mobile hotspot started dropping a lot of packets (but usb tethering works fine)

gIaucus

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
New galaxy s7. Day 1 the mobile hotspot seemed to be working alright. Day 2 it seemed to connect but was running extremely slow and having trouble with things timing out before they would fully load--basically unusable. I didn't worry too much about it hoping that day 2 might be an anomaly since it was working day 1. Day 3 same issues as day 2, so I started troubleshooting.

I tried USB tethering, and that actually worked okay. So the 4G mobile data connection doesn't seem to be the problem. The wifi connection between the phone and my laptop seems to be the problem. But the phone is sitting less than two feet away, and the laptop shows full wifi signal to the phone. But if I run a ping from the laptop to the phone I see lots of packet loss.

I searched the internet and found lots of threads and articles about wifi issues on the s7 (nothing specifically about mobile hotspot though), but I tried a lot of the common remedies like disabling bluetooth, clearing bluetooth share cache, and checking for updates to no avail.

EDIT: I knew it. After hours of fruitless troubleshooting, if I publicly ask for help I immediately find the answer on my own right afterwards just to make me look stupid. I disabled and re-enabled the wireless adapter on my laptop, and that seems to have helped for now at least. Hopefully this fix will work long term. If there are any mods who can delete threads, please feel free to delete this one. I don't see any way to do it myself.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87