Happy 9th Birthday to the Samsung S5!

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Launched on the 11th of April, 2014, the Samsung Galaxy S5 is now 9 years old today!

vI3jxv8l.jpg

It speaks well of the Galaxy S5 that it is still in use by some people to this day.

Sadly, with only 2GB of RAM, the old girl will struggle these days.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I skipped the S5 for the Note 5, and had no regrets, then! It was a birthday present for my 49th birthday. I've had the S8+ Note 9, Note 20, and S22U since that time, with a lousy J2 Core sandwiched in until I could get my own service, again. But if the S5 is still breathing, that's a testimony to stick-toitiveness!

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
In my little Cotswold village there are still 2 Galaxy S5's in use. One is a backup phone and the other is owned by a guy called, "Old Stan", and is his daily phone after all these years. In that time, I believe, Old Stan has had 3 batteries... you remember the good old days when you inserted the battery yourself.

Both phones now run Lineage custom ROM, courtesy of yours truly. Both have been stripped down to the bare minimum to keep them functioning at a reasonable level. Old Stan swears that it will have to be prised from his cold, dying, hands and has refused to upgrade as it does what he wants.

The only issue that Old Stan seems to incur is a signal problem at the local pub and it only affects one caller, Mrs Old Stan. Never been able to fix that for him. ;)

See, also... 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
In my little Cotswold village there are still 2 Galaxy S5's in use. One is a backup phone and the other is owned by a guy called, "Old Stan", and is his daily phone after all these years. In that time, I believe, Old Stan has had 3 batteries... you remember the good old days when you inserted the battery yourself.

Both phones now run Lineage custom ROM, courtesy of yours truly. Both have been stripped down to the bare minimum to keep them functioning at a reasonable level. Old Stan swears that it will have to be prised from his cold, dying, hands and has refused to upgrade as it does what he wants.

The only issue that Old Stan seems to incur is a signal problem at the local pub and it only affects one caller, Mrs Old Stan. Never been able to fix that for him. ;)

See, also... 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide
Haha awesome I'm loving this ! I think old Stan won't need my S23U as he might get through to the Mrs

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Mine was the S3 and it broke down after 3 months. Avoided Samsung till S10+ and same mic problems as the S3. So not going Samsung again. But I really really wanted those 2 phones.
Oh wow, no issues when I had it and thought the world of that phone when it came out.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
I had the S5 from 2015-2017. It was a spectacular phone. I never had any issues the whole time using it. I remember highly being able to take off the back cover and swap out the battery. Nothing like going from 0% to 100% in a matter of a moment! Sadly, obviously since then, Samsung did away with removable batteries.

I used to have a spare battery charger that I would use to take my almost drained battery out of my S5, throw it in there, and swap in a spare completely charged battery. I had an S3 before my S5 and I gotta say, I feel like the S5 was a huge upgrade because I had nothing but issues with my S3. Hated that phone.

S5 I think was the first device Samsung sold that wasn't an active device that was featured as, "water resistant."

Reactions: tismydroid

ManGooble

Sep 18, 2019
Visit site
Near the end of last year bought the best easily findable S5 model and that was the G900F from an Israeli seller on Ebay. Downgraded it to Kitkat and rooted it using Towelroot. Very fast.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Near the end of last year bought the best easily findable S5 model and that was the G900F from an Israeli seller on Ebay. Downgraded it to Kitkat and rooted it using Towelroot. Very fast.
Welcome to AC!
Nothing on that device would be pleasant to use in 2023 but you like it good for you .