Camera zoom bug in Samsung S24 Ultra/Plus models - zoom jumps to widest angle

jsavage

Mar 18, 2024
Visit site
I found a bug on the camera zoom in the Samsung S24 Ultra and Plus models.

The bug is that when recording video and attempting to zoom via swiping on the zoom bar, the zoom level will sometimes jump to the widest angle. I can replicate it about half the time, and it's incredibly jarring.

Here are a couple videos I took of the bug (doesn't seem I can attach video files here):
This bug doesn't happen on my Samsung Galaxy Note S10+, and I also couldn't replicate the bug on older models.

I was going to buy a Samsung S24 Ultra, but this is a dealbreaker for me because I film a lot. I don't want a phone where when I'm filming, I never know when the zoom is going to screw up and ruin the video. I hope Samsung will fix this soon in a software update. In the meantime, I never thought I'd say this, but I may actually end up buying an iPhone since I do need to buy a phone ASAP since my current one is fairly broken.

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
My S24U doesn't do what's shown in the videos above. Perhaps the display models in Best Buy, or wherever the above videos were taken, haven't been updated with the latest updates like my phone has been.

jsavage

Mar 18, 2024
Visit site
My S24U doesn't do what's shown in the videos above. Perhaps the display models in Best Buy, or wherever the above videos were taken, haven't been updated with the latest updates like my phone has been.
I also was able to replicate this issue on the personal phones (S24 Ultra) of two employees. Did you follow the exact steps in the video? It doesn't happen every time for me, but maybe around half the time.

Steps:
1. Open camera in video mode
2. Start recording video
3. Try to zoom in via single finger swiping on the zoom bar. Sometimes the zoom bar will jump to the widest angle (0.6x)

If not replicating it, maybe try reseting the zoom level to one of the predefined values (1x, 3x, 5x, etc) via clicking on the button for the zoom level on the zoom bar, then trying again.

I posted this on Reddit as well and some people there were able to replicate it, though not as frequently as it happens to me it seems.

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
This happens with the regular camera too if you try and zoom. It seems the camera alignment is off in firmware or physically.

I mentioned this a while back. Zooming directly from 1x to 5x is fine but 1 to 3 and 3 to 5 causes a shift. It's impossible jarring when you try and focus on a specific subject.

Post in thread 'S24 Ultra; So yea or nay?' https://forums.androidcentral.com/threads/s24-ultra-so-yea-or-nay.1065216/post-7197156

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000