Well now that Textra is charging I'm going back stock/Hangouts

morphish

May 4, 2015
Visit site
How do you expect these guys to make money. I am always willing to pay for something that works well. Textra is a phenomenal messaging app and would be worth paying for.

Posted via the Android Central App

I'm not trying to be insensitive here. But look at it this way - if someone offers something in the market for a set price (whatever that is), I figure it's up to them to figure out how to manage their lives. Maybe they sell it too low and take a loss. Maybe it costs them only half of what they charge and make awesome profit. I don't know and shouldn't really care. The Google Play Marketplace isn't a charity. People offer things and hope customers get in on it. They charge what they want for THEIR reasons. I buy or not buy for MY reasons.

For Textra - here are some options about it being free. Again, I don't know if any of them are true. But people talk about free like it _shouldn't_ happen. Each of these are maybes.

1. It was meant as a way to get people used to 3rd party SMS apps in hopes that they would upgrade to ChompSMS for all the theme support and fancy features.

2. It was meant as a corporate experiment, to have something testing super hard by hundreds of thousands of users because they were going to sell a version that did encrypted messaging for the government or high-security companies.

3. It was going to be Free, Open Source Software (FOSS) for other people to bugfix and extend.

4. It was a hobby and they didn't want to mess with all the customer service nonsense they'd have to do if people paid for it and expected it to work all the time flawlessly.

5. It was a calling card. You could farm out your mobile interface skills as a consultant or contractor and make big bucks. This was the most awesomest business card of all time.

6. It was a way to test out new features for ChompSMS without interfering with the paid ecosystem of their other software. People don't like paid software to break, right? This way only the things that worked out would be included. Textra would be constantly changing but since it was free, nobody would be demanding refunds or complaining.

And there might be others. How the dev manages his life, what the project was meant to accomplish, when he updates it, charges for it, etc... That's all up to him. But don't think to yourself - he HAD to start charging for it eventually. Maybe, maybe not. But if he decided to charge for it, he might have found a way to attract his customers with honey (an awesome way to handle group MMS? better theme support? in-depth SMS scheduling?) than with vinegar (add things to make the customer angry and then charge the customer to remove the irritation).

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
They're paid less than half of minimum wage because the business model is that customers pay the staff directly for the difference. The real crummy part for them - even if they don't make enough in tips to meet minimum wage, they still have to pay taxes and whatnot as if they were making minimum wage. I'm assuming that you make substantially more than the federal minimum wage.

I'm sure that you weren't trying to jump into name-calling, but let's please try to stay as far away from that line as possible.

All:

This seems to be a disagreement on the value proposition inclusive of the presentation of value and presumed agreements. It is fine for us all to disagree and we can do so while being civil and respectful to each other..

fair enough, and I apologize for the low life comment. if u check my post history (not that I expect anyone to!) you'll see I'm usually pretty respectful of other's opinions.

I do become incensed when people talk about not supporting devs on products they use, and question having to tip waiters (BTW your food would be 20% higher on the menu if restaurants had to pay their servers minimum wage). it's a personal pet peeve, so I'll just agree to disagree.

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Really good read is this...I paid for Chomp a couple of years ago...it was around £1 or so(75 cents?) It`s been worth every penny,it`s the sms app I prefer and I`ve been able to use it on every Android phone I`ve had with no extra charge.I also use Whatsapp which was free for the 1st year and then only £0.69p (50 cents?) per year...brilliant value.Like someone mentioned earlier,if you can afford a $650 smartphone surely you wouldn`t mind contributing a few cents to a developer to produce and update a worthwhile app?

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I and my parents went back to Textra and each paid the $1. Messenger is terrible as text messages were not going though.

bcbbanga4l

Q&A Team
Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I love textra.. I will be paying it seems like he's adding features once a week.. The feedback option alone is awesome and looks like it was a lot of work..

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
It also pains me to tip waiters and waitresses because they already get paid by their job. Sounds bad, but that's how I think. I mean, I can't recall the last time someone came to my office to give me a tip for doing a good job.

Oh My God! Seriously... This is just ridiculous! Servers make a few bucks an hour, they RELY on TIPS to actually TRY to make a living! I don't know what you do for a living, but I guarantee you wouldn't like it if your boss told you, you were going to work for FREE! Geesh!

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Got the Textra message switched back to Hangout that lasted 5 minutes with one aborted text message then back to Google Messenger. After 2 days on Messenger I was happy to switch back to Textra and pay $0.99.

Cajun_Fan

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Well I installed both Textra and chompSMS and I like both of them. I'm trying to find out how to pay for them, I'm not finding a version on the Playstore that says paid version, nor do I find any option inside Textra or chompSMS that will let me pay. Is this something that only happens when the message appears about paying for it? Or is there a way to do it now?

superjoe95

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Anyone try 8SMS? Seems similar to Textra. What I like is that it gives you the option to reply, mark as read, or call from the notification menu.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Oh My God! Seriously... This is just ridiculous! Servers make a few bucks an hour, they RELY on TIPS to actually TRY to make a living! I don't know what you do for a living, but I guarantee you wouldn't like it if your boss told you, you were going to work for FREE! Geesh!

everybody should wait tables once in their life, the world would be a better place! menu items would be 20% higher if wait staffs were paid minimum wage. if u want to eat out and get served, it's a given you tip 18-20% unless the service is really bad (which should be judged by the waiter not cause the kitchen is slow). some people are unbelievable.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Got the Textra message switched back to Hangout that lasted 5 minutes with one aborted text message then back to Google Messenger. After 2 days on Messenger I was happy to switch back to Textra and pay $0.99.

Yeah I feel like Textra kinda has us held hostage at the moment. All the other text apps look and feel like crap and I miss mms's a lot with hangouts and messenger. Also the stock text app lags big time for no apparent reason.

I tried Evolve and the idea is great, but it's to buggy still. Feels beta to me.

So I bit the bullet and paid the dollar, but it was earned doing a survey so I didn't actually have to come out of pocket for it. All in all I'm happy again...for now.

I really wish Google would get their act together and update/upgrade Hangouts to be as good as it should be (for free).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I feel like Textra kinda has us held hostage at the moment. All the other text apps look and feel like crap and I miss mms's a lot with hangouts and messenger. Also the stock text app lags big time for no apparent reason.

You may feel that way but .. they didn't. You had the option of free + ads or .. pay... or simply use whatever you want. You chose to use Textra .. If you count it as the best .. it just means it is a good app ;).

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Did you guys get the billing notice after you updated? I still havent gotten any billing notice and I updated to the latest version a while ago

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Did you guys get the billing notice after you updated? I still havent gotten any billing notice and I updated to the latest version a while ago

Check in the settings under the About? I'm not sure but once you're a "Pro User" it's a badge there that says you bought it so maybe it'll let you purchase there before hand. I'm just guessing since I received an alert a while ago. Maybe they pulled the alert for the time being.

Screenshot_2015-05-08-08-18-16.jpg

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
What if you delete the app and have to reinstall it or you get a new device? Will you still show up as a pro user?

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
What if you delete the app and have to reinstall it or you get a new device? Will you still show up as a pro user?

It should be linked to your Google Play store account since it's purchased through the Play store IAP system. I'd delete it to see but I've already set up a few Per Contact customizations I'm not ready to re-do just yet.

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Textra was free for three years. The entire time the developers where improving it and getting user feed back. I gladly paid 99cents for it when the update happened. If you enjoy Textra just pay for it and support them, Or keep using it with ads. I feel their hardwork deserves what they are asking.