Incoming calls not showing on Note 20Ultra

Donglelife872

Mar 3, 2021
Visit site
This is another annoyance whch I don't need. Annoyingly, the incoming calls (accept/decline) screen won't show when do not disturb is on. This suddenly started out of the blue; I hadn't messed with any settings for months. I have a Galaxy Note 20 Ultra.

I have it set to the screen showing for contacts. I've been testing it from another number. I remember an annoying, similar issue in the past. IIRC, I had to manually allow permissions for every ancilliary function to the ringer. The incoming call screen doggedly refuses to show on the home screen, whether locked or not.

I hadn't updated it in quite a while. I've updated it after the problem started, I've restarted the phone, I've emptied the phone cache. Nothing works.

I did noticed two apps called 'Phone'. One has a bunch of notification options available. The other one doesn't; just has the greyed-out allow option and one or two others (nothing about lock screen).

Permissions can be a real pain in the neck with modern Androids. I have never figured out how to apply all of the features of custom phone skins (to the ringer, etc). All that I can get to apply is the lock screen.

Best I can tell, it's Android 11, One UI 3.1.

Donglelife872

Mar 3, 2021
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is best listed in the Note 20 section or the Android 11 Forum.

Anyway, after many months of no changes to the phone (although I did turn off location a few days ago - I also tried it with it on), out of the blue the accept/decline screen won't show up on the lock screen. It initially wouldn't show up on the home screen while unlocked, but did after I fiddled with notification permissions.

Until this happened, I had not updated nor have I installed any apps. I don't get a lot of calls, but this is 10/10 annoying.

Best I can tell, I have Android 11 and One GUI 3.1. I'm using Boost Mobile.

Oh, and I'd also like to get the accept/decline skin back to the default, not the skin's. I changed to the skin's accept page, hoping that a change might help, but I've forgotten how I found it.

Speaking of skins, I've never figured out how to fully apply my skins. I can get them to apply on the wallpaper and the lock screen, but not on the ringer, text, etc.

Permissions are rather a pain on modern Android.

I vaguely recall a similar issue in the past about the call screen not showing. I had to permit about every ancilliary function of the default phone app. To the best of my knowledge, I've done that, although there's 3 different instances of 'phone'.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to turn do not disturb off, for who wants spammers to interrupt one's day? The last time I remember the call accept screen working was a few days ago, when a spammer number popped up while I was using Playerpro. I declined the call to make it go away.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I merged your duplicate threads and moved them to the Note20 forum (you had originally posted one of them in the S20 forum).

Donglelife872

Mar 3, 2021
Visit site
Ok. It had been a while since I visited and was using an old bookmark for the S20 thread.

No idea if it works in safe mode. When I tried safe mode and called from my home phone, I just get 'please leave a message for so and so number.' When I restarted to exit safe mode, airplane mode was somehow on and I had to reapply my theme. (I tried to call and same problem).

Donglelife872

Mar 3, 2021
Visit site
Long press the phone app then tap info>go to storage clear data and then force stop it this will reset the app and see what happens.
That would stink to clear all the blocked numbers. Will that also affect blocked numbers from the text app?

Per the other question, I don't think I'm using Good Lock.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That would stink to clear all the blocked numbers. Will that also affect blocked numbers from the text app?

Per the other question, I don't think I'm using Good Lock.
Doing this shouldn't affect the text app , when I've done this in past it would repopulate everything back but I have sync on for Samsung/Google back up if you don't back them up..

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok. It had been a while since I visited and was using an old bookmark for the S20 thread.

No idea if it works in safe mode. When I tried safe mode and called from my home phone, I just get 'please leave a message for so and so number.' When I restarted to exit safe mode, airplane mode was somehow on and I had to reapply my theme. (I tried to call and same problem).
I was reading things over -- you have Do Not Disturb on, but you're expecting the incoming calls to show up? Wouldn't the calls route to voicemail automatically when DND is on?

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Donglelife872

Mar 3, 2021
Visit site
I have Do Not disturb with the exceptions of numbers in my contacts.

As I understood it, even spammer numbers would pop up. It just doesn't ring. That's the way it's always worked for me.

It appears that I might be using good lock. It's there in my apps.

Joy, oh joy, the icon for my Grace digital app has disappeared after trying safe mode. This really stinks - that's my most-used app, other than playerpro.

Donglelife872

Mar 3, 2021
Visit site
When I went to the Google store to try and get Grace back, it shows that I have the Grace controller, but it has no app icon now. I had it on my home screen. I looked in 'apps' and also swiped through the various home screen overflow pages.

How do I get the grace controller icon back? It seems like something always goes wrong when I try safe mode. This is even worse than the ringer showing up.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Since you presumably aren't actively using Good Lock (since you didn't realize you had it in the first place), I'd start by uninstalling it, in case it's contributing to these various problems.

Donglelife872

Mar 3, 2021
Visit site
Ok, I managed to get the Grace controller back. The second time I went to the play store, it said 'enable' instead of 'open'. I restarted the device and then the grace app showed up in apps and I was able to migrate it into the home screen.

I was really excited about the phone when I got it in 2021, even keeping up with most of what sakitech was recommending. However, I haven't really done much with the phone since the end of 2021, other than the occasional update (basically, when it forces me to).

Reactions: B. Diddy

Donglelife872

Mar 3, 2021
Visit site
I tried updating GoodLock first. Under the good lock banner, I have:

Theme Park
Pentastic
Wonderland
Lockstar
Keyscafe
NavStar
HomeUp
Clock Face (I remember using this a few times)
QuickStar

I then went into Settings-Do Not Disturb and I tried manually allowing the goodlock app, but none of these seem to show up. I turned on LockStar and no luck. I then turned it back off.

Last edited:

Donglelife872

Mar 3, 2021
Visit site
I uninstalled Good Lock and restarted. Same problem. This is 10/10 annoying.

I want to make triple sure before I clear any phone data. Will this screw up my contacts? I'd better make darn sure my contacts are backed up before doing anything.

It's probably some permissions thing. Permissions can be pretty darn annoying. Such as, with those phone themes. I've never figured out how to get them toapply to the phone app, messaging app, etc. I'm not downloading skins willy-nilly, by the way. The only non-official themes I have are the ones from Echo Visuals, and I haven't downloaded any new ones this year.

I have downloaded 0 apps this year, actually.

How do I back up contacts digitally? I.e. not having to transcribe them manually.

Donglelife872

Mar 3, 2021
Visit site
I now remember why I had Good Lock. While using Poweramp, I wanted to have the best of both worlds in the lock screen, showing both the clock/regular lock screen, and what's playing.

I reinstalled Good Lock, but I can't remember how I got the lock screen the way I wanted it. I wish I hadn't fooled with it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I now remember why I had Good Lock. While using Poweramp, I wanted to have the best of both worlds in the lock screen, showing both the clock/regular lock screen, and what's playing.

I reinstalled Good Lock, but I can't remember how I got the lock screen the way I wanted it. I wish I hadn't fooled with it.
Go into Lock Star module in Good Lock the settings are there to mess around

Donglelife872

Mar 3, 2021
Visit site
There's very few on my screen. Under lock star, there's edit portrait lock screen/edit landscape lock screen/lock screen timeout. That's it.

I managed to muddle around and get the lock screen back like I wanted it. Nothing's changed per the phone. I'll have to make sure all the contacts are backed up before I mess with any phone data.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000