Phone freezing for a short duration on a regular basis!

whitten66

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
I purchased a Galaxy S6 approximately five weeks ago. At first, I didn’t have any issues with the phone. However, over the last few weeks, a problem has begun occurring that is becoming very annoying. I hope someone might be able to offer some advice or help.

I first noticed that while I was sending a text message, there are times where I press on the screen to hit a letter, and nothing happens. The letter doesn't show up on the screen. This issue only occurs for a half second or second, since the next letter I hit is shown on the screen. When I finish typing a three page text, and look back through it, there are always 3-5 words that are missing a letter due to this issue.

At first I thought this issue was limited to texting, but I noticed the same thing occurring while using the calculator. Every so often, as I’m hitting numbers to put into the calculator, when I hit the screen to input a number, nothing happens. When I hit the screen a second or so later, it then works. I have also noticed something similar while playing games on my phone.

It appears that either my phone is freezing for a second or so on a regular basis, so that it becomes non responsive, or that my screen doesn’t work for a second or so on a regular basis.

Has anyone encountered this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions regarding a potential fix?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Turn off your phone, and then turn it on by holding the volume up key, the power key and the home button. You should get a message in the top left saying it's booting into recovery. Then you can use the volume buttons to scroll down and wipe the cache partition

curtmcd

Feb 13, 2018
Visit site
After 3 years of trouble-free operation, my Note 4 suddenly developed a similar problem within the past 2-3 weeks. There was a recent update to Android 6.0.1, but I don't know if that's correlated.

There is a brief freeze every 20-30 seconds that lasts from 3-10 seconds. Because of this, the phone has become extremely unpleasant to use.

The freezes can happen anytime, during typing or scrolling or swiping between home screens, and there are hiccups in audio playback. Keyboard and screen input are not lost, but are delayed until the phone unfreezes.

I have tried to:
  • Check for apps with unusual battery consumption
  • Unmount SD card
  • Format SD card
  • Remove SD card
  • In maintenance mode, clear cache partition
  • In maintenance mode, wipe phone

None have helped. After the reset, I had it restore all apps. My next attempt will be another factory reset without restoring the apps.

Update: factory reset without restoring apps seems to have fixed it! Now to determine which app was at fault.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non