Anyone switch between S7Edge and Note 5

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I have the S7Edge on Jump on Demand Tmobile. I'm holding it for a jump to the Note 8 most likely. I love the notes and finally had a chance to get a Note 5 64gb from Amazon the other day. That's now my daily driver and the S7Edge has become a very good backup phone

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm also holding both. I bought a new Note 5 in October to replace my wife's broken Note 4, not long after I bought the S7E for myself. She hated the Note 5, and I was able to buy her a Note 4 direct from Samsung. I switched my service to the Note 5 to make sure it was good to go before selling it. That was 30 days ago, and I haven't been able to bring myself to switch back to the S7E. I cancelled my phone insurance and am now self-insured with a ready spare.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm also holding both. I bought a new Note 5 in October to replace my wife's broken Note 4, not long after I bought the S7E for myself. She hated the Note 5, and I was able to buy her a Note 4 direct from Samsung. I switched my service to the Note 5 to make sure it was good to go before selling it. That was 30 days ago, and I haven't been able to bring myself to switch back to the S7E. I cancelled my phone insurance and am now self-insured with a ready spare.
I love it. Very interested to see what's going to come out of the S8 and Note 8

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I like the Note a lot more than I expected. And the only time that I pull the stylus out of its socket is to mess around with it. I don't use it yet. The Note's size is my only complaint. The S7E was just small enough that I can use it one-handed. I can't do that with the Note.

The thing that I really didn't like with the S7E was the edge screen. If we can believe the early reports, both S8 phones will have curved edge displays. I had the edge features disabled, but then the curved edges kind of got in the way of using the phone. For me, the flat-edged display on the Note 5 is a big win. The battery isn't quite as good as the S7E, but it gets me though the day and I always have my 10A Anker power cell with me.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
The Note 5 is usable one handed, just have to position your hand just right on it for balance and reach. It also has a one handed option where items are compressed for easier 1 handed use but I've never used that

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I've tried the one-handed setting, but then it feels a little bit unbalanced in my hand. I can make it work with one hand, but it feels like I'm constantly reaching. It works just with keyboard inputs (not the menus or the Apps drawer), and seems to work only with the Samsung keyboard. I use BlackBerry's keyboard, and it doesn't compress.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I still have my note 5 as a backup and my 7 edge is my primary device. I don't switch back and forward. Too much work lol

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I still have my note 5 as a backup and my 7 edge is my primary device. I don't switch back and forward. Too much work lol
I haven't switched back from the Note 5 since I got it a few days ago. No need to for me. If my backup was another type of phone like an LG V20 I'd probably change once in awhile

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I haven't switched back from the Note 5 since I got it a few days ago. No need to for me. If my backup was another type of phone like an LG V20 I'd probably change once in awhile
I did switch back to the edge today as I had a rather noticeable battery drain this a.m. on the Note 5. I let it charge fully and will try it again later

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Wow. That's weird. I had a big drain yesterday. Nothing looked out of the ordinary though. The Note seems to be behaving so far today.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Wow. That's weird. I had a big drain yesterday. Nothing looked out of the ordinary though. The Note seems to be behaving so far today.
I was on my road bike early this morning. Cold temps in the high 20s but that never cased issues before. It dropped from about 50% to 0 in 40 minutes.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I did switch back to the edge today as I had a rather noticeable battery drain this a.m. on the Note 5. I let it charge fully and will try it again later

You know, this has always been my biggest complaint about this phone. I've seen my phone easily go form 90% to 40% or lower in just two hours with only 15 minutes screen time and 8 hrs standby.

I try to get in the habit of closing all apps when I am done using this phone because the problem is usually caused by an app or some process that just runs and runs. I sometimes forget to close all apps and then the battery drain will happen and I want to throw the phone through the wall.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I did just the opposite to get my power drain under control. I leave apps open and my battery life is better than if I close then reopen apps all day. I close browser tabs though.

Looks like it's still true that these things have the same labels, but every one of them are different.