Memory Card to Samsung Galaxy S5

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I have a memory card full of photos. I want to transfer them to my Samsung Galaxy s5. What device do I need? What will happen when it's plugged in? What prompts will I see? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop 5.0 Verizon.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Turn the phone off. Plug the card into the S5. Turn the phone on. You'll see the photos on the card when you look in a photo app like Gallery.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
You don't mention what size the card is. If it's a microSD (doubtful if it's from a camera), do what @rukbat says, just plug it into your phone. If it's any other size, you will need to use a card reader connected to a PC/laptop. Then connect your phone with the USB cable to the same computer and just copy them over to your phone.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Turn the phone off. Plug the card into the S5. Turn the phone on. You'll see the photos on the card when you look in a photo app like Gallery.

This memory card was in a Canon A70 camera. It won't plug directly into the Samsung Galaxy S5. I know that I'm going to need additional devices to accomplish that. Please take me step by step on how to do it. Can I just connect a card reader with the memory card inserted to a USB cable and then do the transfer? Thanks.

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Or if you have access to PC, plug your S5 to it via USB. Let the PC install the drivers if it's the first time doing so. When that's done you'll be able to open the S5 in a window, and transfer the contents of the SD card (via card reader connected to the PC as well) to the S5.

Note 4 910C 5.1.1 | Android Central App

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Or if you have access to PC, plug your S5 to it via USB. Let the PC install the drivers if it's the first time doing so. When that's done you'll be able to open the S5 in a window, and transfer the contents of the SD card (via card reader connected to the PC as well) to the S5.

Note 4 910C 5.1.1 | Android Central App

I Was trying to avoid using the windows 7 laptop. It's my wife's laptop and she gets Paranoid when get near her laptop. (I know, I'm a woos)
I do have a memory card reader with a male USB connector. I want to use my charge cable as part of the connection. My question is, what do I do after the connection is complete? What will the prompts tell me?
I realize that this is an unusual setup. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
If you want to connect your card reader directly to your phone, you will also need an OTG (on-the-go) cable to bridge between the USB plug on the card reader to the micro usb on your phone. Something like this

https://www.amazon.ca/StarTech-com-...hawk-future-ca-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5123042

There are no guarantees that it will work though because your phone would ultimately have to be able to identify the card reader as a valid device. In theory, it should just show up as external storage.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
If you want to connect your card reader directly to your phone, you will also need an OTG (on-the-go) cable to bridge between the USB plug on the card reader to the micro usb on your phone. Something like this

https://www.amazon.ca/StarTech-com-...hawk-future-ca-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5123184

There are no guarantees that it will work though because your phone would ultimately have to be able to identify the card reader as a valid device. In theory, it should just show up as external storage.

You have been so helpful. If it turns out that it shows as external storage,how do I get the photos, how do I move them to Google Photos. Thanks for hanging in there for me. I appreciate it.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Just open up your file explorer of choice and navigate over to it like you would your internal storage or external SD card (if you have one)

Adam Zeis

Adminstrator
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
You can also just copy them to your computer as stated above, and then upload to Google Photos through your browser from photos.google.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco24