Screen dim during phone calls?

JF2014

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is a device question or an OS question, however:

I use a BT device for 99% of my calls. Sometimes a Jawbone earpiece, and sometimes via BT in my vehicle.

My screen constantly dims itself in less than 10 seconds. This is a problem when waiting for prompts to input something on the keypad; I must touch the screen in an area without numbers, in order to wake the screen so I can see the numbers.

The time to dim is most often shorter than the time that automated phone systems take to chatter on and on before getting to some useful information about which number I might want to press to proceed to the next round of automated chattering...

Is there a setting to adjust the screen timeout duration while in a phone call? I can't seem to find one...

TIA.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I believe you just have to increase the overall screen timeout delay in the Settings>Display​ menu.

JF2014

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Diddy, but that's not it. My screen timeout is set for 2 minutes.

The screen doesn't timeout completely (to a black screen), but rather dims to a fraction of regular brightness. I assume this is to save battery life (as in a call using speakerphone, for example), but it's a horrible hinderance to using the dial pad in a phone call.

JF2014

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Turning off Adaptive Display didn't change the behaviour at all. Nor does having AOD switched on, or off.

To amend my OP, this happens whether I'm using a BT device or simply holding the phone and using the speaker.

JF2014

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I just tried, and yes. In safe mode the delay to screen dim is a consistent 10 seconds.

ETA: I've also tried with auto-brightness on and off, which induces no change.

Last edited:

JF2014

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Wow. I just got an OTA system update, and now this issue is resolved. The screen still dims at the same interval, but the reduction in brightness is much less. I can still clearly make out the keypad without having to wake the screen. Awesome!

kvpathik

Nov 13, 2017
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and this happens too me as well and I have tried everything that JF2014 has mentioned above. I have looked for solutions online and with no success. Very annoying when you are trying to use the phone.

Ms Cassie

Aug 12, 2018
Visit site
I have an Android phone and I was having the same problem. I found the answer
Unfortunately, you will have to download an app but it is super ez and super fast and works fantastically!!!! It is called Keep Screen On by Dionis. It is a picture of a smiling yellow sun.

Camborita

Jul 9, 2020
Visit site
Since the "Keep Screen On" app mentioned in the post above appears to no longer be working for many (at least according to the reviews in the Play store), I wanted to post what IS working for me, as of 7/9/20, in case anyone is still struggling with this problem.

Like many, I've read through many posts about changing various settings on the phone in terms of screen timeouts, etc., etc., none of which had any affect on the screen dimming during a call after 10 - 15 seconds. I finally came across a post on Android Stack Exchange from a number of years ago that suggested trying an app from the Play store called "Screen On Call" to stop the screen from turning off during calls.

I just installed it today and was really pleased to find out that it resolves the screen dimming issue during calls. I've only tested it for the last hour or so, but have rebooted the phone between test calls and so far it is working perfectly. Hopefully this will last.

I have a brand new Galaxy S10E, running Android 10, so am assuming this should also work for S7 owners or on other Samsung devices.

Also note the app in the Play store shows it contains ads, but I have not seen any so far. As info, I am running the DNS66 ad blocker and am also running Nova Launcher. Not sure if either of those would impact any ads (more likely would be DNS66), but thought I'd mention that also, in case it is useful to others.

Hope this helps someone, since this screen dimming issue while on a a call was driving me nuts! :D

cadkid

Dec 30, 2022
Visit site
Thought I would add a couple tid bits
the "Keep Screen On" app appears to be working with my Note 20 ultra. After swimming around the net often on many such quirks I learned it was in part due to a proximity sensor that in phones that are newer like mine possibly in S5s and S6s and newer. but in the newer phones this sensor dims the dialer aggravatingly and keeps the phone from functionality. So your in a call where its dial 1 for this thing or dial 2 for that thing etc. and you cant access your screen functions that your trying to work with. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...sor-is-not-working-properly%2F&token=On6w1Nfs found this link on the net that describes why people are facing this frustration and Samsung left no way to turn it off. Thus I think why apps like this "Keep Screen On" got developed. Appears their little ad on green button disables the program when you like to hold it up to your ear for the moments when you may not want to accidentally touch a button. Ill probly experiment disabling the program occasionally. https://forums.androidcentral.com/members/camborita-3145305/ camborita. I think you did well in at least seeming to partly answer my puzzling question as well as the person before you. So often you go through forums and they all talk about an issue but never answer what the person is wanting answers to. Your running into the problem cus of this proximity sensor and the added inability to turn it off when not desired or wanted. I will admit this little green button is something Android should incorporate for ease of the user. even holding down the button for direct settings. However this app does its job well.

cadkid

Dec 30, 2022
Visit site
Screen On Call by VORLAN Group Inc. (App)

To summarize:
* "Keep Screen On" app solves perfectly the screen off while dialing problem
* Phones newer than S7 have no way other than this to turn off the proximity sensor that causes this. My note 20 ultra is a good case and point.
* Note if the desire is to have the proximity sensor working while in a call. there is at least a button that allows for that.
* On off state of this program working can be toggled in the programs settings. you can default it on or off on the second settings switch for which I will experiment with. And leave "Show Floating Button" turned on. But turn off "pop up text" that’s just like having an unnecessary gag screen

Recap:
Screen On Call by VORLAN Group Inc.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...sor-is-not-working-properly%2F&token=s752bKdP
To give someone the info they are needing without the brain scramble to find an answer. But if you really want the rest of my analysis you can read the above text where I go into more detail about my own quest to get around this issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87