restore/sync to new phone

paleolith

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm upgrading a Galaxy S9 to a Galaxy A52. I've reached the point in setup where it asks if I want to restore from another device.I do, but do I want to do it immediately? If it takes me a few days to finish setting up the new phone, will I be able to repeat the restore to get anything that changes in the mean time? Or should I count on making any changes on both phone while I'm getting the new one configured?

I know that are many things that don't matter. Email is IMAP. Photos are in Google's cloud. My most important app is Dexcom G6, for continuous blood glucose monitoring, and Dexcom provides instructions for moving to a new device. I have little in the way of media content on the phone, and that does not change often.

I'm not sure about SMS/MMS messages. Backup/restore should get them, but what about new messages? I can get them into email using SMS Backup+ (even after moving the SIM), but will I have recent messages on the new phone? I know there are other apps for this purpose.

I've tried to read about Backup/Restore, but I haven't found these technical details. I'm retired from forty-some years in IT, so I tend to ask questions.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah under settings>accounts and back up>if you have a restore it will be back up to that point of restore and newer ones won't until u make another back up