How do you use your Edge Panel?

queenren

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
What is exactly this multi-window panel? And how can I do to see the color of people whom texted me? I settled my panel to 100% of transparency level.

The multi-window panel is a paid panel I believe (you have to download it from the Samsung app store). You can add whatever apps you want to the panel that support the feature and when you select apps from the panel to use, it opens them in the mini windows, so you can have multiple apps open on your screen at the same time.

As far as seeing the colors of whoever texted me, that is based on the colors you assigned to your 5 favorite contacts in your contacts panel. So when that contact texts you, that color will display on the edge of your device (if the screen is on).

Ryza321

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
The multi-window panel is a paid panel I believe (you have to download it from the Samsung app store). You can add whatever apps you want to the panel that support the feature and when you select apps from the panel to use, it opens them in the mini windows, so you can have multiple apps open on your screen at the same time.

And what is a typical use of multi window apps? Give me an example please

As far as seeing the colors of whoever texted me, that is based on the colors you assigned to your 5 favorite contacts in your contacts panel. So when that contact texts you, that color will display on the edge of your device (if the screen is on).

Will I see the color even if I set the panel's transparency to 100%?

Bag of Leaves

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site

My most frequent use of the Multi-Window Panel is the calculator app that I use (CALC, not the stock calculator). If I need to add or otherwise calculate numbers that are in an e-mail, on a Web page, or otherwise in an app, I can use the Multi-Window Panel to open the calculator app at 60% its normal size (you can change the size percentage in the Multi-Window Panel Settings) right over the app that has the numbers I need in it. No having to flip back-and-forth between apps to input all the numbers. The calculator can be moved around the screen wherever I want it as well as minimized into a floating icon (if you have ever used Facebook Messenger on an Android phone, you have seen the floating icons of your friends' profile photos - it works just like that) for if you want to view the entire screen of the app with the numbers in it. I can also maximize the calculator to full screen, if I want.

The other apps I have in the Multi-Window Panel are Fraction (calculator for fractions, same reason as the regular calculator); Phone (dial a number I see in another app or just without having to leave another app); Skype (same reason as Phone); MX Player (video player, so to view videos in a small floating window); Chrome (check something on a Web page without leaving another app); Maps (enter an address I see in another app or just want to check something without leaving another app); S Note (take notes over any app); WhatsApp (message someone without getting too interrupted, just like with Facebook Messenger); and Messages (text someone, same reason as WhatsApp).

Bag of Leaves

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
Here are some screen shots of apps opened via the Multi-Window Panel:

image.jpg
I Google Image searched for a random price list to use for this example and then used the CALC app on top to see the difference between two of the packages on the list. The white circle at the top of the calculator app window is what you use to drag the window wherever you want it, and if you tap on the circle, you get a options to minimize it, maximize it, close it, and another option.

image.jpg
You can see the CALC app icon after I minimized the app. You can drag this floating icon anywhere.

image.jpg
Here, I am watching a video of my dog playing in the MX Player app via the Multi-Window Panel. The volume keys work to adjust the sound for the video from loudest to muted.

image.jpg
It ain't called MULTI-Window for nothin'! Here, I have the MX Player app minimized (blue icon with white triangle) while I have CALC, Fraction, and Phone placed around the screen. I would probably never actually use it like this, but it can be done.

image.jpg
Lastly, here are all those apps minimized to icons and placed on the edge of the screen in an overlapping lineup. You can place them anywhere, but the only annoying thing is your placement isn't saved if you open the app up to a window or maximized full screen, so if you minimize it to an icon again, you have to re-place it where you want it. The Facebook Messenger floating icons remember where they were placed, so I am sure it is something Samsung could implement, they just haven't. And if you have the setting activated, if you maximize one of your apps, just drag your finger down diagonally from the upper left corner to get the app back to a window (as you can do with any app that supports the multi-window feature, even if you didn't open it from the panel).

Bag of Leaves

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
Don't people just use screen on display instead of night clock? Makes more sense

Do you mean Always-On Display? I do. Night Clock is too small for me to use when I need to flip up my eye mask for the shortest time possible (for medical reasons) to quickly glance at the time. I have Always-On on all the time already anyway. And I use the Wireless Charging Stand at night, so it is angled perfectly for it. You can now program Always-On to only be on at night (or whatever other hours you wish), too. But many people here use Night Clock, so to each their own.

the game 161

Banned
Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Do you mean Always-On Display? I do. Night Clock is too small for me to use when I need to flip up my eye mask for the shortest time possible (for medical reasons) to quickly glance at the time. I have Always-On on all the time already anyway. And I use the Wireless Charging Stand at night, so it is angled perfectly for it. You can now program Always-On to only be on at night (or whatever other hours you wish), too. But many people here use Night Clock, so to each their own.
Yeah I use the always on display from 23.00 to 5.15am and use my wireless stand too.

It's the perfect clock

Bag of Leaves

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I use the always on display from 23.00 to 5.15am and use my wireless stand too.

It's the perfect clock

I agree, plus I also am used to the one from my previous phone, the S3, that automatically turned on when the phone was placed on the (wired) charging stand - it was similar in size (though I use one of the calendar Always-On options, so a bit different and I kinda miss having the temperature, but not a huge deal since I have the temperature on my Lock Screen).

love4speechless

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
I am LOVING this notification of a text message on the edge how you can slide the colour out to reveal the message and answer it

Attachments

• 1463733416099.jpg
    1463733416099.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 20

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I had problems with the delete multiple words option on the new Google keyboard when I had the edge panel activated. Now I've switched it off, the delete works every time. The tab to activate the edge panel was higher up than the keyboard but seems there was still some interaction going on which affected the keyboard

Posted via the Android Central App

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I never really planed on using any of the edge features anyways because I knew they were not going to be what I was used to because I have a Note Edge.

Anyone who has a Note Edge phone, knows that those edge features actually were useful. You could be using an app and someone calls and you could see the caller ID in the edge panel and answer or decline the call all from the edge panel without ever leaving the app you were in or without being interupted while typing something. You could control music from within the edge panel all without leaving the app you are within UNLIKE the current S7 Edge where you use an edge panel and it blurs out the rest of the screen which makes all that screen useless.

Notifications would display in the edge panel as well and it would show you the entire message so you could read it and tapping on it would take you to the app. That doesn't happen on the S6/S7.

There are many other edge features too on the Note Edge that were never brought over to the S6/S7 Edge.

Samsung took what was actually useful on the Note Edge and didn't add any of that into the S6/S7 Edge and ruined it.

I'm happy that I bought the S7 Edge, and I actually own two of them. I knew the edge features would not be something I would use but the screen is bigger then the S7 and the battery life is better and yet it's a bit smaller then my Note Edge and smaller than an iPhone 6S+ but yet has the same screen size.

I've actually been using my Note Edge as my daily phone again and leaving my S7 Edge at home. I'm not going to sell either of my 2 S7 Edge because I still use them at home (I have five T-Mobile lines) it's just as I prefer to use a phone that is much more useful to me when I am at my job or out with friends. I even ordered to more extra batteries for it last week.

I always thought it's because those features were redundant on a lollipop/marshmallow phone.

The phone call on the edge is redundant to the phone call notifier taking popping down from the top of the screen when doing something in another app. That also occurs on messaging while in other apps.

love4speechless

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
@NexusGirlX

It DOES do the same thing on the S7 Edge. I got a red bar appearing on the edge cause my mom had texted me and sliding it to the left allowed me to see the whole message and gave me the option to either call or text back

Zammo76

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site

How do you change the color of your 5 favorites?

queenren

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
How do you change the color of your 5 favorites?

From the Edge panel, tap on the gear icon on the left side and then tap on the pencil icon on the bottom of the 5 contacts panel. On the right side of your contacts' picture, you will see their dots signifying the colors they are assigned. Tap on each dot to change the color.

queenren

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

Yes, you will see the color. The transparency is for the Edge Panel bar, not the colors. Just try it and see. You won't know if it works for you until you try. :)

My most frequent use of the Multi-Window Panel is the calculator app that I use (CALC, not the stock calculator). If I need to add or otherwise calculate numbers that are in an e-mail, on a Web page, or otherwise in an app, I can use the Multi-Window Panel to open the calculator app at 60% its normal size (you can change the size percentage in the Multi-Window Panel Settings) right over the app that has the numbers I need in it. No having to flip back-and-forth between apps to input all the numbers. The calculator can be moved around the screen wherever I want it as well as minimized into a floating icon (if you have ever used Facebook Messenger on an Android phone, you have seen the floating icons of your friends' profile photos - it works just like that) for if you want to view the entire screen of the app with the numbers in it. I can also maximize the calculator to full screen, if I want.

The other apps I have in the Multi-Window Panel are Fraction (calculator for fractions, same reason as the regular calculator); Phone (dial a number I see in another app or just without having to leave another app); Skype (same reason as Phone); MX Player (video player, so to view videos in a small floating window); Chrome (check something on a Web page without leaving another app); Maps (enter an address I see in another app or just want to check something without leaving another app); S Note (take notes over any app); WhatsApp (message someone without getting too interrupted, just like with Facebook Messenger); and Messages (text someone, same reason as WhatsApp).

I think @Bag of Leaves gave you great scenarios for multi window! I personally use it a lot with YouTube and the notes app. I learn a lot about different subjects and topics on youtube, so I take notes with my notes app while watching YT. Or if a website is mentioned, I can go to the site without leaving YT. Things like that.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
@NexusGirlX

It DOES do the same thing on the S7 Edge. I got a red bar appearing on the edge cause my mom had texted me and sliding it to the left allowed me to see the whole message and gave me the option to either call or text back

You are talking about People Edge. I wasn't talking about that. Also, to use that feature, you have to turn the phone upside down or it won't work at all. I could never ever get used to turning my phone upside down to use the features.