Will you miss the 3.5mm jack?

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Screw that. I want my headphone jack. They've done fine with it so far, the only reason to remove it is because Apple did so (and that's a poor reason to do so).

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
But that's not really the only reason. Just like the move to USB-C, tech is moving in that direction. Apple, Samsung and Motorola all lead the way in making those changes.

It will hopefully allow for a sleeker design, larger battery and more wireless accessories.

Nylana237

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
Yes! I play white noise or rain sounds when I sleep and that requires my phone frequently be plugged in to charge AND have earbuds plugged in. Almost all the wireless earbuds that are good for sleeping are headbands or sleep masks and I don't want either of those.At work this means I'm going to have to get a wireless charger for my desk so I can charge and listen to music.

Why are companies constantly aiming for super thin phones at the expense of common, convenient standards for their customers?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I just read about this on Android Authority's link on Facebook.

I find this ridiculous, to be honest. If you take out the jack, then you automatically open up the doors for your customers to spend more money on Bluetooth headphones and things they may not want to spend money on in the first place.

I'm hoping this is not a true allegation, as I feel like Android usually goes the more economical route of not forcing customers to buy high end or brand name products/accessories to work with their devices (ie, when you buy an iPhone, you need all Apple-related products to work with your phone). Hopefully Samsung changes this in the future on next iterations if it's more than just a rumour.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Manufacturers such as Beats, Sennheiser, and Bose still provide a large number of headphones utilizing the 3.5mm jack. Many of those headphones can last a long time and are still being purchased by consumers.

Wireless isn't better, but just an alternative way of connecting. I would like to see another year of 3.5mm headphone jacks available but if not, so be it. If Samsung removes it, I hope that the big manufactures recognize the trend with Apple and Samsung and bump up production on affordable USB-c headphones.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Yes... I will miss the 3.5mm jack! I ise the jack a lot plugging right into my sound system in my 4Runner V8. Just like I'll miss the flat screen, as Sammy is probably going to curved.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Not really.

I do use my headphone jack almost every day. Whether it's listing to podcasts on the weekend or watching tech review videos on YouTube, my headphone jack is a high traffic area but I could always switch over to Bluetooth headphones if needed but I like my cable.

Posted via Android Central App

JDfan3340

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
What do you think of the info on the S8 that is starting to come out???

I have to say, so far I'm not impressed with the info leaking about the S8. I like my home button, and don't use fingerprints. And no headphone jack?? Not cool. Now I'm hearing about a bezel-less display. I'm just not liking any of it. I can see that display being a HUGE issue for cases and screen protectors. It was hard enough with the Note 7 and the S7 Edge. What are your thoughts?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: What do you think of the info on the S8 that is starting to come out???

No bezels sounds like a bad idea, glad to see the home button die, no headphone jack is a bad idea but it is tolerable.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I don't care about the home button or headphone jack. Once I went to Bluetooth headphones I LOVE it and can't go back to wires. Right now only time I use headphone jack is if I hook up phone to my vans auxiliary port (current stereo setup doesn't have Bluetooth option)