Three dropped calls with S7; never dropped calls on Note 2.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
The reception is usually 103 to 105 db vs 95 db on Note 2. ANyone else getting dropped calls on your S7? My wife's S7 has nearly identical reception of 103+. This is a big problem when on a business call. Singal strength show 3 bars on the status bar, btw. I have had the note 2 for over 3-1/2 years. I make LOTS of long calls. Many over a half hour each. That phone has been used in the same location as the S7. Sure seems like a phone issue, but with 3 bars of strength showing I'm perplexed why it should be a signal issue despite the fact the db is 10 worse on the S7.,

Googling shows very few online complaints about the S7 re dropped calls.

Last edited:

scotiez

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I have had several dropped calls but i don't think its phone related. If i get a dropped call at work i believe it is the building as it is solid metal, and i get a crap signal. I am thinking of turning on WiFi calling just because of this since i do have WiFi inside the building. Then sometimes i get dropped calls when i am talking to my mother. My mother has an iPhone 6, but she does not get a good signal where she lives. I heard WiFi calling is now available on her iPhone so this weekend i may turn that on for her to see if that takes care of her problem. Other phones that i have had as had about the same reception as my S7.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
What carrier are you on? I am on verizon and when advanced calling first came out i was dropping calls, then the system got better and now on advanced calling i cant even remember a dropped call in my normal area.

The reason i ask is since you are going from a note2 to an s7 there may be some settings that need tweaked.

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Verizon. I have advanced calling enabled.

We had a stable 20 minute call with both phones in the car from SJ to Los Gatos. In Los Gatos, the signal strength was 85 on both phones, which of course is excellent. for whatever reason the two s7's show 10db worse signal than the Note 2's, at home. Because the bars are at 3, I'm puzzled by that, given that it is at 105db at home. I thought the bars would be down to one. No?? Is that not how the bars work, relative to the Sig Strength?

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
FYI, the S7 has the same crap antenna as the S6 I tried every way to fix it, there is no fix. S6 definitely has worse reception than my old HTC M7. BTW you only notice this in less than optimal coverage areas, so people saying there's nothing wrong with their reception are in an acceptable range of coverage for the S7.

dreaming of electric sheep

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
agreed. sig strength is no match for the note 2, which is the only recent phone I have to judge against. having said that, in the same exact spot, sitting 3 inches from my laptop where I lost a call the other day, it has 105db of signal and has been on a test call for 35 minutes and counting. I have no way of knowing if the dropped calls were a result of the other party as they were business calls that didn't call back so it is conceivable it was a problem on their end. one was Amex and the other two I forgot, but they weren't family/friend calls, that much I remember.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Does your note 2 have LTE? Im with TMO and the Note 3 (going by memory so i could be off) need a software update to get LTE and the Note 2 didnt have it.
The S7 does, so if your Note 2 does not get LTE then comparing the signal strength of your S7 and Note 2 is not a good comparison.
But if your on ATT maybe their note 2 had it. Just a thought.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Does your note 2 have LTE? Im with TMO and the Note 3 (going by memory so i could be off) need a software update to get LTE and the Note 2 didnt have it.
The S7 does, so if your Note 2 does not get LTE then comparing the signal strength of your S7 and Note 2 is not a good comparison.
But if your on ATT maybe their note 2 had it. Just a thought.

Yes it is verizon LTE

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not "dropping" calls but the reception is definitely not as good as with my S5. I've disabled the video calling part of Advanced Calling and that didn't help. I'm going to put the Network Mode back to Global. I changed it to LTE/CDMA (yes, I have LTE). Don't know if that could have anything to do with it or not but I'm looking for a solution. If I disable HD calling, I guessing the sound quality of the call will suffer?

scotiez

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I have had a couple of dropped calls. I was told to turn off the advanced calling that includes HD and Video calling if this becomes to much of a problem. This is a fairly new feature that Verizon is implementing into its service, How ever not all phones have this feature and if you move between 4G and 3G you will drop the call. Since most of my day at work i am in a WiFi area i have turned on WiFi calling, and i have not dropped a call yet as most of my calls are now going through WiFi. For those of you who do not have access to WiFi just try turning off the advance calling for the time being to see if your calls improve. Also If you turn off the HD voice and video calling your sound quality shouldn't suffer to where you would notice it alot anyway as all our signals are digital.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm not "dropping" calls but the reception is definitely not as good as with my S5. I've disabled the video calling part of Advanced Calling and that didn't help. I'm going to put the Network Mode back to Global. I changed it to LTE/CDMA (yes, I have LTE). Don't know if that could have anything to do with it or not but I'm looking for a solution. If I disable HD calling, I guessing the sound quality of the call will suffer?

For any call that you are on with someone that does not have an HD capable phone on the same carrier the sound quality will remain the same as it has been for years. HD voice quality only works between the newer phones which have HD and on the same carrier.

wmanteris

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
I just turned off the Advanced Calling and enabled the WiFi will I experience the same issue if I'm on the WiFi calling at my home and get in the car and it has to move to the mobile network? I've been really frustrated that I'm on a business call and don't move at all and suddenly the people on the other end no longer can hear me as I'm speaking. So I have to jump up and hope I hit a spot somewhere else in the house that they can again communicate with me before they hang up. Thinking about returning the phone and going with the Droid again.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I made a call with WiFi enabled and never heard such a horrible quality connection. It was so garbled I hung up and redialed with 4G and the call sounded normal. I think it was because I was right at the limit of the wifi signal at my home--I was in the backyard where the signal is quite weak, and the WiFi symbol was still enabled at the top of the phone when I made that garbled call. Without doing any more WiFi enabled calls for testing out my theory, I said to myself that the problem was due to a weak WiFi signal. There is no legit reason I can't stay on 4G for ALL phone calls, so I disabled the Wifi calling feature and have had no more garbled calls.

scotiez

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
The WiFi calling for me has been ok. I have not even noticed that the call actually went through WiFi until i look at my phone under the recently called list, and see the person or number i talked to. It has a phone icon with the WiFi icon by it.

teg10

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
I've had the s7 for about a month now, and get dropped calls on just about every extended call - typically about 30 minutes into the call. Many times, I'm sitting in the same spot, in my same apartment, without moving for the entire duration of the call, so in my case the dropped calls aren't due to moving from LTE-capable to non-LTE-capable areas. I've also had static/interference on just about every call, and folks on the other side of the line often get interference or worse, suddenly can't hear me at all even when I can still hear them.

I've tried the phone in a number of other places, both indoors and outdoors, and the call quality continues to be spotty and largely poor. Interestingly, I can usually hear the other person better than they can hear me, and while many times the other person has completely stopped hearing me mid-call, that hasn't happened in the other direction.

The phone is largely as it was from the factory/store - I've only installed a few basic applications (along the lines of Spotify, Speedtest, etc.), and have only tweaked a few basic settings.In any event, these call problems existed right out of the gate, before installing any apps. I've tried a factory reset - no help. The phone is running on 6.0.1 and has the Feb 2016 security patch.

I'm on Verizon, and never had this problem in the past, with my many other phones (iphones, Blackberries, and one Android), making calls in the exact same spot in my apartment at the same times of day/days of week. I didn't even know today's phones and networks were capable of such poor performance. (The earpiece volume is also nearly unusably low, but that's for another thread..)

I did find that the call quality was slightly better after turning off advanced calling, and switching from global networks to LTE/CDMA. But I don't have enough data points yet to determine whether this has helped with the dropped calls. I haven't tried wireless calling yet.

I do love the phone in most other ways - so have hung onto the phone hoping these issues are software-fixable. Still hoping for a solution!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87