Video playback on windows computer not correct orientation

Al Carter

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone,

My phone has no problems recording video and the auto rotate function seems to work fine as well. However, if I take a video in portrait mode on my phone, transfer it to my windows 7 computer and play it, it plays in landscape mode (sideways). I've tried VLC player and windows media player and they both play portrait taken videos in landscape. Is there something I'm missing or a fix for this?

Thanks in advance for any help

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That's typical. Videos are meant to be taken in landscape orientation, not portrait. I know that you can rotate the orientation if you upload the video to YouTube, but I'm not sure if there's any way to specify the actual movie file to play in portrait orientation.

Al Carter

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the response, B. DIddy. What seems strange is that being a previous Iphone user and before buying my Samsung galaxy s6 edge, I didn't experience this problem with video playback orientation on my computer video players. Videos taken in portrait mode on my old iphones displayed in portrait mode on my computer transferred videos. This problem I'm having with my Galaxy edge isn't a HUGE issue, but I would like to know why and if there is anything I can do to fix this prior to video production.

Thank you again!

Al Carter

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
AND for the record, I'm not an Iphone troll here trying to crap on Samsung phones. I love my S6 edge...very few problems or issues whatsoever and compared to others who post here.. It's just different from my old Iphones and I'm simply looking for answers on how to make things work for me.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Which video player are you using on the computer, and is it a Mac or PC? If it's a Mac, then it may be how Mac OS deals with .MOV files shot with iPhones. I've seen posts elsewhere about .MOV files shot in portrait being automatically changed to landscape mode in Windows Media Player and VLC Player on PCs.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry--I'm more interested in knowing if the videos you took with the iPhone that displayed in the intended portrait orientation were being viewed on Mac or PC, since you're comparing your current experience on the Samsung with your prior experience on the iPhone. Were you using VLC for that as well? From what I recall, .MOV movies shot on iPhone won't play on Windows Media Player.

Al Carter

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Yes, the videos were being viewed on my windows 7 PC; both from my old iPhones and now trying to view them from my Samsung S6 galaxy edge. Nothing has changed since, only the phone

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. I would guess it has to do with the file format (MOV vs MP4), but I can't be sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38