Accessing Gboard gif feature through wifi instead of cell network

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is a Samsung issue or gboard issue* (or general android issue). Anyhow, I notice when I try to access the gif feature on the gboard, I have little luck when my cell service is poor, and it's pretty bad at my house (-105 to -115). The circle just spins and spins, and no gifs come up.

However, clearly on my iPhone, it searches the gifs through wifi, as I'm able to still find gifs on gboard on my old iphone, which is only linked to wifi. Anybody know if there is a way to make it to where gboard on the S7 will utilize wifi for the gif feature over cell signal. I've found this very frustrating.

*Pretty sure it's not specific to gboard as I have a similar problem if I try to utilize Textra's gif feature too.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't know of a way of 'prioritizing' one connection over the other, but if you're connected to WiFi, the phone should be using that for data, not your mobile connection. If you are on WiFi, does the keyboard search for GIFs or does't 'hang'? The S7 does have a feature called 'Smart Network Switch', but it does the opposite of what you want: If it detects a poor connection over WiFi, it will switch to mobile data automatically.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
I don't know of a way of 'prioritizing' one connection over the other, but if you're connected to WiFi, the phone should be using that for data, not your mobile connection. If you are on WiFi, does the keyboard search for GIFs or does't 'hang'? The S7 does have a feature called 'Smart Network Switch', but it does the opposite of what you want: If it detects a poor connection over WiFi, it will switch to mobile data automatically.

It hangs even when wifi is connected (always is at home). But when I have a better cell signal, it doesn't seem to be an issue. Just checked, and it actually appears to not even be a priority issue. When I turn airplane mode on and then reactivate wifi so I'm only using wifi and no cell signal, the same thing happens. (And I double checked through other apps that the wifi was working). So for some reason the Gboard (and textra) gif feature only tries to utilize the cell phone. Really odd and annoying.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Mmm... I don't have the Google Keyboard one, but I just tested my S7 Edge with Textra and GIF search works both on mobile data and WiFi. Do you notice any other apps losing connection over WiFi or just this one feature? Maybe your WiFi doesn't have access to Giphy.com (that's what powers Textra's GIF search and wouldn't surprise me if it powers Google's too)?

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Mmm... I don't have the Google Keyboard one, but I just tested my S7 Edge with Textra and GIF search works both on mobile data and WiFi. Do you notice any other apps losing connection over WiFi or just this one feature? Maybe your WiFi doesn't have access to Giphy.com (that's what powers Textra's GIF search and wouldn't surprise me if it powers Google's too)?

Tried to do so with only wifi on with Textra, and the same problem occurs. My wifi on my macbook has no problem accessing giphy, and I believe gboard uses a variety of sources (which is why I prefer it to Textra's gif feature). I haven't noticed this as a problem with any other apps. I have no idea what's going on. I appreciate you trying to help!

I should add that it's clearly not just a Gif problem, as it extends to the google search within the gboard. Hangs when I try to search for anything under the same circumstances.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
OK, try booting into Safe Mode. Does the same happen there? Are you using the GIF feature just while texting or does it happen for GBoard on any other app?

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
OK, try booting into Safe Mode. Does the same happen there? Are you using the GIF feature just while texting or does it happen for GBoard on any other app?

So another strange update. I don't know about other apps, because Google messenger and Textra are the only apps I use that have gboard's gif feature. But again, it does go beyond Gboard since it gives me problems in textras gif feature as well.

Anyhow, to the update. While I've replicated the problem on my wifi at work (like home), when I tried at the local YMCA, everything worked fine. So it seems to play nicely with some wifi but not others.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Mmmm... so strange! Although if it works in some WiFi networks I wonder if the backend server is blocked somehow in those networks.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
I can't ever seem to use gboards gif feature but txtra works fine for me on wifi or cell.

Really annoying I can't figure out why neither will work for me over wifi. I like to text GIFs regularly, and to not me able to do so when at home is frustrating.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Update...This problem certainly extends beyond GIF access. I was trying to contact support through the android auto app (because it's horrible), and got the message "Network request failed" despite being on wifi. But I have no problems accessing chrome or facebook via wifi. Also, I'v found if I turn wifi off, these problems go away (even with my week signal).

So it seems the problem is related to wifi (wish I could change the thread title), but is the root of the problem my phone and how it's connecting to my wifi? Or is my (AT&T) internet the problem? I don't know. But I know this is really annoying me. I have tried dozens of google searches and combed this site, and cannot find any solutions (or people experiencing similar problems).

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Update...This problem certainly extends beyond GIF access. I was trying to contact support through the android auto app (because it's horrible), and got the message "Network request failed" despite being on wifi. But I have no problems accessing chrome or facebook via wifi. Also, I'v found if I turn wifi off, these problems go away (even with my week signal).

So it seems the problem is related to wifi (wish I could change the thread title), but is the root of the problem my phone and how it's connecting to my wifi? Or is my (AT&T) internet the problem? I don't know. But I know this is really annoying me. I have tried dozens of google searches and combed this site, and cannot find any solutions (or people experiencing similar problems).

Have you tried a different device with the same app (GBoard or Textra GIF search) on the same WiFi? If it's the network, both devices should fail. If it's the device, only yours would fail while the other GIFs away.

Since you said that the problem is not present in another WiFi network, I'm more inclined to believe it is, indeed, a WiFi issue and not your phone's, but the above would be a sure way to test.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Have you tried a different device with the same app (GBoard or Textra GIF search) on the same WiFi? If it's the network, both devices should fail. If it's the device, only yours would fail while the other GIFs away.

Since you said that the problem is not present in another WiFi network, I'm more inclined to believe it is, indeed, a WiFi issue and not your phone's, but the above would be a sure way to test.

Unfortunately, my phone is my only android device.

Thanks for following up again!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, as long as they have Android it should be a fair comparison to see if the issue is your phone or the network (if it's the network, even an iPhone would work, or rather wouldn't, in theory).

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Yup, as long as they have Android it should be a fair comparison to see if the issue is your phone or the network (if it's the network, even an iPhone would work, or rather wouldn't, in theory).

Never had the problem with my iPhone when trying to use the GBoard for gifs (or anything similar). So while the network seems to be the problem, it doesn't seem to impact smartphones broadly. Question is it down to the networks interaction with android phones, Samsung phones, or just my phone...

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
I've also found another app this extends to. When trying to upload photos through Flickr, I have to turn wifi off when at home. As we've already figured out, clearly something screwy with the interaction between my S7 and my (UVerse) wifi. Haven't had any Android friends come over to check their phones yet.