Galaxy S7 Camera vs iPhone 7 Plus

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Is the camera on the new iPhone 7 Plus expected to knock our S7 from the top of the camera phone heap?

Samsung Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7: Camera
Samsung's camera tech is pretty impressive and capable, while also being extremely easy to use and get good results for even the most inexperienced and non-camera-savvy users. It features a 12MP sensor with an f/1.7 aperture size, an optical image stabilisation (OIS) module, dual-LED two-tone flash, and Samsung's amazing dual-pixel phase detection autofocus.

It remains to be seen how well Apple's camera tech performs, but this is where the most advanced changes on the iPhone 7 series have taken place. The standard iPhone 7 model features a 12MP sensor with an f/1.8 aperture, OIS, an updated 6-element lens, a quad-LED TrueTone LED flash with flicker sensor (for capture in artificial lighting), and a new image signal processor. For the larger iPhone 7 Plus model things get even more involved as it has two 12MP sensors in a dual-sensor setup; one sensor has a telephoto lens and the other a wide-angle lens; combining all the image data for a much more detailed image as standard, but also allowing for a x2 optical zoom and 10x software zoom, and Bokeh depth-of-field effects.

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7: Camera
Samsung's camera tech is pretty impressive and capable, while also being extremely easy to use and get good results for even the most inexperienced and non-camera-savvy users. It features a 12MP sensor with an f/1.7 aperture size, an optical image stabilisation (OIS) module, dual-LED two-tone flash, and Samsung's amazing dual-pixel phase detection autofocus.

It remains to be seen how well Apple's camera tech performs, but this is where the most advanced changes on the iPhone 7 series have taken place. The standard iPhone 7 model features a 12MP sensor with an f/1.8 aperture, OIS, an updated 6-element lens, a quad-LED TrueTone LED flash with flicker sensor (for capture in artificial lighting), and a new image signal processor. For the larger iPhone 7 Plus model things get even more involved as it has two 12MP sensors in a dual-sensor setup; one sensor has a telephoto lens and the other a wide-angle lens; combining all the image data for a much more detailed image as standard, but also allowing for a x2 optical zoom and 10x software zoom, and Bokeh depth-of-field effects.
Is lower aperture better or the higher the better?

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I've got the Galaxy s7, my wife got her iPhone 7 plus today and I've been playing with the dual cameras on hers and taking photo comparisons with my s7. Have to say her camera is fantastic and as good as mine and in some ways better. It really is awesome

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I'd read all that info earlier. I bought the S7 phone for the camera and have been very happy with it. Apple anything is against my religion so no matter what, I won't be entering the Apple zone! Just wondering what people that had gotten their hands on a test model or know of someone that did (and of course by now, millions of photos have been taken with the new iPhone 7(+) ) :) Anxious to see some YouTube comparisons. The two examples I saw of "selective focus" had the subject very near to the lens or was using the optical zoom (which is only 2x).

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Is lower aperture better or the higher the better?
1.7 is better than 1.8 in as it lets in a tad more light. The smaller the aperture number the more light reaches the sensor.
And the smaller the aperture the better the bokah/blurred background. Probably not a lot of difference between 1.7 and 1.8.
Here is a diagram that might help. Oh I'll just post the entire webpage.
https://www.quora.com/Which-aperture-is-better-for-a-mobile-camera-F1-8-F2-0-or-F2-2

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I've got the Galaxy s7, my wife got her iPhone 7 plus today and I've been playing with the dual cameras on hers and taking photo comparisons with my s7. Have to say her camera is fantastic and as good as mine and in some ways better. It really is awesome

Is the camera focus as fast? I read that the dual camera is for a telephoto mode. How is the quad LED flash compared to the flash on the S7?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
So far, from thay video, iPhone camera is zoomed closer and has warmer colors than the S7. The detail seems better on the iPhone 7 due to zoom level (more pixels go into making a specific item onscreen), as the S7 shoots more of the view. The front facing camera seems comparable except for the color temp.

NiffiIsenguard

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
I'd say the s7 is solid camera

(Taken from Keithurban concert ) zoom is a bit wonky but I'm posting some pics for comparison. Zoom low light turned out really well actually
First no zoom
2nd is zoom low light
3rd is max zoom low light

Attachments

• 2222.jpg
    2222.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 25

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Is the camera focus as fast? I read that the dual camera is for a telephoto mode. How is the quad LED flash compared to the flash on the S7?

I've not tried the flash yet but the focus was lightning fast. My 15 month old daughter was constantly moving and the focus square was constantly keeping up with her. The photos of her had great depth to them to like you would see with a DSLR. I'm not knocking the s7 camera whatsoever, it's fantastic. My only problem with it is when you zoom in or crop photos you lose a lot of detail. The zoom lens on the iPhone is great for those kinds of shots so you don't have to zoom in and lose detail

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The zoom lens on the iPhone is great for those kinds of shots so you don't have to zoom in and lose detail
That's true in any optical vs digital zoom argument. I've always wondered with optical zoom never became a thing. It was tried long ago with the N93. The Galaxy Camera was great though, it was just too bulky.

HAWK

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
How much better does the camera really need to be? The camera on the s7 is good enough for anyone honestly regardless of how good apples is

callihan_44

May 2, 2014
Visit site
all the comparisons ive read so far state the s7 camera is better than the iPhone 7, one video also shown how the s7 recorded audio in videos is better as well

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch