S6 edge+ screen on time vs. Note 5

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I've typically been getting around 4.5-5.5 hours of screen on time with my S6 edge+, which seemed a bit low, however I couldn't find much online about what was normal for other users. I figured because the Note 5 has the same hardware and practically the same software, the battery life should be pretty comparable, right? Well apparently not.

I've found that users are getting around 6 to 7 hours of screen on time with the Note 5, a battery life I'd love to have.

So what is it? Is it a problem with my phone or does the Note 5 have an inexplicably better battery life?

Thanks.

Zachary Boddy

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
It could be anything. An application you're using, or really your general usage patterns, or whatever you have going on in the background. It could be the Edge software that only the Edge phones have.

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
It could be anything. An application you're using, or really your general usage patterns, or whatever you have going on in the background. It could be the Edge software that only the Edge phones have.

My useage consists mostly of browsing the Internet, and I've disabled all the bloatware on my phone as well.

It could be the edge software, however it seems odd that it would cause that much more battery drain.

Could I ask which you phone you have? If it's the edge+ or Note 5, how's your battery on that?

ahmedhanif911

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
I think as the note 5 has a bigger screen which means less ppi also not having the edge screen, both would effect battery life and improve it for the note 5

Posted via the Android Central App

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I think as the note 5 has a bigger screen which means less ppi also not having the edge screen, both would effect battery life and improve it for the note 5

Um.

It doesn't matter what the PPI is. The screens are the same resolution and the batteries are the same size- there shouldn't be a difference in bartery life.

ahmedhanif911

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Due to the note 5 being bigger the screen quality will be slightly reduced which will help with battery life but not sure what else it can be to be making a big difference.

Am I wrong but the not 3 would last ages over a day with quite heavy usage.

Zachary Boddy

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Due to the note 5 being bigger the screen quality will be slightly reduced which will help with battery life but not sure what else it can be to be making a big difference.

Am I wrong but the not 3 would last ages over a day with quite heavy usage.

That's not entirely accurate. The Note 5 and S6 Edge + should last the same amount of time under identical circumstances, and any differences would be either coincidental or so small as to be negligible. Any screen size differences is just perceived and not actually real, as they're actually the same size, the S6 Edge +'s screen is simply curved around the edges, making it appear smaller (this is how I know it, at least). The PPI should be the same.
At the same time, the Note 3 has a less efficient processor, and less efficient software. It shouldn't last longer, because it's enjoying none of the benefits on any current generation Samsung flagship device.

To the OP, it could be that you're actually seeing similar battery life to Note 5 and other S6 Edge+ owners, and that you're simply calculating screen-on time differently then they are in some way. You're also relying on other people to be entirely honest and objective about what kind of battery life they're getting. There could always be some potential for something on your particular device causing higher battery drain, and if that's the case I suggest uninstalling everything you possibly can and disabling the Edge screen software. Slowly start installing everything in batches, give it a few hours to settle, and then monitor battery life to observe any irregular battery drainages.

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I have a 6.30 to 7 hours on-screen usage with my s6 edge plus.
Brightness is 60% set to auto.

Posted via my SM-G928F

Huh. Damn.

Did you do anything special? I swear I've disabled all bloatware, auto sync, etc. etc.

I'm thinking of getting my battery replaced. Personally, 4.5 hours of SOT doesn't do the job for me.

john_ath

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I've checked my battery right now:
It is 41% with 6h37m on-screen time.

My 4g usage is only 5-10%, rest is wifi:
Internet, apps, games, youTube, few videos+photos

Posted via my SM-G928F

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site

Posted via my SM-G928F

Wow. Yeah. Somethings up with my phone then, because I can't barely get four and a half hours of a full battery.

I don't use WiFi much but I can't imagine it would make that much of a difference.

Lost 10% with 20 min of SOT. Bleh.

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site

Posted via my SM-G928F

41% battery right now with 2h15m of screen on time.

I've been texting and browsing the Internet all day. No games or YouTube. I have my phone on silent too.

Jay Gamblore

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I've typically been getting around 4.5-5.5 hours of screen on time with my S6 edge+, which seemed a bit low, however I couldn't find much online about what was normal for other users. I figured because the Note 5 has the same hardware and practically the same software, the battery life should be pretty comparable, right? Well apparently not.

I've found that users are getting around 6 to 7 hours of screen on time with the Note 5, a battery life I'd love to have.

So what is it? Is it a problem with my phone or does the Note 5 have an inexplicably better battery life?

Thanks.

I never got that much with my note, closer to 4 on average

Ken Allen3

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
I can easily get 6-7hours screen on time with my Edge plus. I wouldn't think the Note 5 is any better. It's mainly down to usage patterns, brightness etc

Posted via my SM-G928F

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Exoduss