turn off message preview

T M2

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys! Is there a way to turn off the message preview feature? I really like using the stock messaging app, but on Textra you can have it where a pop up comes up with only the senders name.
Is this an option for the stock app?

:cool:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, nope. And Lollipop's pop-up previews don't make it any easier, either. I'm afraid you're "stuck" with 3rd party options for this one.
UPDATE: SEE BELOW REPLY.

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Actually, mea culpa. Apparently there is an option in your Messaging app settings, in the notifications section, that allows you to enable/disable the Preview. The nagging pop up from the status bar, however, will not go away (thank you, Lollipoop!)

T M2

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Hmm...I don't mind a pop up window saying "user" sent you a mesaage...but don't want the message to pop up...but i couldnt find that setting you were talking about to able/disable the preview

Cajun_Fan

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Hmm...I don't mind a pop up window saying "user" sent you a mesaage...but don't want the message to pop up...but i couldnt find that setting you were talking about to able/disable the preview

There might be two options.

1st:

Well in settings / Sounds and notifications / App notifications / Messages

Pick Hide content on lock screen.

This makes it if you get a text message and your lockscreen saying Messages 1 new messages. Doesn't say who it's from or give any of the message.

But once you unlock and drag the notification window down, then you get the box with the number and message.

2nd:

Settings / Sounds and notifications / Notifications on lock screen set to hide content, then you get the same result as in the 1st. Get the box on lockscreen just saying messages you have 1 messages, and the notification pull down gives the number and the text message.

So the only thing I can see is either way the only way not to get the message is on the lock screen, notification pulldown will still display it.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The setting I'm referring to is in the Messaging app. Tap the menu button, select Settings, then Notifications. Unless your carrier disabled that option...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuzuboiii