S6 has no HDMI, MHL or other video output

jcthorne#AC

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Confirmed in chat with Samsung CS and via trial. The S6 does not support HDMI output via MHL standard on its USB port or any other direct video output. Really a step backward for a flagship device. Major missing feature they should have been far more forthcoming about before selling them.

So, no more apps mode integration on my Kenwood car stereo, no more playing vids on the hotel room tv etc. With such great video performance on the device, this is very disappointing.

jcthorne#AC

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't want to carry yet one more device when I travel and that will not work for apps integration in the car as there is no 2 way data connectivity.

Mr_Bugman

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I do wish they hadn't removed this feature.... but I'd much rather carry the little Chromecast dongle that an adapter and an HDMI cable(s) etc.

MAXXTX

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Samsung Note Edge
Samsung Galaxy S4
Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play edition
Samsung Galaxy S5
Samsung Galaxy S5 Active
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
Samsung Galaxy Note 10

Right now these are the only compatable devices for cast screen on chromecast but you can still cast screen which I did on my tab 3 but was slightly jumpy

Full list here https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6059461?hl=en

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
That's funny, I've casted my S6 using the Chromecast app many times this past week.

Posted using my Galaxy S6 via the Android Central App

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The chromecast works. I was just answering you question about screen cast

Galaxy S6

No, the Chromecast doesn't "work." Not as an HDMI/MHL replacement, which is the complaint here. You'd need a separate Miracast dongle instead. Assuming THAT works, and doesn't require some proprietary Samsung receiver.

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
No, the Chromecast doesn't "work." Not as an HDMI/MHL replacement, which is the complaint here. You'd need a separate Miracast dongle instead. Assuming THAT works, and doesn't require some proprietary Samsung receiver.
Guess it 'works' for me. Either by using the chromecast button in apps like YouTube or Netflix, etc or going into the chromecast app and pressing cast screen. Couldn't be easier imo

Galaxy S6

DrWu

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Lack of MHL is disapointing. Does your Kenwood head unit support MirrorLink? Supposedly the s6 is compatible with MirrorLink which my Sony head unit has in addition to the MHL. MirrorLink uses USB to communicate by the way, not HDMI like MHL so it actually allows you to control your phone from the head unit which you can't usually do with MHL.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Guess it 'works' for me. Either by using the chromecast button in apps like YouTube or Netflix, etc or going into the chromecast app and pressing cast screen. Couldn't be easier imo

Galaxy S6

The problem with Chromecast is that it requires a wi-fi network that you can connect to--this can be a problem if you're in some place like a hotel, where you don't necessarily want to shell out $15/day for their wi-fi. The nice thing about MHL support is that you could just connect the phone directly to a TV, without needing a wi-fi network.

I'm not sure if Samsung's Allshare Cast Hub requires a wi-fi network, or if you can connect the phone directly with the hub via wi-fi.

jcthorne#AC

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Lack of MHL is disapointing. Does your Kenwood head unit support MirrorLink? Supposedly the s6 is compatible with MirrorLink which my Sony head unit has in addition to the MHL. MirrorLink uses USB to communicate by the way, not HDMI like MHL so it actually allows you to control your phone from the head unit which you can't usually do with MHL.

No, the Kenwood uses MHL plus bluetooth to achieve a full two way integration. Placing android on the screen with full touch screen capability Chromecast is of no use and neither is miracast for this.