Question Samsung Note 10 Whatszapp application not working properly once in a while when I record voice message with lock, screen turns off and stops recording

samsimon

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
hello, cannot fix the issue. Whatszapp application is not working properly once in a while when I record voice message with the lock, the screen turns off and stops recording. So I lock the voice messaging so i can talk for 5-10 minutes. But after 1, or 3, or 5 minutes, sometimes i even think it was 40 seconds, the screen turn off and stop recording.

Last edited:

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site

To enter recovery mode and clear the cache on your Samsung Note 10, follow these steps:

1. **Power off** your device completely.
2. **Press and hold** the Volume Up button and the Power button **simultaneously**.
3. Release the Power button when the Samsung logo appears, but keep holding the Volume Up button.
4. Release the Volume Up button when the Android recovery screen appears.
5. Use the Volume buttons to navigate to "Wipe cache partition" and press the Power button to select it.
6. Confirm by selecting "Yes." Wait for the process to complete.
7. Finally, select "Reboot system now" to restart your device.

Your device will reboot with the cache cleared.

Reactions: samsimon

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like the app is being put to sleep. When you don't fully wake the device, like when you just turn on the screen but the phone is still locked, when the screen turns off again apps that are being put to sleep will go back to sleep. I don't want to say they close because they aren't necessarily closing they're just going to sleep but it still means that they stop functioning. My guess is you have a Samsung device? They are kind of notorious for this. At some point you were probably told that the app was awake in the background and you agreed to put the app to sleep thinking nothing of it and probably like me thinking this was just a temporary or one time thing. Nope, they take it pretty seriously and put the app to sleep forever. Whether you have a Samsung or not you'll find the solution under battery in your settings. If you have a Samsung it will be Settings>Battery and device care (or just Device care depending on which UI version you're on)>Battery>Background usage limits>Sleeping apps or Deep sleeping apps. Check both of these lists and if you find WhatsApp listed on either remove it and your issue should be solved. You should also be able to prevent this in the future by adding the app to the other list there, Never sleeping apps or Never auto sleeping apps, again depending on which version of the UI you're using.

Let us know what you find.
Best wishes

samsimon

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
Update, after 2 weeks of trying it all, nothing helped:
microphone permission - is on
bluetooth off - now off
App cache clear - cleared
Allow within App "phone access" - yes
the phone main cache clear - DONE
force to stop the app - Off/On DONE
update android software - DONE

Settings>Battery and device care (or just Device care depending on which UI version you're on)>Battery>Background usage limits>Sleeping apps or Deep sleeping apps - I haven't tried "apps that won't be put to sleep"- DONE

@VidJunky @mwake4goten

Last edited:

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Looking back at your original post for ideas, you say, once in a while, can you think of anything that makes those times different either when it does or when it does not work? For instance, does it matter if you were recently using the app or if it was the last app you used before allowing the phone to lock? If WhatsApp isn't being put to sleep could it be that another is and somehow this is affecting the behavior of the device. So let's say you have a game that the phone is putting to sleep and you were just playing that game before the phone locked. Then you decide to send a WhatsApp message but instead of the phone shutting down just that game it goes to sleep putting WhatsApp to sleep with it. Did you find any apps in the sleeping lists? Maybe remove all of them I mean it seems pretty likely the device is going to sleep during this time. It doesn't seem to recognize that WhatsApp is being used and finding why, if not the app itself, then perhaps another app, seems to fit.

samsimon

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
Looking back at your original post for ideas, you say, once in a while, can you think of anything that makes those times different either when it does or when it does not work? For instance, does it matter if you were recently using the app or if it was the last app you used before allowing the phone to lock? If WhatszApp isn't being put to sleep could it be that another is and somehow this is affecting the behavior of the device. So let's say you have a game that the phone is putting to sleep and you were just playing that game before the phone locked. Then you decide to send a WhatszApp message but instead of the phone shutting down just that game it goes to sleep putting WhatszApp to sleep with it. Did you find any apps in the sleeping lists? Maybe remove all of them I mean it seems pretty likely the device is going to sleep during this time. It doesn't seem to recognize that WhatszApp is being used and finding why, if not the app itself, then perhaps another app, seems to fit.

not sure what different i'm doing that can cause it.... i don't use any other apps, as this phone mostly for communication - calls, text and WhatszApp voice messages. There are no apps in sleeping lists.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
It's just odd that the issue is intermittent. Does it matter how long the messages are? So if you're leaving a 2 minute message vs 30 seconds. Not sure why it would matter to whom the message is but does it happen more with one contact, provided that you're not always leaving long messages for that person vs everyone else. In that case it would go back to message length. Have you made any attempts recrate it? Talk to an understanding friend and say, hey I got this problem would you mind if I sent you a dozen messages while I try to figure this out. They may not all go through. Then try to recreate the conditions you describe where it doesn't take the message or it does and see from doing it if you can decern any difference when it does and when it doesn't. Just from sitting with it and making these attempts the answer may become apparent.

You might also go to people who are talking about WhatsApp and ask this there. We discuss Android in general but they discuss this app specifically and maybe you're not the first with this issue.

WhatsApp Help page

WhatsApp forum on cmm.net

WhatsApp on Reddit

Best wishes

samsimon

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
It's just odd that the issue is intermittent. Does it matter how long the messages are? So if you're leaving a 2 minute message vs 30 seconds. Not sure why it would matter to whom the message is but does it happen more with one contact, provided that you're not always leaving long messages for that person vs everyone else. In that case it would go back to message length. Have you made any attempts recrate it? Talk to an understanding friend and say, hey I got this problem would you mind if I sent you a dozen messages while I try to figure this out. They may not all go through. Then try to recreate the conditions you describe where it doesn't take the message or it does and see from doing it if you can decern any difference when it does and when it doesn't. Just from sitting with it and making these attempts the answer may become apparent.

Best wishes
could this some how cause the issue -> the only thing I think is different once in a while is: I hold my phone in my hand (vertically) and walk around talking, moving my head, sometimes looking at the phone, shaking my head, walk around the house talking....

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Hahaha, well I'm not sure how much shaking your head would have to do with it but walking around might. The Note surely has gyros so it would be able to know when the phone is moving, the same way it would know if it were turned over to send a call to VM. I could see where this change could have an effect. Do you ever do this with the phone face down? I could see that having an effect also.

I guess try it with the phone laying on its face, on its back and while in your hand and/or vertical. It should be a pretty quick test because if it always does it when laying on its face or on its back then it should always do it and vice versa, if it doesn't happen when in your hand or even just when in a vertical position you'll know that you have to either be moving the phone or have it sitting upright somewhere. It'll be interesting to know your results.

samsimon

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
Hahaha, well I'm not sure how much shaking your head would have to do with it but walking around might. The Note surely has gyros so it would be able to know when the phone is moving, the same way it would know if it were turned over to send a call to VM. I could see where this change could have an effect. Do you ever do this with the phone face down? I could see that having an effect also.

I guess try it with the phone laying on its face, on its back and while in your hand and/or vertical. It should be a pretty quick test because if it always does it when laying on its face or on its back then it should always do it and vice versa, if it doesn't happen when in your hand or even just when in a vertical position you'll know that you have to either be moving the phone or have it sitting upright somewhere. It'll be interesting to know your results.
1. I don't turn phone over on its face. 2. it happens occasionally, I don't think it happens when the phone on its back... usually when vertically in my hand... 3. could somehow incoming calls, incoming messages etc cause the issue?
thanks!

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I feel like you may be taking me too literally or perhaps I'm not taking this serious enough. hahaha.

In the meantime, an outside issue is most likely given that it works sometimes. If it were strictly the app it seems it would work or it wouldn't so something is for sure at the root of this issue. It might be possible that an incoming message could affect this or perhaps even some other type of notification but unless you're getting a lot of messages it seems odd that the timing would line up so frequently that you would notice it as a problem. I would guess that a one off event wouldn't trigger a response. Then again you know your life better than we do. Finding this thing doesn't seem straightforward. You've already said that you've closed everything in the background which doesn't leave much but it also doesn't offer much in the way of things to try. Really it's more than likely going to come down to you testing different things until you're able to reproduce the issue. Trying it with this app open or that app closed, on this network or on that wifi, with the S-pen in it's holster and with it in your hand... I'm just out of ideas but if I think of anything I'll come back and post.