Any Way To Get Rid Of Dark Filter On Lock Screen Wallpapers?

Pwnstar7

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Apparently this problem is more noticeable when you use a pure black image as your lockscreen wallpaper... I've always used black as my wallpaper and lockscreen especially for a phone that uses amoled, as it takes full advantage of the deep blacks as a sort of power saver. However, I've also encountered the grayish filter in the lockscreen but only when I use Fingerprints as my security. The above remedy (change lockscreen security to swipe) works, however, when changing back to Fingerprints the problem still persisted. I guess this can only be solved with a software update and hopefully it will be fixed

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Apparently this problem is more noticeable when you use a pure black image as your lockscreen wallpaper... I've always used black as my wallpaper and lockscreen especially for a phone that uses amoled, as it takes full advantage of the deep blacks as a sort of power saver. However, I've also encountered the grayish filter in the lockscreen but only when I use Fingerprints as my security. The above remedy (change lockscreen security to swipe) works, however, when changing back to Fingerprints the problem still persisted. I guess this can only be solved with a software update and hopefully it will be fixed
The solution is not just to enable swipe as the unlock method. It's to enable "water droplets" as the effect and then go back to fingerprint or PIN or whatever else still leaving this 'effect' in place. Once you do this, the dark overlay is gone.

Pwnstar7

May 4, 2015
Visit site
I've tried changing into all the effects then going back to fingerprints but it still had a grayish filter to the lockscreen wallpaper. The image i chose for my lockscreen wallpaper is black and whenever water droplets and bubbles were set as an effect to swipe it showed that pure black effect at the lockscreen wherein the amoled are not lit up which was what i really prefer. However, changing back to fingerprints keeps on lighting up the amoled (dark grayish tint) even if my set image was purely black

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
The "fix" with the water droplets effect in swipe didn't work for me. It works while my lock screen mode is set to swipe, but regardless of which effect I set, once I go back to fingerprint mode the gray filter still shows in the lock screen wallpaper :/

I'm glad it worked for some of the people here, but it doesn't seem to be the true fix. I could use just swipe but where's the security in that?

If anyone has an idea or maybe another method on how to fix this, that'd be great!
...and no, changing the adaptive display mode doesn't help at all.

azzsze

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
I agree with this user, it doesn't seem to be fix for everbody. I've followed the instructions exactly and i stll get that light colored tint on my black wallpaper whenever i set my lockscreen unlocking back to finger print.

bcannariato

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
To the people that this fix doesn't work for (that included me), I think it might have something to do with either the format, or the resolution of the image involved. I tried multiple images, and for some reason some worked and some didn't.

My solution? Open the wallpaper, screenshot it, try making that your background. It fixed it for me for all the ones that didn't work. It may lower the resolution or quality, but I couldn't notice any difference at all. And it fixed the problem!

Grof Flek

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi everybody!

It seems to me that the gray overlay is shown over the lockscreen wallpaper depending on the theme you currently have enabled. I'm using a theme called "Cherry" and fingerprint lockscreen, and the image is only slightly darkened, but the gray overlay isn't shown any longer.

Hope it helps somebody at least!

Babar Gopang

Aug 14, 2017
Visit site
I have updated my note 5 to nougat version and now i cant find unlock effect option in my settings menu and that grey filter is there on my lockscreen and homescreen.
Something wanna suggest, looking forward for a solution

aaron ray

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
I have updated my note 5 to nougat version and now i cant find unlock effect option in my settings menu and that grey filter is there on my lockscreen and homescreen.
Something wanna suggest, looking forward for a solution

The "overlay" either darkening or lightening your background is due to your theme applied. I've had this problem on 7.1.1 and on 8.0.

Currently using an xperia xz premium on 8.0 and noticed it was washing out my mostly black background. Read through here, went into the lock screen settings, and like you found I have no unlock effect option.

I went to check under the Appearance section of settings and decided to see if switching theme would do anything. Was using a "platinum" theme and switched to "black" theme. Locked phone, powered it on, and now instead lightened overlay, I had a darkened overlay. How to get rid of the overlay altogether though, I have no idea outside of using third party themeing software like Substratum or something which will let you customize all aspects of a theme.

desolation999

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
My work around is make a copy of the wallpaper and brighten it. Then use the brighten wallpaper as lock screen wallpaper. This work around isnt perfect tho because the colour of the image appear a little wash out but it is better than a super dim wallpaper.

Fettos

Jun 1, 2018
Visit site
I have this problem too on my Pixel 2 XL. And it's 100% a thing built into stock android. There's no way to get rid of it, but it annoys the heck out of me too.

Daniell Perez

Jul 21, 2018
Visit site
Ok, try this, go to Settings/Lock screen and security and change screen lock type to Swipe.

No look for the Unlock effect. If it is set to none, change it to one of the choices you get, water droplet.

Now hit power button to lock screen, then try to unlock it and see if the picture comes up normal.

If it comes up normal, then change Screen lock type back to what you used before and when ever you wake up the phone, the picture should look bright and normal.

Thats what I had to do on the S6 I had, and I do the same thing on the S6 edge I exchanged the S6 for.

Great this worked...now if I por the finger print back on will it go dark again??

J6 Owner

Aug 24, 2018
Visit site
Hi Everyone.
Got a new Samsung J6 UK version recently released. Problem i have is this.
Home screen in first image light and as the photo was taken. Then when i select all apps the 2nd image the wallpaper goes dark does anyone know why and if a fix is available. I have tried what's been posted here but to no avail.
I want the wallpaper the same brightness when i select all apps. Screenshot_20180824-144555_Samsung Experience Home.jpgScreenshot_20180824-144609_Samsung Experience Home.jpg

Epicgamer69420

Jan 12, 2022
Visit site
I believe I found a fix.
Go into settings and search wallpaper, click on that once it pops up. You should see an option that says "Apply Dark Mode to Wallpaper", turn that off. That's what was making my wallpaper dark.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220112-075122_Wallpapers.jpg
    Screenshot_20220112-075122_Wallpapers.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo