Which phone should I get

chongsen62

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
I live at Canada. I am interested in following 3 phones, which one should i get ?

Nexus 6p 32g $785 after tax:
Stock android is always my top choice. I am a little concern about build quantity of early nexus devices. Should I wait till Dec ?

Galaxy edge plus 32g $900 after tax.
I can get a good deal on this one. My friend works in Samsung. He is able to get me galaxy s6 edge plus + flip case + extended warranty + screen protector for $900 after tax. But TW is nightmare. And Canada only gets black edge plus ... my least favourite color.

Iphone 6s plus $1300 after tax.
I bring up this one, since I got $400 apple gift card as my birthday gift. It will bring the price down to $900. Iphone has the best resale value.

I think I can live with either IOS or Android system. IPhone 6s plus is my least favourite iphone though since 192g phone is too heavy for me. I usually update my phone once per year. ... Iphone will pay at least 60% of my next year phone...

Galaxy edge plus is more like a family choice. My wife is using galaxy edge now. My father has regular edge too and my Mother has note 4. We have quite a few Samsung wireless chargers aorund and Samsung TVs in both families. But TW is laggy like a hell. I can see noticable lag on my wife`s phone. I do not think it is going to be any better on edge plus.

Nexus 6p looks all good right now. I always trust Google till nexus 9. Nexus 9 never gets fixed. Will Google handle 810 better this time ? And my iphone 6 plus is stolen last month. I am using an iphone 4 right now. You know iphone 4 on IOS 7 is a disaster. I am not sure I can wait 2 more months....

puiradu

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi.

I asked myself the same thing. First option is out of discussion. Now between Edge plus and S6+ I don't thing you should have too much doubts. Edge is far away better. TW seems very responsive. I didn't encountered issues regarding it. Also jn my wife's Galaxy S6 it's working properly. All lags issues are related to third part applications that are not optimized so take your time and test them properly. I now own a galaxy edge 6 plus, coming from a Galaxy Note 4 and I can tell you that Edge Plus is for the moment the best in class smartphone.

Trimis de pe al meu SM-G928F folosind Tapatalk

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
You should make this a Poll Question. Just go in and edit it in the Advanced settings and I think you can add a Poll.

My vote would be for the Edge +. Keep in mind, I had the iPhone 6 Plus last year, which is almost identical to the 6S Plus this year. I can compare the two models here. I have not owned a Nexus, so I can't comment on it.

1. Lag: I loved the smoothness of the iPhone and how there was no lag, but there is no lag with the Edge + either.
  2. Signal: Both phones have a comparable signal and both perform well as a phone. I know, right?
  3. Call Volume: Sammy gets the "edge" here. I had problems hearing the caller on my iPhone. However, to be honest, I think it was more the placement of the ear speaker, then the actual speaker volume. Sometimes I'd move the ipHone around and be able to get a louder volume. The Edge + is great as far as caller volume. No issues.
  4. Screen: Both perform well, but I do love the aspect ratio of the iPhone screens over Android Screens. The iPhone has a more cinematic size and the Androids have a more Widescreen TV size, IMO.
  5. Camera: Once again, comes down to the size for me. Edge + has a wider field of view than the iPhone 6 Plus, so Sammy here. Both take outstanding photos.
  6. Response Time: Both phones open apps fast, and both run the apps smoothly as I said above. The Sammy's camera is super quick to open up and the iPhone's camera is noticeably slower to open. Both have quick shutters and can take multiple pictures at one time. Maybe a slight edge to the Sammy because the camera app opens faster than any phone I've ever seen. Double click the home button and the camera's open and ready.
  7. Battery Life: Nothing beats an iPhone for battery life. It's at least 2 to 1 as far as comparing the two and in some cases I could actually push that to 3 to 1 for my useage of the two phones. iPhone 6 Plus I charged every night during the week and never charged it during the weekend. NEVER! Edge + I charge 2 to 3 times per day and nightly if I'm not using the Hotspot on weekends.
  8. Charging: Edge + of course. Qi + fast charging, hands down. Why Apple hasn't come out with either or both of these is beyond me.
  9. Hotspot: The reason I purchased the Edge + and sold my iPhone 6 Plus. The ANdroid Hotspot works everywhere with every device, including Apple. The Apple hotspot only works well with other Apple devices. It isn't worth a dang for a non-iOS device. My phones are my Internet at home, so the hotspot must function well.

My 2 pennies. Take 'em for what they are worth.

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Get the Nexus 6P. Pure Android Experience + latest updates FTW.

Samsung sucks when it comes to updating their OS and it's very laggy due to TouchWiz

chongsen62

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
I don't agree with that statement for this phone. ^^^

I do agree with that statement for previous models, but not the Edge +

My mother's Note 4 was no lag last year.

My wife's S6 edge was no lag 4 months ago

I believe edge plus is no lag now. I am not sure a few months later

chongsen62

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Actually I have better battery experience on Samsung than Apple.

I think it depends on use habit.

Watching movie and playing game, my mother's note 4 lasts way longer than my iphone 6 plus. I lose 36% battery on iphone 6 plus for palying 45 mins 2048. I do not think it is acceptable.

Iphone won on listening music and standby time. I think Samsung has longer SOT since OLED.

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
I don't agree with that statement for this phone. ^^^

I do agree with that statement for previous models, but not the Edge +

you have a point there, it's not on the edge+ for the first week, then it's there but to a minimal due to the edge+'s super specs. But in general, if I were to buy a new phone right now, I'd love the vanilla Android with now Samsung bloat

V J

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Right now I'm using the Edge+ and my partner has the iPhone 6 plus. The 6S plus is not that much different, although heavier. Get the Edge+.

It is by far the best looking of the bunch, especially in Silver or Gold. This isn't even opinion it's just fact.

It's also a LOT lighter than the 6s plus. Like coming from the Note 4 (176g) to this (154g) it's very noticeable. There's a lot less wrist fatigue when using it one-handed, I can't imagine how bad the 6s plus would be at almost 200g.

Wireless charging and fast charging. Enough said. I don't even use fast-charging, I bought myself a couple of Tylt Vu wireless chargers. Look it up, unlike other wireless charging "pads", with this one it's a tilted phone stand, no hunting for the sweet spot. I just drop my Edge+ and it's charging, and with the tilted view I can see when my notifications pop up.

I know TouchWiz lag is all too well-known, but I personally have never experienced it. I've had the S3, Note 3, Note 4, and this guy but all I do is install Nova Launcher as soon as I get them and I go year to year without any UI lag. Not to mention that with the included Smart Manager out of the box, you can basically run the S6 edge+ like an iPhone. Choose and set which apps are allowed to run in the background and you can run a tight ship with your background processes just like iOS does.

Last but not least, better camera. Not to say that the 6s camera is bad, iPhones NEVER have bad cameras and for the longest time it was the king of easy-to-use yet great photos for phone cameras, but not anymore. The competition has caught up on shutter speed (the iPhone's main advantage) and are now just as fast when snapping photos but in some cases, produce superior results. This is exactly what the Edge+ has, a super speedy snapper with more dynamic range, better auto-HDR mode, more stable OIS in video recording, not to mention a lot more zoomability because of more megapixels.

The only areas the iPhone beats the Edge+ is standby battery, slow-motion video recording, OS updates and I guess the app store.

The Edge+ slimmer, lighter, and has an overall smaller footprint while having a bigger (not to mention higher resolution) screen. Android has more customizability, compatibility (wireless charging, Samsung pay) and versatility (Wi-fi hotspots, true NFC) than iOS. Unless you're heavily invested in Apple's ecosystem you will find it very hard to find good reasons to pick the 6s plus over the Edge+.

I'll leave you with a youtube video comparing the Edge+, 6s plus and G4 cameras. Notice how Samsung wins 3 out of 5 categories and yet (shamefully) the testers still declare there's no clear winner in the contest. But unless you're blind, the winner is obvious.

A much more unbiased and comprehensive comparison of the phones as a whole from Pocketnow here:

Good luck, in the end only you can decide which phone is right for you. Go with whatever feels right.

Last edited:

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Right now I'm using the Edge+ and my partner has the iPhone 6 plus. The 6S plus is not that much different, although heavier. Get the Edge+.

It is by far the best looking of the bunch, especially in Silver or Gold. This isn't even opinion it's just fact.

It's also a LOT lighter than the 6s plus. Like coming from the Note 4 (176g) to this (154g) it's very noticeable. There's a lot less wrist fatigue when using it one-handed, I can't imagine how bad the 6s plus would be at almost 200g.

Wireless charging and fast charging. Enough said. I don't even use fast-charging, I bought myself a couple of Tylt Vu wireless chargers. Look it up, unlike other wireless charging "pads", with this one it's a tilted phone stand, no hunting for the sweet spot. I just drop my Edge+ and it's charging, and with the tilted view I can see when my notifications pop up.

I know TouchWiz lag is all too well-known, but I personally have never experienced it. I've had the S3, Note 3, Note 4, and this guy but all I do is install Nova Launcher as soon as I get them and I go year to year without any UI lag. Not to mention that with the included Smart Manager out of the box, you can basically run the S6 edge+ like an iPhone. Choose and set which apps are allowed to run in the background and you can run a tight ship with your background processes just like iOS does.

Last but not least, better camera. Not to say that the 6s camera is bad, iPhones NEVER have bad cameras and for the longest time it was the king of easy-to-use yet great photos for phone cameras, but not anymore. The competition has caught up on shutter speed (the iPhone's main advantage) and are now just as fast when snapping photos but in some cases, produce superior results. This is exactly what the Edge+ has, a super speedy snapper with more dynamic range, better auto-HDR mode, more stable OIS in video recording, not to mention a lot more zoomability because of more megapixels.

The only areas the iPhone beats the Edge+ is standby battery, slow-motion video recording, OS updates and I guess the app store.

The Edge+ slimmer, lighter, and has an overall smaller footprint while having a bigger (not to mention higher resolution) screen. Android has more customizability, compatibility (wireless charging, Samsung pay) and versatility (Wi-fi hotspots, true NFC) than iOS. Unless you're heavily invested in Apple's ecosystem you will find it very hard to find good reasons to pick the 6s plus over the Edge+.

I'll leave you with a youtube video comparing the Edge+, 6s plus and G4 cameras. Notice how Samsung wins 3 out of 5 categories and yet (shamefully) the testers still declare there's no clear winner in the contest. But unless you're blind, the winner is obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_1Bgfl6qvk

A much more unbiased and comprehensive comparison of the phones as a whole from Pocketnow here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKmmdEtyqvk

Good luck, in the end only you can decide which phone is right for you. Go with whatever feels right.

best reviews I've seen! thanks a lot S6 edge+ FTW