Why am I losing mobile data connection when screen turned off?

Dilip Swaminathan

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
Losing mobile data connection when screen turned off

I have a Galaxy S6 (64G) from AT&T. I've been having problems receiving Whatsapp notifications when the screen is turned off for a while. I measured that it takes about 10-15 minutes after the screen is turned Off using the web interface for whatsapp.
  • I have enabled notifications to always allow pop ups in the app
  • I checked that restrict background data is not enabled for Whatspp
  • I have set Whatsapp notifications as priority under App notifications
  • Checked to make sure that So not disturb is set to OFF
After the connection is dropped I see all the missed messages and notifications showing up only after opening the app. This has been very annoying and I've been unable to respond to important messages in a timely manner if the phone has been idle for a while. Does anyone have any ideas regarding what the problem might be and how it can be fixed ?

Thanks,
Dilip.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Losing mobile data connection when screen turned off

Welcome to Android Central! Do you have any power saving options turned on? That might cause the mobile data connection to temporarily turn off while the phone is idle.

Dilip Swaminathan

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site

Thank you so much for your reply Diddy ! I did have the power saving option turned ON. So I tried turning it OFF but the problem remained. I trred uninstalling WhatsApp and reinstalled it and that did'nt seem to help either. Then I came across this FAQ section in WhatsApp website.

Going through the recommendations listed there, I tried installing the Push Notifications Fixer app and still had the problem. After that I checked the status of Google Play Services under Data Usage and found that it had Restrict Background Data option enabled. This was surprising to me as I do not remember doing this myself. I disable the restrict Background data for Google Play services and this seems to have fixed my problem. I've been receiving the notifications for the messages as I receive them without any delays. Hope this is helpful to others who might face similar prob

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Excellent! Thanks for your detailed solution--I'm sure that will be helpful for someone else.

Vimal P R S

Feb 11, 2017
Visit site

Dude, please help me with this. I am facing the same issue on my new phone. I had the same issue when my previous phone was new and I figured out a solution. But this current phone is not satisfied with any amount of troubleshooting. Power saver is off, background data is not restricted for any apps, and yet I have this issue. I have gone through many websites and links, but nothing seems to be helping me with this.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member