I hard reset an S6 I purchased and can't get past the gmail screen. What do I do?

Shannon Bradford

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I hard reset an S6 I purchased and can't get past the gmail screen.

I purchased an S6 for my store. IMEI is good, Verizon says it is off contract, not stolen. When they leave I hard reset to erase their pictures and personal data. Now it wants the gmail address associated with the phone and I can't get past this menu and I don't have a way to get hold of them. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem? I have customers coming in asking the exact same thing.

Jimmy Le1

May 22, 2015
Visit site
Re: I hard reset an S6 I purchased and can't get past the gmail screen.

Hi Shannon ..
Try this first :

The first option is to perform a Soft Reset, which is the easiest way to perform a factory reset for those who can access their phone’s settings. If you’ve already backed up your files, you can return your phone to factory settings easily through the settings menu.
Open Settings and scroll down to the Backup and reset option. Towards the bottom of the screen, tap Factory Data Reset.

The on-screen prompts will warn you that all data will be lost and the phone returned to default settings, but that’s why we’re here, right? Confirm that you wish to perform the reset, and then press Reset Device.
Your phone has now been restored to factory settings.

------------------------------------------------

HARD RESET ;

There is a second option, the Hard Reset, and those who have lost their passwords and are unable to access the phone’s settings will be able to perform a factory restore this way.
Turn off the device.
Once the phone is off, hold the volume up, home, and power buttons down simultaneously. Continue to hold this combination while the phone boots, until the screen shows the Android Robot.
After a few moments, you will have access to the phone’s boot menu. Using the volume up/down buttons to navigate, and the power button to make selections, find and select the Wipe Data/Factory Reset option.
Scroll down to Yes, delete all user data, and press the power button once again. You will notice script scrolling along the bottom of the screen, which will end in Data Wipe Complete.
Once the operation is complete, press the power button once more to reset the device.
The phone has now been returned to factory settings, and you no longer have to worry about that lost password.
Just make sure that you remember your new one.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately not. This is similar to Find my phone aka iOS lock with iPhones. The user has turned on a security feature that they failed to turn off prior to resetting the phone. So the phone thinks it still belongs to whom ever had the phone prior to you and set up that feature.
It can be remotely disabled but as you stated you dont know how to get in touch with that person. This is an instance of security features designed to prevent theft hindering a legitimate sale or use of a phone.

Shannon Bradford

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

I have done a hard reset many times and it does let me go through the set up process. However when I get to the google part of the setup it says this:
"This device was reset. To continue, sign in with a google account that was Previously synced on this device." It wants the previous email that was on it before. You can click on: Need Help Finding your Account? But it wants the private information from the previous owner to verify the email address and I do not have this.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciateded.

Shannon Bradford

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Please let me know if you find a way. Right now it is an expensive paper weight. Please keep me updated if a break through comes available and I will do the same.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Technically there shouldnt be any way around it. Its a security feature designed to cut down on re-selling stolen phones. Like iCloud lock there isnt any way around it, otherwise it would be a crappy security feature. If you work for a carrier you may try to work with them / google to get it removed through legitimate channels. Long shot.

Robi-K

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site

Yes you can remove it. Its called FRP lock or Reactivation lock. Search on google remove frp lock samsung. You will need an otg cable and a usb drive. You will need to download an apk and install it thrue the otg. After that your good to go.

The easy way is to cantact the seller and ask him for help.

Posted via the Android Central App

Robi-K

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site

Unlike find my iPhone the frp lock or reactivation lock is in your phone. With find my iPhone the lock is on Apple servers. That is why there is now way around that.
On an iPhone when you activate Find my iPhone you link the phones imei to that account witch is registered in apple servers.
Android factory reset protection is registered only on the phone not Googles servers.
And the other flaw with android reset protection is that if you do a factory reset within the settings menu it will disable frp lock without password.

Posted via the Android Central App

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana