Verizon Galaxy S8 Can't receive MMS on stock texting app?

amyinva

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Photos sent by text won't download at all, keep getting errors. I have it set to auto-retrieve MMS. Mobile data is turned on. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Last edited:

cnjvh

May 2, 2016
Visit site
Some phones/carriers won't allow MMS over Wi-Fi. Try leaving cell data on and turning Wi-Fi off while trying to access the MMS message.

cboekhoven

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I am running into the same problem with my S8+ on verizon. I can disable Wi-Fi and sure enough the MMS comes through no problem. Problem is, I could receive MMS while Wi-Fi was enabled on my Pixel XL that was on Verizon so this doesn't seem like a case of the "my carrier is blocking this from happening the way common sense would lead you to believe it should work". It seems like a legitimate bug/problem.

thoml67

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Me and a co worker are having the same problem on Tmo. Can't send or receive MMS or group text messages while WiFi is turned on however just like you, when I turn off WiFi, they work. I had a Nexus 6 on Project Fi and had no issues whatsoever.

gtixpress

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I noticed an issue this weekend in that Google's "Android Messages" won't send MMS while Wifi is connected. Just normal SMS would work. However, with Wifi connected, the default Verizon Messages+ app would send MMS just fine. Pretty annoying.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Are you still experiencing this issue, OP? As another user stated, try keeping your WiFi off while trying to download MMS; and see what happens!

kevron75

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Leaving wifi off to retrieve an MMS is not a good answer. I rely heavily on MMS messages as my work sends group messages among employees. I need to hear the notification without manually turning off wifi. I also need to leave wifi on for several reasons including applications we use at work which require wifi. This is a serious issue for me which needs to be addressed by Samsung ASAP.

Tahoe916

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I think it's related to wifi calling being the default. Turning off wifi calling may fix it. I've had this problem with my last two phones and using Textra was my solution as well.

rpoli86

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
I've been using Textra for a year now and this MMS problem is still happening on the GS8+. It's driving me crazy as my company relies on texting heavily for work.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I think it's related to wifi calling being the default. Turning off wifi calling may fix it. I've had this problem with my last two phones and using Textra was my solution as well.

This is usually the answer. Turning off wifi calling is the first thing I do when faced w/this issue.

For T-mobile, I usually have to add a new APN setting with ipv4/ipv6 replacing ipv6 and keeping the other settings from the default setting.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

This very well could be the problem. I don't have WiFi calling on at all and don't run into any issues with MMS on my Verizon S8 w/ Textra (or phones before it).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo