I have the virus widebrowdroid.org on my Galaxy S5, how can I get rid of it?

A

AC Question

i have the virus widebrowdroid.org on my galaxy 5s

how do I get it of it will not let me go to the internet it blocks access

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: i have the virus widebrowdroid.org on my galaxy 5s

Welcome to Android Central! Is it a popup that only occurs when you're trying to browse? If so, does it show up on any browser, or just one?

Hoffi93

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site

Hey, I'm from Germany, I have the same problem with the internet browser. But only the normal browser, not Chrome.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! Try going to Settings>Apps>All, select the Browser, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. Now try again. Be aware that this will erase any saved bookmarks you might have.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
They belong to the Nightshade family I believe. The Solanaceae.

Posted via the Android Central App

Anthony Dear

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! Try going to Settings>Apps>All, select the Browser, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. Now try again. Be aware that this will erase any saved bookmarks you might have.
I have the same problem on my note 4 but when I go to the browser app in settings it does not highlight any of the boxes for me to force stop or clear the cache.
Is there another way to get rid of it? Thanks

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site

Do a full data factory reset (that will eliminate ALL traces of the virus) and stop downloading apps from unknown sources and visiting "sketchy" websites (that will prevent re-infection).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I have the same problem on my note 4 but when I go to the browser app in settings it does not highlight any of the boxes for me to force stop or clear the cache.
Is there another way to get rid of it? Thanks

It's odd that you can't Clear Cache or Data in the App Manager. That's where you're looking, right? Can you show us a screenshot? http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

Try opening the Browser, tap Menu>Settings, and look for an option to clear all of your browsing history, including cookies. It's probably in a Privacy section of the browser settings.

Moonspam2k

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I have tried Force Stop, then Clear Cache/Data, as well as the other way around: Clear Cache/Data, *then* Force Stop (people here have suggested either order). I'm only using Chrome, and although I have cleared my cache and data numerous times this way - and run Google's native virus scan for Android - I'm still getting really aggressive popups from **removed by moderator** when I try to browse. HELP!

Last edited by a moderator:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I have tried Force Stop, then Clear Cache/Data, as well as the other way around: Clear Cache/Data, *then* Force Stop (people here have suggested either order). I'm only using Chrome, and although I have cleared my cache and data numerous times this way - and run Google's native virus scan for Android - I'm still getting really aggressive popups from **removed by moderator** when I try to browse. HELP!
Perform a factory reset. That should clear things up for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty