Are There Any HAPPY Nougat Users?

buelowp

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Not happy nor unhappy. Some things are nicer, but some things seem odd. Pry me just getting used to it. I do notice that doze seems to be way more diligent, to the point that if my phone sits for a few hours, and then gets bumped, I got a whole host of notices. That seemed to be less of a problem in 6, where it would wake up and dole out some notifications and not leave my pocket vibrate for 2 minutes straight. My phone is also currently having some battery issues, but I suspect I just need to tailor all of the new settings better. Irks me I have to, but so be it.

1naturalace

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm happy with the update. My battery life is a little better and I like the features and look of nougat. The only gripe I have is my settings menu being broken but I can live with that.

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I love it! I was a real "anti-TouchWiz" before they started making it look better but this is the best looking version yet. Great to use, light, on par with the whole Material Design thing.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Some state they have done the update without having to do a factory reset afterwards and some have gone the extra mile to give their phones a clean slate. This is SOLELY your choice, based on performance or issues that may creep up afterwards. Personally, I only do it if a problem arises.

Otherwise, the update to Nougat was very smooth and no problems. It goes to show how Android has evolved over the years making things easier for the OEMs to place on their devices with little or no issues.

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Some state they have done the update without having to do a factory reset afterwards and some have gone the extra mile to give their phones a clean slate. This is SOLELY your choice, based on performance or issues that may creep up afterwards. Personally, I only do it if a problem arises.

Otherwise, the update to Nougat was very smooth and no problems. It goes to show how Android has evolved over the years making things easier for the OEMs to place on their devices with little or no issues.

I always do factory resets no matter the device. It's a habit I took because Windows has never been able to handle upgrade properly. I prefer it to be clean and not have anything remaining for an older version.

jhickin

May 27, 2015
Visit site
I picked up the S7 when TMobile was selling them for $360. The nougat update was available when I bought it, so I don't have anything to compare it to. After it installed, I did a factory reset. It's been running smoothly for me so far. No real issues. I noticed that some of my apps crash more than they did on my V10, though.

TammyGenne

Oct 23, 2016
Visit site
I just updated yesterday, but I like it so far. You can make the font huge so I can see so much more!! There's a few things to get used to, but I don't think that will take long. One thing I noticed, it seems to run faster!!!

dmevis

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Nougat install went pretty well on my S7. A couple of apps disappeared (guessing they were incompatible with Nougat), and some icons disappeared from my Nova Launcher, but were easy to add back in.

The only real "problem" I have with Nougat is the extremely small font size on the Notification Shade.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Contrarian here. I don't appreciate all the trouble I had (hours spent, including an unwanted FR due to the update (done thru my PC, when the phone was sitting on the update OS screen from it's own update app) NEVER getting rid of a screen that said it was downloading the update! I finally gave up and did a FR reset. Then I had trouble on the new OS getting any of my many backups for Nova launcher to work. And there have been other issues, all of which caused me to spend more hours than I care to count.

For all that effort, I have honestly not found ONE feature that I think is compelling. My phone worked fine prior to the update.

But if you out there on the forum like the update's features, that's fine--I'm not arguing with you.

JF2014

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
At first I was fine with Nougat. Over the past few days however, I've come across a number of things that seem to have broken with the update.

I can no longer attach a file from Dropbox when composing an e-mail; Dropbox simply isn't present as an option.

My Netflix app no longer gives me the option to cast to Chromecast. Other apps still do...?

I'm not a fan of how the dialler lacks a Favorites tab. I constantly have to scroll back to the top to make a call to my favorites.

I also dislike that folders don't close on their own when closing the app; you're back in the folder rather than your home screen.

"Google Play Services has stopped"... I get this error many, many times per day.

Smart Lock seems to be flaky - about as bad as I found it a year ago when I got my phone. It shaped up over the months after a few MM updates, but now it's bad again.

BT connectivity seems flaky as well. Takes longer to connect with my vehicles than before.

It seems like this update is half-baked, at least for me.

Last edited:

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
The Nougat install went pretty well on my S7. A couple of apps disappeared (guessing they were incompatible with Nougat), and some icons disappeared from my Nova Launcher, but were easy to add back in.

The only real "problem" I have with Nougat is the extremely small font size on the Notification Shade.

Can't the font size be increased on the Notification Shade? I already have a hard enough time seeing some parts of the phone's text, smaller is a deal breaker.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies! I'm normally an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" type of gal but was curious about N. All the hate threads made me wonder if ANYone liked it.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Lol! You sure got a few responses!
Personally I don't like Nougat, it crashed my phone on install, they had to factory reset it which is a major pain in the butt!
The battery life isn't any better really unless I dumb it right down.
The updates control is gone, I can't choose not to update, and there are other useful things that they stopped.
The UI is boring, the whole thing is reminiscent of a school project.

That said, there are good things too, so it's not all bad. Just the same, my S6 is staying on M.

JonovisioC

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Increase the screen zoom if you want the notification shade font larger then reduce the font size. Also you can try Samsung Sans for the font, it's a little larger.

Some must have features of nougat for me was the better doze and lack of drain. Blue light filter, and the bundled notifications together with the nicer notification shsde.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
The battery life isn't any better really unless I dumb it right down.

I can't STAND a dumb smartphone! If I wanted a dumbphone, I wouldn't have bought a smartphone :eek: Just a little peeve of mine...people buying smartphones and disabling everything so their battery will last longer LOL
It's tempting but I think I'll wait awhile for the OS to become more stable and some features fixed/changed.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
My Netflix app no longer gives me the option to cast to Chromecast. Other apps still do...?
this is a Netflix issue.
I have the same issues across many devices, LG, Moto, Samsung tablet running paranoid Android. Usually just clearing the app works, I have also had to reinstall.