New photos or screen shots won't upload unless I open Google photos

toy4rick

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

I have my S6 setup to automatically backup photos to Google Drive. They will upload just fine if I open Google Photos after I take a new one. If I don't open Google Photos, they never upload

Stock S6 on Verizon, all patches are up to date
This has been going on for many months now

Thoughts?
Rick

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Just in case, go to settings - data usage and make sure that 'restrict background data' is not enabled for Google photos.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Javier, it was disabled already

Sure wish I could figure this out

Thanks again
Rick
Yeah, I imagined that, but worth trying though. :) You could try a couple more things.

- Do you have any battery saver option enabled or a similar third party app? Maybe there's something blocking background access to Google Photos.

- Clear cache for Google photos in settings - apps. Then, in the app own settings, change the back up & sync options. Set it as only on WiFi and while charging, restart the phone, take a couple of photos, plug the phone to a charger, while connected to WiFi, and wait for a while to check if the sync works.

- If nothing works, clear data for Google photos, restart the phone and have a fresh start. You'll need to sign in again, but it won't delete any personal data.