S6 Camera sucks compared to Note 4?

BullGuard8

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Look at the red carpet image in this link:

Intergalactic camera shootout: Galaxy S6 vs. Galaxy S5 vs. Note 4 vs. iPhone 6 - page 2 - GSMArena.com

Scroll down till you see the comparison of the red carpet on the balcony, the S6 doesn't show any of the lines of the carpet while the Note 4 shows them clearly.

What is this? I thought the cameras were the same. Now I am contemplating getting the Note 4 or the S6 Edge because I wnat a good camera but this lack of detail capturing is very bad.

Please advice

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Look at the red carpet image in this link:

Intergalactic camera shootout: Galaxy S6 vs. Galaxy S5 vs. Note 4 vs. iPhone 6 - page 2 - GSMArena.com

Scroll down till you see the comparison of the red carpet on the balcony, the S6 doesn't show any of the lines of the carpet while the Note 4 shows them clearly.

What is this? I thought the cameras were the same. Now I am contemplating getting the Note 4 or the S6 Edge because I wnat a good camera but this lack of detail capturing is very bad.

Please advice

Other than the carpet, I want you to look at all the daylight photos starting at the top and work your way down. You'll find that not only is there more detail in every shot but less noise. The balcony crops are a perfect example of far more detail with less artifacts (look how bad the jagged edges of the railing is with the note4 and lack of detail just under the railing) the iPhone shot is garbage compared to the S6.

The carpet is a freak issue. The iPhone has the same issue.

Otherwise the S6 hands down beats all and takes no prisoners.

Posted via Android Central App

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
You're going to get a different phone because of the way an extreme crop looks in one picture? Take a look at the original picture and notice how tiny an area that crop is.

BTW, the S6 and Edge have the same exact camera and software.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Other than the carpet, I want you to look at all the daylight photos starting at the top and work your way down. You'll find that not only is there more detail in every shot but less noise. The balcony crops are a perfect example of far more detail with less artifacts (look how bad the jagged edges of the railing is with the note4 and lack of detail just under the railing) the iPhone shot is garbage compared to the S6.

The carpet is a freak issue. The iPhone has the same issue.

Otherwise the S6 hands down beats all and takes no prisoners.

Don't know why I had so much trouble getting my hands on this link.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Here's a resized version of the original picture from the GSMArena article. The box in red is the cropped area:

gsmarena_002sm.jpg

And this is a normal picture, not a panorama shot. No one crops their pictures to that degree. So it's really bizarre to claim the S6 camera "sucks" because this tiny little square didn't display the detail well. Note that I didn't use the word "resolve", because it did resolve the squares. They're just very subtle:

crop-S6.jpg

The difference is that the S6 processing software dials back on the sharpening. What you see on the Note 4 and the GS5 are enhanced by sharpening, which may be fine and dandy if you're cropping out 300 X 300 pixel areas from a 16mp picture, but it also introduces a ton of noise and artifacting. Check out the difference between the two:

crop-compare.jpg

There's noise all over the Note 4 crop. When you look at it on your phone or even your monitor the noise will get lost when it scales down just like the perceived softness of the S6 will get lost when you scale to your display device. But that's not softness, it's that the Note 4 is much more aggressive with the sharpen filter.

Here's a more typical crop. It's 4mp, which is a quarter of the original size.

note4vss6.jpg

Which one is more pleasing to the eye? Can you guess which one is which? Can you resolve any sharpening artifacts or softness? That's why someone bugging out over the squares on a 300 X 300 cropped area of a 16mp image is totally missing the forest for the trees.

And the answer is:

The top is the S6 and the Note 4 is the bottom. In truth, I think the top one is much better looking and I can totally see the noise artifacts on the bottom one. But it's also quite possible that the differences in lighting on a semi-cloudy day are the source of the more pleasing image on top.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Thank you cobra for agreeing with me and giving perfect examples of what I was talking about.

In almost always on the road so on mobile it is hard to copy all the photos and give examples. You did a great job and I agree, the note4 has too much noise and is not as good as the S6. A well trained eye can notice every time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rabruslik