Switching over to the S6 - any tips I should do when starting up?

mikeyboy80

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm about to get a new s6 to be honest I'm rather worried looking at what people have posted on here about the device lagging and battery life issues.

I wondered is there any I should do when initially setting up the device. Such as removing bloat ware (which bloat ware), etc in all order to combat these issues? Thanks

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Read over this thread: All Things GS6 and check out the battery life thread that's linked. I'm actually in the process of making a detailed battery section to my thread to easily use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm about to get a new s6 to be honest I'm rather worried looking at what people have posted on here about the device lagging and battery life issues.

I wondered is there any I should do when initially setting up the device. Such as removing bloat ware (which bloat ware), etc in all order to combat these issues? Thanks
The issues that have been noted vary by carrier and user habits/device setup. On AT&T, great performance, fast and smooth. Had mine since launch day.

Saros

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
...removing bloat ware (which bloat ware)...

This will partly depend on your carrier and further on your personal preferences. If you need help identifying what's considered bloat and what isn't, you can double-check against lists like this (for AT&T, T Mobile, Verizon) which will provide you with app descriptions. If you have additional questions about what to keep or disable, feel free to ask.

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Lag Tips:
Get Nova prime launcher and CCleaner they will keep your S6 quick and smooth. Another thing that I do to keep the phone smooth is just close all apps when I'm not using them.

Battery Tips:
See Erasats battery thread, it's a must read.

dreaming of electric sheep

clouds0222

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Something I've done with my Galaxy S6 Active is disable all animations in Developer Options. I read about that option in another thread, and though I didn't experience any significant lag, very little, disabling the animations has sped the phone up more than I could have imagined. I didn't know this option was available. Anyway just a tip that works good for me. :)

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
another thing to do is when you get it, apply all the software updates available at that time. and when they are done, go do a factory reset (erase phone) and start new. That helped with with all the lag/issues I had when I first got this phone.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Lag Tips:
Get Nova prime launcher and CCleaner they will keep your S6 quick and smooth. Another thing that I do to keep the phone smooth is just close all apps when I'm not using them.

Battery Tips:
See Erasats battery thread, it's a must read.

personally I would avoid any cleaner apps, and just delete things manually. I do it once every 2-3 weeks and find it more effective.

also, nova prime is a must. you can download nova for free, and if you like it upgrade to prime for $5 .... there's a "opinions rewards" app that is a must have. you simply take 10 seconds to answer a few questions every so often and it'll credit the Play Store. Figure you'll earn about $5 a month which is pretty cool.

also, I don't believe nova alone prevents lag, at least I haven't found that to be true, but I could be wrong.

Posted via the Android Central App

mikeyboy80

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Bit worried to be honest on the previous comments. People saying it's a failure and some saying that nova launcher is a must? Is the lag really that bad?

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
personally I would avoid any cleaner apps, and just delete things manually. I do it once every 2-3 weeks and find it more effective.

also, nova prime is a must. you can download nova for free, and if you like it upgrade to prime for $5 .... there's a "opinions rewards" app that is a must have. you simply take 10 seconds to answer a few questions every so often and it'll credit the Play Store. Figure you'll earn about $5 a month which is pretty cool.

also, I don't believe nova alone prevents lag, at least I haven't found that to be true, but I could be wrong.

Posted via the Android Central App

CCleaner just wipes the cache and saves significant time.

Saros

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Bit worried to be honest on the previous comments. People saying it's a failure and some saying that nova launcher is a must? Is the lag really that bad?
I don't think anyone was saying Nova is required to combat "lag", but rather because many prefer it over TouchWiz (myself included). Third party launchers don't actually speed up the phone's operations -- those like Nova include the option of using faster animation speeds when transitioning between screens, which gives you an illusory feel of scrolling seeming quicker.

Personally, haven't experienced any lag, and I've had the phone since launch day. Declines in performance are usually attributable to software issues or other factors, but it should be reiterated that the phone is quite smooth and speedy.

Don't let the negative comments dissuade you -- if you're curious to see how the S6 performs in advance, head to a shop and demo one yourself.

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site

im going back to the iphone 6s/7 once its out. this phone has been terrible *for me*. stock touchwiz is really really ugly. i've mainly been using nova (upgraded to 5$ version) and a different set of icons. it doesnt affect the lag i get. lag is just seemingly random. if i get an alert on the lockscreen and tap to go to that app, sometimes it just takes forever for no particular reason.

a lot of apps compared to iphone are really really bad. FULL of constant ads (not talking about the tiny little mobile ads you see sometimes at the bottom of an app but giant ones that just take over the whole screen at random times when using an app. SO annoying).

camera is super nice but apps that actually utilize your photos like instagram/vscocam/etc etc all automatically compress your photos SO poorly and make shots look terrible if you ever use those services. i've been taking shots with the s6 but then just sending them to my old iphone whenever i need to post anything.

here is a link explaining how terrible s6/android is with photo apps like instagram (this also happens in other apps for me as well):
A Look Into Instagram's Compression Quality

memory management is TERRIBLE. this phone has 3gb of ram but you'd think it didnt have any ram at all when using it. Chrome constantly refreshes. Apps like Tapatalk always lose your place when you multitask and then go back to the app. when using spotify, my s6 will randomly slow to a complete crawl. other times songs will just randomly pause for no reason at all.

overall the s6 has definitely been a failure for samsung. they're not selling like expected and are already planning price drops even though its barely been available for 5-6 months.

i took this phone on a 2 week vacation across europe. the s6 could barely last half a day while the wifes iphone 6 was just fine. i've been an iphone user since the 3g and wanted to try something new as well. turns out it was a terrible idea.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

I've had my S6 since the first day of their launch and I've been using the default Touchwiz launcher with no issues. The only major tweak I did, was to adjust the animation timings in the developer options settings to eliminate some noticeable scrolling lag.

In my opinion, the S6 is the best Android smartphone on the market. I have no regrets purchasing it.