Move contacts from phone to gmail account

toy4rick

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

What is the process to move existing contacts from the phone to my gmail account? I wasn't aware they weren't being backed up

Thanks in advance
Rick

w2xq

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

What is the process to move existing contacts from the phone to my gmail account? I wasn't aware they weren't being backed up

Thanks in advance
Rick
Hey all Rick, my Gmail contacts and mail cross fertilize between the S6 phone and two Samsang tablets and an old Asus mini. And VZW has its backup service. I would go into Gmail settings for each device, and remove any restrictions that snuck in over time.

toy4rick

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi there,

It's not my gmail contact/mail, its the contacts saved to my phone that don't backup. When you create a new contact, it asks if I want to save to the phone or my gmail account, i was selecting phone w/o thinking about it really. When I open my gmail account, my contacts contain just a fraction of the contacts on my phone

Thanks again
Rick

Nabil Azarou

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Contacts ==>Settings ==>Move device contacts to.
Then you choose between Gmail or Samsung account to back it all up.
Hope that helps :)

Posted via the Android Central App

w2xq

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I am on Verizon. Try this. Not sure if it will work as I haven't needed to do this since going to Android with a MOTO Droid but it shouldn't do any damsge. On the S6:

Contacts > More > Settings > Import/Export contacts > Export

You should be able to move the newly created (VCF) vCards off the phone via a cable to another computer, create a backup, and then play with the VCF files with a spreadsheet, text editor or something else. Or put them into Gmail directly:

Launch a browser and go to:
https://contacts.google.com/u/0/preview/all

On the left, under your account name and "All Contacts", choose More > Import and in the newly opened dialog box select: CSV or VCard file.

On the Contacts page https://contacts.google.com/u/0/preview/all there is an option to Find Duplicates.

The process sounds messier than it really is. The VCF and the CSV standards make this kind of contact migration between dissimilar email systems -- PC, Mac, BlackBerry, Android, iOS -- doable. In the past, I have merged multiple mail accounts, including BlackBerry, and opted to do cleanup, editing and rearrange/relabel fields in a spreadsheet to produce a clean CSV file. I backed up the spreadsheet at each step before making a significant global edit.

Once you have imported the VCF or CSV file into your Gmail, a few minutes later your work should show up in the Gmail app and Contacts.

HTH. YMMV. FWIW VZW Tier 2 should confirm the Export to VCF process.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Even easier. Export the contacts. Import the file you saved, importing them as Google contacts. Sync your contacts. Go to Google Contacts, More, Find & merge duplicates. Turn on airplane mode and delete all your contacts. Turn off airplane mode and the phone will sync to Google Contacts - or sync it manually. (No need to change the file formatting - the phone can read the file it creates.)

You can also recover deleted contacts in the More menu at the site, if they've been deleted within the last 30 days.

w2xq

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Rukbat, I was just suggesting an CSV option if there were several hundred (or thousand) contacts to merge. I dealt with about 1500 contacts across multiple mail services to put together. Global editing was easier for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress