Only 3.5 Ram?

danielbroadwell5

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
So I'm using this app to tell me my system specs and I have a Verizon s7 edge and it's only registering 3.5 gb.... when advertised 4gb??? Anyone else notice this?

5c6dbc69f8cde7b6e5a00c30d171b4b4.jpg

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
There is always a little set in reserve for the system. Even in PCs, the user doesn't get all the RAM in the modules.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You would think it's would say physical ram installed 4gb and then system ram 3.5. Idk I just find that strange.
No other computer does, so why should Android? (Granted, the specs on a phone are listed completely differently than the specs on a desktop, but they mean the same thing. 3.5GB of physical RAM is installed for the system, .5GB of RAM is installed for the video, so a total of 4GB is installed - but "RAM" in a phone doesn't count what's installed for video.)

danielbroadwell5

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
Nothing like a computer then. Really disappointing. I even worked for Samsung and they never told me this. Frustrating. Then do iPhones only have 1.5gb now? I doubt it they label 2gb in there 6s and 7 and 7 plus.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Nothing like a computer then. Really disappointing. I even worked for Samsung and they never told me this. Frustrating. Then do iPhones only have 1.5gb now? I doubt it they label 2gb in there 6s and 7 and 7 plus.

Yes. I have a 6S+ with an app called BMSSM installed that gives battery, memory and other stats. This iPhone has 2GB RAM but it lists the user RAM as only 1.55 and physical as being 1.94. The .5 is for video.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Oh okay, well I never did use Ubuntu or any verison of Linux. You would think it's would say physical ram installed 4gb and then system ram 3.5. Idk I just find that strange.
I fired up my Windows 10 PC, and without opening any programs, almost half a GB was taken up just to start the PC. For the record, I have almost everything disabled from auto starting on boot.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
This isn't unique to the phone. Any computer that uses integrated video will do the same thing. On a computer though you can go into the BIOS and tell it how much to dedicate to the video solution. I don't think this applies to the Exynos variant though. It has always been the case with the Qualcomm video solutions.

Dawhoda

Aug 13, 2017
Visit site
On my s7 Samsung I will go to play a game but look at how much memory I have out of 4 gigs and today it was 356megabytes!!!! How can I keep it with at least 2 gigs at all times what is using it all up?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
On my s7 Samsung I will go to play a game but look at how much memory I have out of 4 gigs and today it was 356megabytes!!!! How can I keep it with at least 2 gigs at all times what is using it all up?
Android is designed to maximize RAM usage and runs best this way. Without getting into all the nitty gritty, it's best to not worry unless you're having a specific symptom you think is related to it. There are memory managers out there that claim to free up RAM, but they end up fighting against the OS. At best, you'll see no difference. At worst, you'll have more lag and worse battery life using them.