S5 bluetooth car issue..need help!

inlandknight

May 21, 2015
Visit site
My bluetooth for my car has 2 settings on the phone, media and call. The car will pick up the call part no problem. The media however will not automatically connect. I have to either reinstall the bluetooth connection and then make sure I press media first or as soon as I turn on the engine tick media before it picks up the call otherwise it does not work. Does anyone have a fix for this? I've tried bluetooth apps and been to the vw garage...neither have fixed the issue. Samsung said I need to restore my phone which I did and it's still the same, with the added inconvenience of putting everything back!!!

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Let's see if I have thid roght. You connect and tick Media, and the media box has a checkmark and everything works. You disconnect or turn the car or phone off, and the next time you connect, only Phone, and not Media is checked, and you can't check media once Phone is checked? Is that about it?

Then I'd say that your car audio and your phone aren't compatible. (Bluetooth specifies the pipe over which data flows, it doesn't specify the type of data or the format, so unless the phone and the car are "speaking" the same "language", you'll have problems. It's like calling someone in a country in which you don't speak the language. They answer the phone - you're connected - but you still can't understand each other.

If you're running Lollipop, then unless you have the latest VW update to the audio system, VW probably hasn't caught up with any Bluetooth changes in Lollipop (or they have but your dealer's service department hasn't applied the change to your car). If you're running an old version of Android, and a newer VW, and there's no update for your phone, it may be impossible to get them to communicate.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Another thing to consider is whether or not there are other Bluetooth devices in the car that might be competing with the car to connect with the phone. If you have Bluetooth headphones in the car, for example, the phone might be preferentially connecting with those for Media Audio.

inlandknight

May 21, 2015
Visit site
Rukbat...thanks for your reply! yeah that's all correct! I have even had a brand new head unit installed this week and the same thing is happening. I have the latest update on the phone (v5). I'm guessing it's another trip back to the garage to see if they can make sure the head unit has the latest update

B.diddy. thank you also. I only have my phone that has a bluetooth function. Nothing else affects the system.

inlandknight

May 21, 2015
Visit site
B. Diddy. Hi! Thanks for your reply. I only have my phone as a bluetooth device. No head units etc that could interfere.