SD card recommendations

mlsanders

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Ok thanks, also what's the difference between SDHC and SDXC cards? And will the s7 support either one?

HC only has capacity up to 32GB while XC is capable of up to 2TB, not that anybody is making a card that big yet.

You should check out that other thread, but personally I'm going with the Samsung Pro (Grey card). I think the speeds are good enough for most things you will do with the phone. It should even hold up alright for shooting short 4K videos. If you don't plan on doing that, the EVO+ would save you some money. I'm sticking with a Samsung card because I've heard their phones not always getting along with SanDisk cards and I'd just rather not take the chance.

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have used SanDisk without any issues on many Samsung phones. Any quality Class 10 can do 4k on the s7.

mlsanders

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I have used SanDisk without any issues on many Samsung phones. Any quality Class 10 can do 4k on the s7.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. I've used several SanDisk cards over the years with no problems. I also know Samsung makes quality cards and cost is about the same across the board, all things being equal of course. So this time around, I figured I'd keep the phone and the card the same brand.

Just be cautious if buying on Amazon. They're are counterfeits floating around. If you make sure they say "Sold and Shipped by Amazon" you'll be OK though.

bellamyepl

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Great thread right here going on about that. Should contain some helpful suggestions.

Which Micro SD card will you get for your S7 Edge? - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

I haven't used an sd card in awhile but I was wondering the best way to go about mounting it.. Should you format the card in your computer then put it in the phone and format it again and then plug the phone into your computer to get photos or songs or whatever? Or should you format it in the computer. Load it up with stuff and then put it in the phone? Thanks for the help

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't necessarily disagree with you. I've used several SanDisk cards over the years with no problems. I also know Samsung makes quality cards and cost is about the same across the board, all things being equal of course. So this time around, I figured I'd keep the phone and the card the same brand.

Just be cautious if buying on Amazon. They're are counterfeits floating around. If you make sure they say "Sold and Shipped by Amazon" you'll be OK though.

I completely agree with the buy only when sold by Amazon

trekmatt

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the tips guys, I was also wondering about the sandisk/Samsung thing as I've heard they can have issues so I was wondering which brand might work best

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
So if I buy an SD card do I just pop it in the phone or is there anything I need to do before putting it in the SD slot? Once I move pictures and other media to the SD card how do I access them again? I've never used one so I'm a complete newbie at this (I guess that's pretty obvious, huh?). Any step-by-step instructions would be greatly appreciated.

KimJongOMG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
I haven't used an sd card in awhile but I was wondering the best way to go about mounting it.. Should you format the card in your computer then put it in the phone and format it again and then plug the phone into your computer to get photos or songs or whatever? Or should you format it in the computer. Load it up with stuff and then put it in the phone? Thanks for the help

I just pop the card into the phone, format, then move stuff over using the cable. I've had problems in the past moving files over on to the SD card and then popping the card into the phone. It wouldn't recognize some files at times.

So if I buy an SD card do I just pop it in the phone or is there anything I need to do before putting it in the SD slot? Once I move pictures and other media to the SD card how do I access them again? I've never used one so I'm a complete newbie at this (I guess that's pretty obvious, huh?). Any step-by-step instructions would be greatly appreciated.

You don't have to worry about accessing the files on your card. The phone will auto detect videos, music, pictures, etc. and allow you to access them using apps. Music files will automatically show up using your music app, videos in your video app, and so on.

Insert card to phone -> format -> connect phone to computer -> (optional) create folders for types of files -> transfer files -> enjoy!

I'm a bit of a neat freak so I like to create folders for file types (music folder, video folder, etc.) so it's organized and easier to navigate.

Picking up a quality micro SD card is important for a lag-free experience. I've seen folks throw in cards from god knows when and complain about how long it takes to move files and such.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I just pop the card into the phone, format, then move stuff over using the cable. I've had problems in the past moving files over on to the SD card and then popping the card into the phone. It wouldn't recognize some files at times.

You don't have to worry about accessing the files on your card. The phone will auto detect videos, music, pictures, etc. and allow you to access them using apps. Music files will automatically show up using your music app, videos in your video app, and so on.

Insert card to phone -> format -> connect phone to computer -> (optional) create folders for types of files -> transfer files -> enjoy!

I'm a bit of a neat freak so I like to create folders for file types (music folder, video folder, etc.) so it's organized and easier to navigate.

Picking up a quality micro SD card is important for a lag-free experience. I've seen folks throw in cards from god knows when and complain about how long it takes to move files and such.

Again, I apologize for my ignorance but you say to pop it in and then "format." I really don't know what "format" means. Will the phone prompt me to "format" as soon as it recognizes that the SD card is present? Again, I need really simple step-by-step instructions! 😀

KimJongOMG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Again, I apologize for my ignorance but you say to pop it in and then "format." I really don't know what "format" means. Will the phone prompt me to "format" as soon as it recognizes that the SD card is present? Again, I need really simple step-by-step instructions! ??????

I don't have a S7 in hand to give you the EXACT steps but the following should be close enough:

Settings -> Storage -> Scroll to the bottom -> Format SD card on the very bottom

Once the phone has done its thing, which it does rather quickly, you're good to go!

gaff1515

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
samsung USA has an amazing deal on their 64gb micro SD card pro + is only $29.99. Every where else is 70! I can't post links yet sorry. Just Google samsung pro plus.

KimJongOMG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
samsung USA has an amazing deal on their 64gb micro SD card pro + is only $29.99. Every where else is 70! I can't post links yet sorry. Just Google samsung pro plus.

That's an amazing deal! Let's just hope it doesn't get backordered for a month like all my orders on samsungusa in the past :p

Here's the link:

Micro SD PRO+ 64GB Memory Card w/ Adapter

Edit: It's backordered. Well worth the wait though at that price. If you can't afford to wait, here's the slightly slower version in the same capacity from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Class...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5036486

Ignore the reviews and make sure you purchase it directly from Amazon (Ships from and sold by Amazon.com). You won't have issues with a counterfeit card that way.