Isn't Samsung committing highway robbery by charging $100 for 32gb of memory? (or $200 for 96gb)

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Isn't Samsung committing highway robbery by charging $100 for 32gb of memory? (or $200 for 96gb)
Yes, I know Apple already does it, bu does Samsung have to copy it? :)

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't agree with it, but seems they are getting away with this easily. Not a single reviewer mentioned anything about this.

It does make sense, as s6 is a legit competitor with IP6, it doesn't have to be charging less for storage bump.

Its greed, sure. but what can we do.....

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
They're charging what market research shows will bring them the highest profit. If no one bought the 64GB version, they'd drop the price, but it's probably going to be sold out before it's for sale. Don't blame Samsung for having foolish customers - Apple's been taking advantage of that situation since the iPhone came out.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
The margins on the 32gb version are also probably pretty slim. They have to make money and charging more for people who want more storage is an easy way and one that will cause minimal complaints.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I was quite disappointed about the cost. I thought it would be fairer to make the 64gb $70 more, considering Apple is charging $100 for 48gb more whereas Samsung is charging $100 for only 32gb more. Part of this is the carrier -- for instance, the way Sprint's pricing goes for their installment program, it's actually $120 for memory upgrades and the Edge model. That's terrible.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I was quite disappointed about the cost. I thought it would be fairer to make the 64gb $70 more, considering Apple is charging $100 for 48gb more whereas Samsung is charging $100 for only 32gb more. Part of this is the carrier -- for instance, the way Sprint's pricing goes for their installment program, it's actually $120 for memory upgrades and the Edge model. That's terrible.
The s6,at least on my carrier, starts $50 cheaper full retail than the iPhone 6, and the base s6 has twice the internal memory of the base iPhone 6.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

it's not highway robbery when people willingly pay for it ... and does Samsung have to copy Apple? Samsung has an obligation to their shareholders to increase revenue. If following Apple's storage model achieves that, of course without alienating future consumers, than yes, Samsung does have to copy it. Samsung is in business to make money, just like everyone else.

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
it's not highway robbery when people willingly pay for it ... and does Samsung have to copy Apple? Samsung has an obligation to their shareholders to increase revenue. If following Apple's storage model achieves that, of course without alienating future consumers, than yes, Samsung does have to copy it. Samsung is in business to make money, just like everyone else.

true.... consumers vote with their credit cards. a ton of people b*tch about the S6's lack of SD card and removable battery. Let's how Samsung does with the S6.

MechEngrStdnt

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
It's very common for companies to subsidize their every level products with premiums on higher end devices. Almost every Industry does this, most notably the automotive industry. It's not about making the 128gb version more expensive, it's about making the 32gb version less expensive.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

So Samsung is commiting highway robbery when Apple has been doing this for years and years and no one really complained and if they did they still bought the phone. Its not the low end memory others use, its more efficient and faster. Have you played with the phone, its fast as hell.

Nice N Sticky

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately that is the way the world works. If it was a problem or this type of business model didn't work then we wouldn't be seeing it. But consumers have shown that they are more than willing to pay those kind of prices over and over again. I don't blame Samsung for trying to maximize profits, especially when there seems to be no backlash from the customers.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
true.... consumers vote with their credit cards. a ton of people b*tch about the S6's lack of SD card and removable battery. Let's how Samsung does with the S6.

they're gonna sell em by the tens of millions. as important as SD cards and removable batteries are to you and I, 95% of the 80 million devices samsung will sell this year, the people wouldn't know what to do with an SD card if it landed on their lap.

if you're (not you specifically) are a 20 year old guy, it might seem like everyone uses em cause a lot of your friends probably do. but that's not close to the majority of consumers, who stroll into the carrier's store and look for a cool looking, new device with a good camera. quick charge, samsung pay, wireless charging and fingerprint sensor are also good selling points, but SD cards and removable batteries don't appeal to the masses.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
they're gonna sell em by the tens of millions. as important as SD cards and removable batteries are to you and I, 95% of the 80 million devices samsung will sell this year, the people wouldn't know what to do with an SD card if it landed on their lap.

if you're (not you specifically) are a 20 year old guy, it might seem like everyone uses em cause a lot of your friends probably do. but that's not close to the majority of consumers, who stroll into the carrier's store and look for a cool looking, new device with a good camera. quick charge, samsung pay, wireless charging and fingerprint sensor are also good selling points, but SD cards and removable batteries don't appeal to the masses.

The reason I got myself a Note4 last week instead of a S6 was because of the lack of expandable storage and removable battery. I like my 32gb of base memory and 128gb SD card in it.

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Funny how everyone mocks apple for their memory prices but when Samsung does it, it's ok now!

I think the more Samsung follows the business model of Apple the more they will lose their identity. Choice is a good thing.

Nice N Sticky

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
The reason I got myself a Note4 last week instead of a S6 was because of the lack of expandable storage and removable battery. I like my 32gb of base memory and 128gb SD card in it.

Yes but you are also a member on an Android Forum which speaks volumes about you as a consumer. You amongst everyone else on this forum are the minority. Do you honestly think most people really care enough about something like SD slot, removable battery or even what kind of processor or how much RAM a phone has.
If everyone cared about specs like that then Apple would be out of business.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
g1303bk