What's the best way to transfer content to my S7 Edge from my S5?

RJLOMMD

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I have ordered my Galaxy S7 Edge to upgrade from my S5. What is the best way for me to transfer my apps and, perhaps more important, how do I best transfer the data such as documents, photos,WhatsAPP chat logs, groups, etc.

I have most of the data on my SD card and I've gotten a 128GB micro-SD for the S7. Would I be best advised to format the card in the S7 and then, using my PC copy the files and folders to the card from the old one?

Will Samsung's "Smart Switch" work for transferring what is on the internal memory? I understand that when I sign on to Google on the new phone, the "Android Market" [just can't get used to calling it the "Play Store"] will install the apps I've downloaded.

I would appreciate any suggestions and help in making this upgrade/transfer as easy and complete as possible.

Thank you! :D

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would suggest syncing it to your Google account. That way any new phone you get will automatically load up the contacts when you sign in.

gadget0530

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
S7 comes with OTG dongle so you can plug your S5 to S7 and transfer everything over. You can also use samsung smart switch application.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
For pics and documents uploading to the cloud is probably easiest. But not the fastest if you wait till you get the phone.

Could be as simple as just attach both to a computer and copy the files.

App are a whole different thing. Google play will certainly install them, but app data may not cone over easy. May need to use a special backup app like helium or Samsung's smart switch if you want that data.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

FaTROBoT97

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
For Samsung to Samsung, Samsung Smart Switch will take everything over. It's pretty easy and makes a WiFi Direct connection between the two devices. You'll have to download it off the app store as its not installed on the phones.

RJLOMMD

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your replies and advice. If I were to use the Samsung Switch would it be advisable to remove the SD Card, run the app and then use my PC to transfer the contents of the old card to the new (larger)card?

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I would suggest syncing it to your Google account. That way any new phone you get will automatically load up the contacts when you sign in.
I too am moving from a S5, I never even realised it backed up my contacts to my google account. Moving all my contacts to google and the using the desktop version I was able to clear out loads of duplicates I had acquired over time. Now just 4 more days!

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Use the OTG adapter included in the box with Smart Switch. It'll take stuff from SD cards too if you want it to.

Vincam1

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
Here is a tougher situation. My S4 died but I had a 32 GB sim card with pics, games, app, etc. This sim card is already in the new phone. How do I extract these data onto new phone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress