What the heck is "Weather Daemon?"

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Battery life wasn't great today and the only thing I can see that's out of the ordinary is this "Weather Daemon" under location settings. And it said "high battery usage." So I disabled it.

Does anyone know what this thing is and what it's supposed to do?

player22

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Re: What the heck is "Weather Daemon?"

I disabled mine too. All I can see that it does is take away the weather thing next to the time on the home screen. Mine just shows the time now without the weather notification next to it. If you take the clock widget of your home screen then it won't matter anyway.
I think it just constantly updates the weather widget .
I disabled mine the 2nd day I got my phone along with a bunch of other stuff and it's been working just fine for almost a month now.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site

I disabled mine too. All I can see that it does is take away the weather thing next to the time on the home screen. Mine just shows the time now without the weather notification next to it. If you take the clock widget of your home screen then it won't matter anyway.
I think it just constantly updates the weather widget .
I disabled mine the 2nd day I got my phone along with a bunch of other stuff and it's been working just fine for almost a month now.

That's no problem for me as I use Nova with the Sense Analog clock/weather widget.

Attachments

• 1430617260199.jpg
    1430617260199.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 130

player22

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site

That's no problem for me as I use Nova with the Sense Analog clock/weather widget.
Then disable it and that's just that much more Battery you will save. I use the weather channel so it didn't affect me at all. If I find something using lots of battery I disable it and find something else that does the same thing but don't eat into my battery.

I like your home screen. Pretty cool

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site

erasat noticed that his stock weather widget was taking up a fair amount of battery drain so he deleted it and said it helped a lot and shared that. I did the same and it made a noticeable improvement for me too. I tried out some third party weather widgets and they drain too so there's something up with all of them.

That said, it really bites that you can't even have a weather widget running on your Android without battery drain...that was one of my favorite features of the phone a few years back! How is it that they can't figure out a way to update them without sucking up gobs of power? Must be a Lollipop thing because I don't recall this problem at all a few Android versions ago.

player22

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Yes I to only use a app to call upon the weather when I want to check it. I tried several weather apps and if I left the running in the background to update weather info they all used up lots of battery. Pretty sad it has to be this way. So I've learned just to live without a weather widget and just check the weather manually when I'm interested to see the weather

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

erasat noticed that his stock weather widget was taking up a fair amount of battery drain so he deleted it and said it helped a lot and shared that. I did the same and it made a noticeable improvement for me too. I tried out some third party weather widgets and they drain too so there's something up with all of them.

That said, it really bites that you can't even have a weather widget running on your Android without battery drain...that was one of my favorite features of the phone a few years back! How is it that they can't figure out a way to update them without sucking up gobs of power? Must be a Lollipop thing because I don't recall this problem at all a few Android versions ago.

I'm using Weather & Click widget and it's great as usual, I've been using it for about 2 years now and it's great.

The key in most, if not all Weather widgets is to set it with specific Cities, and prevent using the Detect my location and GPS options, if you set your specific city it practically doesn't use any battery as it will be updating just at your specific Update Intervals.

So my advice is that if you want to keep using the stock weather widget, just go to settings and disable all GPS and Detect Location settings and set your city or cities manually, besides the obvious battery savings there you may also begin to use your Location with the Quick toggles and turn it on only when you really need it.

Last edited:

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Yeesh I thought with lollipop they managed to make huge gains in GPS performance that was supposed to be a huge battery saver? I remember this was a specific point in a keynote I watched a while ago. I guess that was just BS.

Sent from my Samsung S6 using Tapatalk

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeesh I thought with lollipop they managed to make huge gains in GPS performance that was supposed to be a huge battery saver? I remember this was a specific point in a keynote I watched a while ago. I guess that was just BS.

In many ways it has improved. Only in this case, many have enabled not only gps for weather but high syncing rates. The combination is killer on your battery, and it always will be until gps can run without notable battery drain.

Posted via the Android Central App

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
In many ways it has improved. Only in this case, many have enabled not only gps for weather but high syncing rates. The combination is killer on your battery, and it always will be until gps can run without notable battery drain.

What do you mean many have enabled high syncing rates? According to what? By default it seems at least the weather ones I've tried are usually set around hourly or even less frequent. I just find it hard to believe a simple polling for weather data 12 to 24 or even 48 times a day would really drain all that much battery. Loading a single website would take up way more power to do.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
It's the daemon used to support the weather stock app...people are saying its taking up a lot of battery?? Wow maybe I'll consider disabling and replacing as well. ..but I like the stock one a lot

Thanks erasat for the suggestion to take off current location, set it to my home city only I'll see of this improves battery.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
It's the daemon used to support the weather stock app...people are saying its taking up a lot of battery?? Wow maybe I'll consider disabling and replacing as well. ..but I like the stock one a lot

Thanks erasat for the suggestion to take off current location, set it to my home city only I'll see of this improves battery.

I keep location off and use it only when needed.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I keep location off and use it only when needed.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

I want location on since I track my steps and Google fit requires it...otherwise I wouldn't really use it. My nexus 5 always had location services on and it didn't seem to cause much battery usage l, even for weather. But you're right I don't need it, Google fit is tracked by my moto 360...but in order for it to work, Google now wants location services on ...frustrating.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I want location on since I track my steps and Google fit requires it...otherwise I wouldn't really use it. My nexus 5 always had location services on and it didn't seem to cause much battery usage l, even for weather. But you're right I don't need it, Google fit is tracked by my moto 360...but in order for it to work, Google now wants location services on ...frustrating.

I can't tell you for sure as I'm not using Google fit now, but until a couple of weeks ago I was tracking my steps also with Google fit and it didn't need the Location on, I'm talking about my One Plus One until 22 days ago, and before that the Moto X and Xperia Z3 in the past couple of months. So if it's needed now I don't really know why. Ahh, and with my Moto 360 and now Asus Zenwatch.

Now using the great improved S Health I don't really see me going back to Google Fit for a while, even without using the Watch for it, it's tracking my steps only with the phone and surprisingly well by the way, so I'll keep doing it this way and without the need for Location. Try this yourself, maybe it also does the job for you.

Last edited:

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
OK I was under the impression it was needed, I shut off location to test how I can go without it. I agree S Health is much better than Google Fit, since I don't bring my phone when I work out it doesn't really track a bigger part of what I need...if I only cared about tracking my steps then ya I'd use S health but I have it disabled now.

Zoostation

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I'd be ok with the stock weather app if it didn't use Accuweather. Every phone I have used with Accuweather is 1 hour behind the most currently available data. I've found apps that pull current data but haven't found one with a widget that does.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Weather apps and widgets are NOTORIOUS for eating up batteries. Many of the damn things try to use fine location (i.e. GPS) to get location, which is idiotic unless you are using one of those hyper-accurate weather predictors like Arcus... for general weather, rough network based location is MORE than enough. Yet there they are, pinging your location service all the time.

The good ones allow you to at least fuss with the settings. I typically turn off 'follow location' and just set a static location.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall