganOC

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Found this on another forum. Seems to have worked....for now!

Go into settings > security > phone administrators, uncheck the box for "android device manager"
Then go into setting > applications > application manager > google play services. I clicked "disable" then "uninstall" then I clicked "enable" again.
Also cleared my cache in both Google Play Services and Google Store and uninstalled Google account for safe measure.
Restart phone,
go back into settings > security > phone administrators, re-check the box for "android device manager"

Of course, not sure what functions of phone will not work now...but no more pop-ups! Whew.

ab7780

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
THANK YOU! It was driving me insane. One of the most annoying / simplest fixes I've ever experienced but no one I went to (including Verizon) knew what the heck was happening or how to fix it! Phew....