car bluetooth problem

bung_ho

May 5, 2017
Visit site
Hi all, I hope this is the correct forum for this question.

I have the s6 with Nougat (but I've had this problem at least since marshmallow as well).

The car is a toyota highlander, if that matters.

The phone and car initially pair fine. I see them connect two ways, "Phone" and "Media"

Actual calls using the phone (inbound or outbound) are fine -- I get the audio and speakers through the car, it works perfectly. If the car is tuned to a radio station when a call comes in (or when I make a call), the audio of the call automatically "breaks in" and takes over. During the call, the car's screen will show that a call is underway, shows the duration of the call, has a hangup button, etc. After the call ends, the car's radio will automatically resume playing.

When using an app on the phone that plays that uses the "media" connection (such as google maps, spotify, youtube) it also works fine -- I launch the app on the phone and I have to switch the car's audio source to Bluetooth but once I do that I get the sound coming from the phone over the car's speakers.

HOWEVER, some apps do not use the "media" connection, they want to use the "Phone" connection to play their audio, I guess because they want to emulate a real phone call. For example, when making a voice call through WhatsApp, or joining a meeting on GotoMeeting. This is where the problem occurs. I will make or receive a whatsapp call or join a gotomeeting, and the car will BRIEFLY recognize this by showing the customary "call is underway screen" and I will hear the whatsapp/gotomeeting audio through the car's speakers. But then after a few seconds, the car's screen will suddenly say "Call Ended" (as if the other person hung up on me) and the car will switch back to just playing the radio. Then the phone realizes its audio is no longer going out through bluetooth and start coming out of the phone's own speakers.

This drives me nuts. Does anyone understand what the problem might be? Thanks!

lucianus_luciferus

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
try this. after connecting to your car go on the phone in the Bluetooth settings and disable media audio for the car's connection then start the whatsapp call

bung_ho

May 5, 2017
Visit site
try this. after connecting to your car go on the phone in the Bluetooth settings and disable media audio for the car's connection then start the whatsapp call
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I tried it (left on only call audio, turned off media audio as well as 2 other options, i think message access and contact list access), but got the same result - car reported "call ended" a second after making the whatsapp call.

Imindaugass

Aug 4, 2017
Visit site
I'm experiencing same thing.
I had HTC One M8 and Bluetooth calls via WhatsApp, Viber, Skype, Messenger worked fine. But then I got Samsung J5 and started to have same problems as described above. Any calls received from app would show notification and end up in a second same if I would like to call using app it would try to connect and drop it at same moment. Now I've changed to Samsung S8 plus and still having same thing. So it's definitely problem with phone as my HTC M8 is working fine but Samsung's somehow not. I'll post here if I'll be able to sort this problem, please do the same if you will sort it first.