SM-930U unlocked Phone, no updates since Sept 1 Update!!

davebwi

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
Hello All,
I wanted to start a discussion on the Unlocked Samsung S7. The model # SM-930U .
Myself and several other Unlocked owners (including the SM-935U) can not get Samsung to respond to why we are not getting any updates on our phones. the last update was ending in PI3. the AT&T version of this phone is already on PK1, November Updates.
Samsing will not respond to why the neglect of this Premium Paid phone!
So please, anyone with either a 930U or a 935U.Please reply to this post. As I said the Samsung+ App were we posted, is worthless for reaching anyone over at Samsung..All we get is a canned response...
Thanks, Dave

Enverdaz

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
S7 G930U / G935U Security Updates [ Edited ]
I am hoping to get a real answer here.
I spent top dollar for the FLAGSHIP of the Samsung Galaxy line, the S7. I opted for the UNLOCKED US edition, the G930U. I was lead to believe that Samsung would have better control over the release of Security Updates and potentially stand in a better position for becoming a part of the Beta Program(s) like the one currently running for the Carrier branded devices testing Android 7.0 Nougat.
Apparently, Samsung has forgotten that they even released a carrier free version of the devices in the US at all. The rest of the world's S7's are on the October or even the November Security Update level, however, the G930U and the G935U, the 2 US variants of the Unlocked type are still on the September 1st patch level. It's December now.

I paid for the premium experience. I have gotten the shaft. In the United States, Unlocked device demand is on the rise. Samsung MUST live up to it's promise to provide the service that we Unlocked users deserve. There is no acceptable excuse for this lack of communication and for taking advantage of the consumer. If the 930F, the international version, can be updated monthly and every US Carrier branded version can be updated with proper support, then there is no acceptable reason why the Unlocked variants cannot be kept up to date with with the rest of the WORLD !!
I absolutely love the phone itself. I am taking issue with the lack of support for it that the rest of the devices are getting.
This issue will end up costing Samsung even more loss of Trust in it's products if it goes unmanaged. Word of mouth spreads fast. Reputations can be irreparably ruined by such failure of service. I have done my part, I paid full price for the device. Now it's only right and fair for Samsung to do it's part and live up to it's promises.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Have patience, Grasshoppers. Not all updates are for security. Perhaps your phones don't need to be updated.

davebwi

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
Have patience, Grasshoppers. Not all updates are for security. Perhaps your phones don't need to be updated.
Wll these Updates are some very important security updates...per Google.
But the fact remains that the Unlocked Phones are supposed to be flagship phones that get updates of all types before carrier types.
Look at the just released Nougat update from HTC for the M9.... Unlocked phones first.... Samsung is doing the opposite. and everyone should realize that Unlocked phones are purchased by Technically Knowledgeable Customers. And we are people that other people look to for recommendations..SAMSUNG must not get this concept.
Thanks Dave

jadkai

Dec 1, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, the European unlocked Galaxy S5 is apparently getting the November security patch before the G930U. Yes, a two-year-old model is getting updates prior to the current flagship getting them in the USA. It's infuriating, since supposed experts playing up how much faster updates came to unlocked variants was one of the driving factors behind my decision to purchase it. I may have to flash a carrier firmware if Samsung doesn't improve in the next few months, just to get security patches.

davebwi

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
It makes no sense to me. I don't understand the complete lack of support on a Flagship device. the SM-930U came out after the carrier versions.
Its newer, why no updates.Please ,anyone have an IN at Samsung to find out why?
Thanks, Dave

Enverdaz

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
*Bump

Anyone from Samsung even Read this?
Chime in. We really would appreciate a real answer and not some canned reply that could easily be used to describe a toaster !!
What's the hold up?
These are FLAGSHIP devices, not mid or entry level devices, which I might add, ARE GETTING BETTER SUPPORT !?! The J series just saw the November patch!

The_Newtype

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Please read the security bulletins that both Samsung and Google put out describing security holes before you comment that the 930U/935U don't need to be updated. Devices are patched because they are vulnerable; Samsung doesn't patch their devices and use resources to update firmware because they enjoy it.

djepperson1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Please read the security bulletins that both Samsung and Google put out describing security holes before you comment that the 930U/935U don't need to be updated. Devices are patched because they are vulnerable; Samsung doesn't patch their devices and use resources to update firmware because they enjoy it.

You are absolutely correct I have a unlocked version and a carrier version in the process of selling the unlocked version for this exact reason love the phone can't accept the lack of updates

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
This is why I sold both of my unlocked S7 and S7 Edge models. While the carrier versions have gotten consistent updates, these two have been left on old security patches. One typically goes unlocked for faster updates, but Samsung clearly never got the memo. With the S8, I'll likely be going with a carrier version. Not worth paying a premium for an unlocked model if it's going to be treated like a second-class citizen.

davebwi

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
This is why I sold both of my unlocked S7 and S7 Edge models. While the carrier versions have gotten consistent updates, these two have been left on old security patches. One typically goes unlocked for faster updates, but Samsung clearly never got the memo. With the S8, I'll likely be going with a carrier version. Not worth paying a premium for an unlocked model if it's going to be treated like a second-class citizen.
Absolutely correct..I never heard of an Unlocked Phone being left behind.It Is why I bought It. For more frequent updates , and Beta Testing.( That benefits the manufacturer!!!!) Neither options are availiable to the SM-930U or 935U...If they ,Samsung, wonders why sales if thrse devices are down.....maybe the should read these posts!!!!.
But Sadly, they just dont care....
Thanks, Dave....another disapointed Samsung user..

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Hello All,
I wanted to start a discussion on the Unlocked Samsung S7. The model # SM-930U .
Myself and several other Unlocked owners (including the SM-935U) can not get Samsung to respond to why we are not getting any updates on our phones. the last update was ending in PI3. the AT&T version of this phone is already on PK1, November Updates.
Samsing will not respond to why the neglect of this Premium Paid phone!
So please, anyone with either a 930U or a 935U.Please reply to this post. As I said the Samsung+ App were we posted, is worthless for reaching anyone over at Samsung..All we get is a canned response...
Thanks, Dave

It's not just about getting an Unlocked phone. It mostly depends on the firmware and the region that firmware belongs to.

I got the S7 edge unlocked international version. It had the Indian firmware which was receiving all the new updates. But I went ahead and flashed the firmware for my own region, Pakistan. I stopped getting updates after August because Samsung Pakistan is stupid and don't really care.

Your phone must be running a firmware based on a region which is slow in getting updates. There are many ways to check what region you're running.

But if you want speedy updates, don't waste time, go download a UK or Indian Firmware from sammobile for your phone model and flash it via Odin.

UK and India get regular updates.

Again, it's not just about the model. It's about the firmware as well.

davebwi

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the Reply, You are correct in what you suggest.Its just that Sansung Made this model for the USA . They specifically made this for USA customers who wanted the advantage of Unlocked from carriers..So that we could get timely updates and Beta access..I dont want to void my warranty to get security fixes that Sansung SHOULD want everyone to have.
Thanks Dave

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I just don't understand why you are getting yourselves so worked up over a phone. IT'S A MOBILE TELEPHONE. Is it really worth raising your blood pressure and losing sleep over a PHONE?
The updates will come when they are ready.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the Reply, You are correct in what you suggest.Its just that Sansung Made this model for the USA . They specifically made this for USA customers who wanted the advantage of Unlocked from carriers..So that we could get timely updates and Beta access..I dont want to void my warranty to get security fixes that Sansung SHOULD want everyone to have.
Thanks Dave

No no. Flashing a firmware doesn't void warranty. It's not rooting the phone. It's an official way to change firmwares. And it's very simple to do.

Go onto sammobile>firmwares
Type your model number
You'll find official stock firmwares from different regions
Select one of the popular ones (you can select any)
Select the latest one
Download it
There's procedure written at the bottom of the page too

I used to be hesitant in doing this. But once I did it, I thought why have I never done this before. It's so easy.

Again, it doesn't void your warranty.
You can ask others to confirm. But I know it doesn't.

yubeie

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
No no. Flashing a firmware doesn't void warranty. It's not rooting the phone. It's an official way to change firmwares. And it's very simple to do.

Go onto sammobile>firmwares
Type your model number
You'll find official stock firmwares from different regions
Select one of the popular ones (you can select any)
Select the latest one
Download it
There's procedure written at the bottom of the page too

I used to be hesitant in doing this. But once I did it, I thought why have I never done this before. It's so easy.

Again, it doesn't void your warranty.
You can ask others to confirm. But I know it doesn't.

yes it shouldn't.. your are flashing"official" firmware with no changes to bootloader or recovery. The biggest downside is that the US model being a Snapdragon variant..I think there are very few regions that are using it. So, I'm not sure how frequent the updates are with respect to those regions.

davebwi

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
yes it shouldn't.. your are flashing"official" firmware with no changes to bootloader or recovery. The biggest downside is that the US model being a Snapdragon variant..I think there are very few regions that are using it. So, I'm not sure how frequent the updates are with respect to those regions.

You are correct ,USA Firmware is hard to Find... I would love to get the AT&T latest firmware to Flash my unlocked 930U.. BUT Those arent on the Sammy site... old one are?

jadkai

Dec 1, 2016
Visit site
I just don't understand why you are getting yourselves so worked up over a phone. IT'S A MOBILE TELEPHONE. Is it really worth raising your blood pressure and losing sleep over a PHONE?
The updates will come when they are ready.

It is a device that contains lots of personal information and is more likely than any other device that I own to connect to lots of untrusted networks. If I can't convince you that device security is important, well that's really your problem. But it is anything but unreasonable to be upset about Samsung's negligence.

auditman

May 31, 2011
Visit site
It is a device that contains lots of personal information and is more likely than any other device that I own to connect to lots of untrusted networks. If I can't convince you that device security is important, well that's really your problem. But it is anything but unreasonable to be upset about Samsung's negligence.

Very unfair yes. I own the global version of s7 and it gets update 2x a month.