Failed SMS

TimmE

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I've been having an issue with my stock SMS app. I frequently have failed SMS messages. They usually go through right away when I resend them. I have noticed that it happens when I'm on Wi-Fi. I'm not sure why that matters.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rodolfo Taz

May 1, 2015
Visit site
I think the reason why is because your carrier has set this limitation on the phone.

Since your plan already includes a SMS amount to be sent(which is submitted by your data plan associated with the phone) it doesnt make the connection with the servers once you are connected to wifi, In order to send a SMS your device needs the data connection(carrier connection) to submit a Message, To try to get rid of it you may try to Download Google messenger to see what is the result, You may also try set Hangouts as your default messaging app, I hope this help...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you're sending an SMS that's longer than 160 characters, and you have the app set to not break up long messages, it sends them via MMS - which can fail on wifi. (Also, if you're attaching anything, or if you're sending an SMS to more than one person, and have it set to send group messages by MMS, the same thing can happen.)

(SMS is sent by the same path as voice, so whether you have a data connection or not doesn't matter for single-recipient messages of 160 characters or less. And, since most people now have unlimited texting, that wouldn't apply either.)

If you're getting the problem with an SMS sent to one recipient and it's shorter than 161 characters, talk to your carrier.

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Every now & then it happens to everyone. Just restart your phone & you'll be back in business.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Is this while using Sprint's wifi calling? You may have to disable it .. it may be bugging out.

TimmE

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Is this while using Sprint's wifi calling? You may have to disable it .. it may be bugging out.

I thought about that too. I don't normally use Wi-Fi calling. I tended it on today and I got a fail with it on. Usually it is off. To be clear I'm having fails with both SMS and MMS.
I wonder if when the phone is on Wi-Fi it breaks mobile data contact and just takes a little to long to reconnect for the SMS to go through?

GeorgeChief

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I had this problem on ATT...went to the store and they swapped out my SIM card. That seems to have fixed it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I thought about that too. I don't normally use Wi-Fi calling. I tended it on today and I got a fail with it on. Usually it is off. To be clear I'm having fails with both SMS and MMS.
I wonder if when the phone is on Wi-Fi it breaks mobile data contact and just takes a little to long to reconnect for the SMS to go through?

Technically the mobile data only kicks in for MMS -- but -- with WiFi calling it behaves differently than most other carriers. I have T-Mobile and if Sprint's WiFi calling is like T-Mobile's wifi calling you can send MMS via WiFi. It does sometimes bug though. If you can be okay without the wifi calling protocol on I would try shutting off for a few days and see how your device behaves.

elfinawe

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I have the same problem and spent hours looking for & trying fixes. Its not a network problem Can send vis FB Messenger. Have cleared tried airplane mode on/off, cache, disables/enables app, removed battery. Has happened before intermittently. Any other ideas? Thanks!