Samsung S5 producing duplicate keypad presses in-call

A

AC Question

Hello,

I have a Samsung S5 with Android 6.0.1 on AT&T. I have had this issue with prior releases of android on this phone, but it has gotten really annoying.

What happens is this, I call into an automated system (conference call, large PBx, whatever) and while on the call pressing the numbers on the keypad produces duplicate entries on the receiving system's end. I don't hear duplicate tones on my side, but get "incorrect entry" from the receiving system. In many cases it will repeat back what I entered and I will, for example, get one or two duplicated numbers in a 6 digit conference call ID code.

I never get duplicates while dialing a number, just once the call is in progress.

Any thoughts? Any settings buried in the phone I can tweak?

Thanks,
-Brad

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! This isn't available on all phones, but open the Phone app, tap More>Settings>Call Settings, and look for a DTMF option. If you see it, what is it set to? The options are usually None, Short, and Long. If it's set to Long, try Short.

BAJ1

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunately No DTMF option under settings. I poked around in the options that were there (again), nothing obvious (to me). I did try a couple things in the past (before my original post) but nothing seemed to help.

I had a conference call this morning with a 10-digit ID - it took 6 tries to get it entered w/o a duplicate. And then my phone dropped the call, which it almost never does. After 3-4 more tries to get connected on the second call attempt, it again dropped the call maybe 1 minute after getting into the CC. I did this two more times before giving up and hunting down a land-line which of course worked perfectly the first try. I was ready to chuck my cell out the window, good thing they don't open.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it has to do with reception in your workplace. How many bars do you have? If you have wi-fi there, are you using wi-fi calling?

BAJ1

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
3 out of 5 "bars" on the signal strength. I don't have any problems with conversations making or receiving calls. I had another conference call today and it took 3 attempts to succeed at entering the ID number.

BAJ1

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunately that made it worse, if it changed anything. My first CC in Safe Mode it took the CC pin the first try, which had me optimistic. But since I called early I cancelled and tried to repeat it. It took 9 more tries over 2 more calls to get a good entry without duplicates. My 2nd CC today I quit after 6 failures and used a land line. So much for Safe Mode.

I was thinking I don't ever have a problem with misdialed phone numbers, but maybe since that's between the phone and the carrier it's sent via Data and not done via DTMF?

I'm at a loss. I don't have a smart phone, I have a pocket computer with a half-baked phone function.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's a strange issue. Do you ever experience unintentional double taps anywhere else, or only in this specific situation?

Do you have a screen protector on?

BAJ1

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
It's a strange issue. Do you ever experience unintentional double taps anywhere else, or only in this specific situation?

Do you have a screen protector on?

I do have a screen protector but do not get duplicate screen taps with other apps, or even when direct-dialing a phone number with the phone app. The duplicate numbers do not show on the phone app but are registered by the automated systems that I call into.

It's not a screen issue, or a GUI issue, it's a phone app, DTMF, or other phone hardware issue. Even when I create a contact with the conference call phone number and PIN (with pauses in between) in the contact phone number, I still get duplicates on the receiving system.