Glaring PIN bug???

sethyboy

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Me and my wife have been loving our S6es, but after the experience that happened today, I'm now very concerned about this

My young daughter tried to unlock my wife's S6 15 times, and then it started asking for a backup PIN. I figured no big deal, but THEN my wife told me she didn't create one. I was absolutely dumbfounded.

Device Manager would not work and my wife doesn't have a Samsung account, so I had no choice but to call Verizon. They told her to try a certain PIN to see if it worked, but after she tried a couple of times, the phone wiped itself, all her contacts, messages and pictures gone. My wife is distraught now because she had some very meaningful pictures in there, and now she'll never see them again.

I can't believe that Samsung apparently let this bug slip past. I always use a backup PIN on my phone, but this is still very concerning to me as it shows they didn't test the lock method correctly. There was never an option to unlock through Google, either.

This is on 5.1.1, by the way. Did anyone else ever experience this issue? Personally, I've always been a Samsung guy, but I believe I'll be thinking twice about buying any Samsung phone in the future after this incident.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear about this. Bummers!

I don't know about your S6, but on a Note 4, one of the options in the Lock Screen settings is called "Auto factory reset". This option, if enabled, will factory reset the phone after 15 unsuccessful unlock attempts are made. Is this option not available on the S6 lock screen settings?

From day one, I disabled this function... just in case!

myandroidgs6

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
Me and my wife have been loving our S6es, but after the experience that happened today, I'm now very concerned about this

My young daughter tried to unlock my wife's S6 15 times, and then it started asking for a backup PIN. I figured no big deal, but THEN my wife told me she didn't create one. I was absolutely dumbfounded.

Device Manager would not work and my wife doesn't have a Samsung account, so I had no choice but to call Verizon. They told her to try a certain PIN to see if it worked, but after she tried a couple of times, the phone wiped itself, all her contacts, messages and pictures gone. My wife is distraught now because she had some very meaningful pictures in there, and now she'll never see them again.

I can't believe that Samsung apparently let this bug slip past. I always use a backup PIN on my phone, but this is still very concerning to me as it shows they didn't test the lock method correctly. There was never an option to unlock through Google, either.

This is on 5.1.1, by the way. Did anyone else ever experience this issue? Personally, I've always been a Samsung guy, but I believe I'll be thinking twice about buying any Samsung phone in the future after this incident.

Hi sethyboy ..

That happened to me last week , and I called Verizon tech.support ..
the guy worked me through to reset my password through Google acct , in few minutes .
I don't why they didn't do that for your wife , I guess I was lucky to get the guy who knows how to .
For better or worse , you should have Samsung smart switch install on your pc so you can do a complete back back .

Remember ... always back up .... that's the only way to keep your precious pictures .

Cheers .

Last edited:

sethyboy

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I actually happened to get most of the pictures back, because apparently they had gone to Google Photos before. She still lost all her messages and contacts, tho :/

The Verizon rep we got wasn't very intelligent, I didnt think. She told my wife to enter this "41111" pin which I had never heard of before, and it didn't work. After only a couple of tries, the phone reset itself.

I did find the "Auto factory reset" option and immediately shut it off. That setting was on our old S3's too, but it wasn't this much of a deal because you were REQUIRED to make and remember a backup PIN. I don't know what Samsung was thinking on this one. I've heard that they fixed it in 6.0 so a PIN is required, but I haven't got around to checking that out yet.

myandroidgs6

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I actually happened to get most of the pictures back, because apparently they had gone to Google Photos before. She still lost all her messages and contacts, tho :/

The Verizon rep we got wasn't very intelligent, I didnt think. She told my wife to enter this "41111" pin which I had never heard of before, and it didn't work. After only a couple of tries, the phone reset itself.

I did find the "Auto factory reset" option and immediately shut it off. That setting was on our old S3's too, but it wasn't this much of a deal because you were REQUIRED to make and remember a backup PIN. I don't know what Samsung was thinking on this one. I've heard that they fixed it in 6.0 so a PIN is required, but I haven't got around to checking that out yet.

Oh yeah ... 1 more thing , Verizon automatically had your cloud acct. set up ...
Have you ever checked it there , some of the pics might be still there ..
try to sync them back ...?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38