Switching to Samsung

bslick6597

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
Hello everyone..I am new to Samsung. I have always had an iPhone, but am thinking seriously about going over to the galaxy. The new s7 looks beautiful and sounds like a real good phone. I guess I am tired of being limited to having to do everything thru iTunes. Has anyone on here switched from iPhone to Samsung galaxy...and what are your thoughts. Are you happy with the switch. I am asking because it is just kind of all scary to me because I have been with iPhone so many years... Thanks ahead for all of the responses.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums, and hopefully soon, Android! I haven't switched from an iPhone, but here are some things to read though to possibly help:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ng-started-android-updated-2015-lollipop.html

New Apple iMessage de-registration tool lets you switch to Android and reclaim your SMS | Android Central

And while dated, this still might be useful:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/137252-apple-user-s-guide-android.html

Edit: Forgot a link that will also be helpful:
http://www.android.com/switch/

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'll repeat the immortal words of Douglas Adams; "Don't panic."

The switch is going to be a lot easier than it is made out to be. These are all devices that pretty much do the same thing... it's just that they are in a different location. It's like going to a new supermarket after shopping at the same one for years. At first, you feel like you can't find anything and it's a little bit frustrating, but it doesn't take long before you start to find your way.

One thing that I know trips up a lot of former iOS users tends to be the level of customization that Android provides... But just because something can be modified doesn't mean it SHOULD be modified. Get comfortable with the phone, play with the settings, toggles, go exploring menus, etc. Won't take long before you know what you are doing. Worst case you run into a roadblock, but come here and there will be someone here happy to help.

A couple of things that may or may not be in those guides:

Google Play Music will store up to 50K of your songs, free of charge... and the songs are accessible via the Google Play Music app on your phone, or the GPM web site (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../https://play.google.com/music&token=DJZkHPY0). There's no iTunes application, etc. And you can download the Google Play Manager on to your computer and it can take your iTunes library and automatically upload it into Google... that is, if you want to. I have good internet access (mobile or WiFi) pretty much all the time, so having my library there, ready to go, whenever I want is nice.

Second... Google Photos... I can't stress enough how good this service is. Make sure to have your pictures and videos backed (the Google Photos app will allow you do to this VERY easily). And you can also take all your iPhone pics and videos and push them up... it's a great service and it also offers unlimited pictures and video storage (while not in original quality, I can attest that they is as lossless a compression as you'll come across...).

There's a lot more.. but come ask here if you have any questions or issues.

tex0322

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Android is great. I made the switch from iPhone several years ago. I'm about to make the jump from an LG G4 to the S7 which will be my first Samsung. Looking forward to it.

victoryrules8

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
A lot of people try to switch from iPhone to Android and they just miss iMessage too much however if you can look past iMessage Android operating system is hands down the best I have switched from iphone about a year ago and I have never looked back its like there's always something new I can do with my Android device and I could not say that with my iPhone not to mention better quality displays better cameras etc. The list could go on. Definantly worth trying . Again overlook imessage seriously..

Posted via the Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
just because something can be modified doesn't mean it SHOULD be modified
Hoo yah.

Get comfortable with the phone, play with the settings, toggles, go exploring menus, etc. Won't take long before you know what you are doing. Worst case you run into a roadblock, but come here and there will be someone here happy to help.
Couldn't agree more. Especially with the community we have.

OP, push comes to shove, contact me, and I will either recruit help, or do my best to help however I can.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
OP, push comes to shove, contact me, and I will either recruit help, or do my best to help however I can.

Yeah, bslick6597, the boss comes down into the dungeon and rattles our cage when someone is in dire need of help. And we best get on it on we don't get the GOOD stale bread crusts.

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
iMessage will give you the most headaches.

This. Make sure you go through the step to de-register your phone number from iMessage BEFORE you get rid of your iPhone and upgrade. It'll make your life easier.

As a person who switches back and forth from Android to iOS a lot, i'm very intrigued by this phone. I had a Galaxy S6 but couldn't stand some of it's quirks and poor battery life. I'm on a 6s now and can't really live without iMessage and iCloud photo sharing at the moment. My wife and I just had a little girl 5 months ago so sharing videos, photos, etc. full resolution via iMessage to both our families all across the U.S. is so much better than dealing with MMS (like I had to with the GS6). Man I wish Apple would open up iMessage to Android :/

Last edited:

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Man I wish Apple would open up iMessage to Android :/

Three letters... RCS

It's a new communications standard being pushed by the GSMA... Google's recently announced they are going to add support for it. Would solve all these silly messaging issues that we have now. If you think fragmentation in Android is bad...

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Three letters... RCS

It's a new communications standard being pushed by the GSMA... Google's recently announced they are going to add support for it. Would solve all these silly messaging issues that we have now. If you think fragmentation in Android is bad...

yes, I'm looking forward to this. Can't wait till it's supported on the iPhone and all carriers and hopefully will solve the "silly messaging issues" that we have now

ron561

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I've switched between iOS and Android multiple times now. It's not a tough transition. Especially if you've never jail broken your iPhone.

What do you DISLIKE about your iPhone now besides iTunes??

Peter Kershaw

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I had an iPhone 4 and 5 prior to switching to a Galaxy S6 last June. I love it and would never go back to an iPhone again. Even though people slate the battery life on this phone, I find it much better than the iPhone. I also like how you can download files to your phone, ios just seems very restrictive in comparison. You will soon get used to the android operating system.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty