How do you keep your phone feeling fresh?

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I get bored of phones very easily. Maybe that's the reason I change it every other month. But since I've gotten the S7 I know there isn't any other phone I want or would want for at least a year. The only phone I'm looking forward to is the Nexus 2016 and the iPhone 2017.

Anyways. I usually keep buying different cases. Keep changing wallpapers and launchers. Well, not launchers. Just the wallpapers. I like the stock launcher on S7. Does what I need to do.

I'm bored. Already. I have almost 15 cases. I switch them up almost every day. But that's it. I rarely change the theme of the phone. Running out of ideas what to do.

What do you people do to keep your experience fresh?

Posted via the Android Central App
I just keep all my past phones and cycle through them constantly.

I have:

iPhone 5S
iPhone 6+
iPhone 6S+
iPhone 6S
Note 4
Note Edge
Note 5
2 S7 Edge

I have five lines activated on T-Mobile so it makes it easy just to grab a phone and go. I use a Gear S watch so I can grab any one of the phones and still get calls from my main # on the watch no matter what phone I bring with me.

I've been using the Note Edge as my daily phone though for the past month or so.

I won't buy another phone until I see what the Note 7 will be like. It will likely be the next one.

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
And thank you for understanding. Other people here just keep on fixating on the fact that I have no life. Doesn't feel very good.

Don't let someone bother you with their ignorant comments. I bounce around to different phones quite a bit myself and trust me, I have a life. I run a business, exercise daily and spend a lot time with my wife and kids. Playing around with different phones is like a hobby to me. I am finding that I stick with a phone longer than I used to though.

Anyway, the nice thing about android is being able to customize with keyboards, themes and launchers. Just try different things. Keep it fresh and enjoy!!!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Mod Note - Let's keep the post on topic versus attacking others simply because you don't agree with how they do things. It really isn't needed.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I changed my theme and the font but I couldn't change my keyboard. I've gotten used to the Samsung Keyboard it's predictability helps me a lot with the words in my native language. But changing the font and the theme has given new life to my phone :D I put a brown theme on with the brown leather cover I got. The phone looks nice inside out :D

And thank you for all the people who are supporting my bad habit of buying phones. I would like to clear some things out though.

I don't buy them every month I buy them every "other" month like after 3 or 4 months.

And secondly I don't face losses. I buy and sell used phones at very good prices. Rarely do I have to pitch money in. And that too not more than $50. So yeah. I like mobile technology and I'm passionate about trying everything new that comes out. And I blog for a small technology company too so... yeah.

I'm sorry I didn't make this clear before I thought it would be irrelevant.

Dillan K

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Sometimes, I take the case off. Other times, I put it back on again. I am a wild and crazy guy! (It's better if you say it like Steve Martin)

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
If it's just a phone, why do people make the choices they make between different models?

)
ah, because I said the phone is "just a phone", I didn't mean to imply one would not want to buy the particular model that suits them! Heaven forbid would I EVER, in this lifetime, buy an iPhone. I am so done with Apple, PLEASE stick a fork in me. Having said that, once I get a new phone, I get a case for it, download the apps that I've used in the past and go about my business. In that respect, to me, it's "just a phone". Yes, a quite nice phone (great screen, decent features, except no IR blaster), but it's still a phone. It isn't the second coming. It doesn't keep me warm at night. I've set up no shrine to it.

And that's all I have to say about this subject.

dfb8085

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
You could use KLWP as your wallpaper. It's so much more than just changing a static wallpaper. It can change how your home screen works on a daily basis and there are so many free KLWP wallpapers out there. While they are not free, check these guys out https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...r?id=Android+Home+Design&hl=en&token=rZtllQmT. Their KLWP app is updated reguraly and I know one of them and he makes those KLWP almost on a daily basis https://plus.google.com/+RodKucheran/posts

Pardon while I go clean up after looking at that second link

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I make it a point to buy phones that I know can be rooted and have unlocked boot loaders so that custom ROMs/recovery can be installed. Getting harder to do now though. Having the ability to go deeper into customization via root helps keep my interest in a device. Some devices with locked bootloaders are completely off of my list of contenders despite how attractive their hardware may be.

dontpanicbobby

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I mostly just try new wallpapers and different icon configurations tto keep my phone fresh. That "just a phone" comment was why I was against Convergence. When you had a Pocket PC you knew you were carrying a mobile computer.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I mostly just try new wallpapers and different icon configurations tto keep my phone fresh. That "just a phone" comment was why I was against Convergence. When you had a Pocket PC you knew you were carrying a mobile computer.

Yes this is a good suggestion as well. As far as I remember I have kept the same configuration of icons and widgets on my homescreen. As soon as I get a new phone I arrange them exactly the way they were before. One reason is that I make it functional. However I should reconfigure and think of new ways for the icons and widgets to be functional from time to time.

Thank you :D that's creative!

xtraflossy

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
GO RETRO! ...it's different and saves money buying newer phones.

When I get bored I take out my Mytouch 3G. It's REALLY cool to have a phone that small again.

Then after a few days I'm itchin to get back to my current phone.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
GO RETRO! ...it's different and saves money buying newer phones.

When I get bored I take out my Mytouch 3G. It's REALLY cool to have a phone that small again.

Then after a few days I'm itchin to get back to my current phone.

Haha I did try that. But the thing is that phone cameras are the only cameras I have. If it wasn't for having a great camera in my pocket all the time I would've done the same. I miss old phones. Especially beauties like RAZR and Nokia sliders.

Wish I could do that though :O can't convince myself to buy a separate camera now that phone cameras have gotten so good.

kenrico

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I am still under the 2 year contract cycle ..mostly used with odd numbered galaxy ie: epic S3 and S5 .

Previously would have rommed to get the phone a different look or changed the launcher . Back then was fighting for performance .

With the S5 went the other route. Last year grabbed a good quality glass screen protector , and a great fitting case that fit well with the Charging Back - and did a factory rom .. just unlocked & deodexed..no oc or theming . Felt a little different in hand so mission accomplished .

Thought I was going to upgrade, but seems like a few of the features I like are missing (Wireless charging, any shock or water resistance - Nexus 5X 6P) ( FM radio , UNLOCKED bootloader S7) and all the new phones have the built in battery now & NOT USB 3 charging ... also the 820 is shipping at a lower clock frequency than the S5 .

Next up for me is unlocked Deodexed Marsh Mellow , freezing all the dupe Samsung apps/debloat and then a black out type of theme for batt life ..maybe a new launcher .

Will be looking hard at the fall offerings , but after the spring hype and receiving G5 and HTC 10 seems the phone mfg are just churning out more of the same ..I maybe shopping for a new S5 and keep my contract upgrade as free insurance.

Kenny

MBM7881

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Fabreeze.

Sorry couldn't resist. I don't use any different themes, or a wallpaper.
I love my phone for what it is, a beautiful looking phone, with a great camera which does everything I require from it. How could I get bored of it.

Sounds like you need a hobby.

LMAOOOOOOOO that was epic lol

sd4483

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
I get bored of phones very easily. Maybe that's the reason I change it every other month. But since I've gotten the S7 I know there isn't any other phone I want or would want for at least a year. The only phone I'm looking forward to is the Nexus 2016 and the iPhone 2017.

Anyways. I usually keep buying different cases. Keep changing wallpapers and launchers. Well, not launchers. Just the wallpapers. I like the stock launcher on S7. Does what I need to do.

I'm bored. Already. I have almost 15 cases. I switch them up almost every day. But that's it. I rarely change the theme of the phone. Running out of ideas what to do.

What do you people do to keep your experience fresh?

I used to have the same habit of changing phones every month or sometimes just in a week until i learned about rooting and about custom roms. Believe me or not i changed around 60 phones in just 4 years. I used to sell my last device for money or in exchange for a new device.

But last year when i got my new Xiaomi Mi4 (if u dont know about this phone, check it out its a great phone) ive been using it for more than 7 months now. I learned how to root and install a custom rom with my previous devices. So in a week of getting my new phone i rooted it and i installed a custom rom.

Best thing about Xiaomi and Oneplus devices is that ur warranty wont be void even if u root or install another rom. So i tried every other rom that has been developed for this device.

That feeling of setting up the phone from the scratch, installing all the apps and setting up my accs just felt awesome. I still own the same phone and i plan on keeping it even if i buy a new phone.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Haha I think that you have a problem. Jk/lol

Whatever android device I use I always download the nova launcher. Change the theme and icons all the time to keep it feeling different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress