I've got the Samsung Galaxy S III, ASK ME QUESTIONS!

brewzer

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently on Sprint but since they refuse to allow me to pay to upgrade early while allowing others to do this I am done with them. I am tired of their slow 3G speeds and lack of 4G. I live in Spokane, WA so it's not like I am in some podunk place out in the middle of BFE. I am going to pay $50 to terminate my contract early and leave them in the dust.

That said, my good friend is a salesman for AT&T and he is going to get me a discount on the phone I purchase along with a discount on my monthly service and will waive the acitvation fee. I'm either getting the One X or the SG III and I appreciate the information in this thread. My decision will wait until AC releases their review and comparisons of the two phones so please hurry up! :D

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I heard that the wallpapers are all static when you scroll.
Will third party launchers bring back the wallpaper panning as you scroll through home screens?
Yep. Just tried Nova and it scrolls as normal.
Can you hold it back to back with a GNex (or other phone that uses the stock Android Beam feature) and see if S Beam is compatible?
No. S Beam is proprietary and works only on Galaxy S III's at the moment (though I'm sure we'll see it on some future Samsung phones too).
@Alex Dobie, first of all, thanks!

I have more of a question about an S3 accessory than the phone itself, the C-Pen. How does the Samsung Galaxy 3 compare with the Samsung Galaxy Note?

For the (very) little bit that I have read about the C-Pen, it does not seem to differ much in terms of functionality from the S-Pen. If that is the case, and the S3 supports the "doodling" and handwriting functionality of the G-Note, then it would seem that the S3 is an upgrade to the G-Note. A slightly smaller upgrade but an upgrade nonetheless.

So I am interested in how the S3 compares to the G-Note, especially the C-Pen (although it is an accessory to the S3 and not "Built-in") and the S-Pen.

Thanks in advance.
Don't have the C-Pen here (most of the accessories aren't out yet). But as it's capacitive, it won't match the precision and sensitivity of the Wacom stylus on the Galaxy Note.

Can you surf the web, and talk on the phone at the same time over 3G?
It's a GSM phone, so yes.
Thank you Alex for answering all our questions even if some of us ask silly ones too.

In order to decide for a device even the silly questions are important as well.

I live in the UK and been holding out on buying the ONE X just to see what the GS III will be like and have a question. Does the phone have heating problems when playing games for a long time or when doing heavy multitasking? I know all the new phones have some sort of heat after using the phone to play games or use GPS but its nice to know how the S III compares. Summer is here as well hopefully it doesn't heat to be uncomfortable.

Can't wait for the AC review :)

Thanks.
No heat problems with the S III in my experience. (Same goes for the One X)

Just thought of a couple more questions.

1. Since we are running Touchwiz here, do we still have to create a folder and then dump apps into it, or, since we are running ICS, can we just put one app over the other and it will create a folder itself?

2. Since we are on the topic of folders, can you have a folder in the dock?
1. Yep, you still need to handle folders the old-fashioned way.

2. Yes, you can put folders in the dock.
As someone who's coming from Blackberry, how is the led notification light? Customizable at all?

thanks! :)
Nope, but I bet you could find an app to do that.

Out of the box you get a red glow for charging, a green glow when it's finished charging, and a flashing blue light for notifications.

I've got a question: when is mine arriving? Carphonewarehouse took my ?500 3 weeks ago and now tell me it won't be here until the 19th of June at the earliest. That'll be 5 weeks they have had my money and I'd get it at the same time if I ordered it now. Should have left the money in my account.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Did you order a pebble blue? If so, maybe they can swap you for a marble white. (Or a refund)

Does it get blue stains like the One X? Lol :p And do you have a pebble? Does it work nicely?
No stains of any description :p

Nope. Mine is marble white. I actually thought the pebble blues they had at the launch event looked a bit weird.

coinmanmat

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Well im glad to hear the Galaxy S III doesn't overheat when multitasking and heavy use of the phone but does it heat up when charging it? One of the issues with some of the Galaxy S II and Galaxy S models is that they overheat from useage or charging

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

junglejunkie

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
You can sideload flip board. I have it on my Sensation...

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G with Beats Audio using Android Central Forums

thirsy1258

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
You may have answered bit what is your battery life. Does all the sound effects vibrations and such drain it. Also how is the eye awake feature

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

v1rtu4l

May 22, 2012
Visit site
smart stay works very good (if you know it's limitations). it wont work in total darkness (i.e. while reading in bed at night) and it wont work if you "disguise" your face by putting your hand in front of your eyes or mouth or something. so as long as it sees your face and eyes its ok.

battery is very good (for my liking) had more then 4 hours of display time with normal use (meaning, i did nothing to enhance the display time, like only playing dark video or stuff).
i took ca. 100 photos, used wifi-direct to transfer several mb of mp3s (really great, as it only took a minute or so). it was on over night as well with googlemail syncing and added exchange syncing, whatsapp and chaton activated. overall time on battery was kind of one day and 4 hours or something (it was at 4% battery at this point, when it went out by itseld while i was making a call :p)
i am only on my first charging cycle though

Reactions: thirsy1258

thirsy1258

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Thank you. This sounds very cool. I was going to keep my nexus but I think I will trade up as I need battery for work

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
No. S Beam is proprietary and works only on Galaxy S III's at the moment (though I'm sure we'll see it on some future Samsung phones too)

Cool, thanks for checking! Was curious about this but never saw the answer anywhere, even in reviews that held the two phones side by side to compare haha. Not that it's going to make much of a difference anyway, but hopefully it's something I could flash onto my GNex anyway :)

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Cool, thanks for checking! Was curious about this but never saw the answer anywhere, even in reviews that held the two phones side by side to compare haha. Not that it's going to make much of a difference anyway, but hopefully it's something I could flash onto my GNex anyway :)

It also has android bean so it can use that for phones that dont do sbeam

naldonnis

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Right now I have the HTC one s with T-Mobile US. Love my phone, easily replaced my gs2 and haven't looked back. What I want to know is does the gs3 have an oleophobic (I think that's how you spell it) screen like my HTC one s or the g nexus. If so might be one I consider getting later on. Thank you for the response ahead of time.

tbonn41fn

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I told love my HTC one s. Can't do the Samsung the fact they copy the idea from Apple. I think HTC is going to get better with their handsets.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U

jaekim717

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
I know it's been asked but I need to make 100% sure (coming from a fascinate), so the GPS works well and is reliable? That was my biggest complaint with the fascinate. Thanks!

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Hey Alex. So I'm still within my 30 days and was thinking of swapping my One X for a SIII pre-order. Here's my big question. I really like the screen on the One X. Do you think the Galaxy's screen a lot worse to the point where it's going to bother me or make me regret switching after using the One X for a few weeks?

famousstarchriss

#instaflash
May 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if its been brought up but I'll ask it again. Just from what I heard, Samsung had a history with the galaxy phones on reception. Is it it an issue to you? And hows the GPS(any issues with GPS locking)?

Thank you!

Last edited: